*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I would've loaded up the 1st line.

Gaunce-McDavid-Brown

Gaunce can do it all except be strong in the faceoff circle. He's a great playmaker, can seriously score goal even in a heavy trapping team and is hard to get off the puck. He's also strong defensively.

2nd would be:

Curtis-Fox-Burakovsky

I like Fox and Brown on the same line. And last night Fox took a good amount of faceoffs anyways. I bet we see Gaunce on the second tonight with Curtis and Burakovsky to test how that works. If I'm coach, when Wigle comes back I go:

Fox-Gaunce-Brown
Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky
Evans-Strome-Wigle
Maksimovich-Pettit-Betz

I really liked the way McDavid looked on the second last night, lots of speed. Curtis missed a few chances he needs to put in next time though.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
Trade and ERIE Website and World Juniors

Been away on business so here is my first comment on the trade:

Wow what a steal, Gaunce fits right into that Erie Team First mentality and looks like the Otters are going for it all this year. Without a doubt Erie has the best One / Two line combo in the OHL. Kinda Like Chicago in the NHL, where the second line, would be most teams first line.

OtterNews, OtterGolfer, you guys need to let the ERIE front office know that Harper is no longer on the team. He is one of 2 very featured players on the website, clearly visible. I say replace him on the Website with FOX, because he is the OHL MVP this year. I know McDavid is the big deal, but he will be here for at least 2 years and then you can feature him on the site.

Do any of you guys know when the palyers leave for the World Juniors, like I take it there is some sort of pore practice camp right? Looks like what ERIE will lose at least 4 forwards and 1 D. They better invite Brown.

Might make the 2 hr. drive to Mississauga tonight and if so will provide a report, too bad SLUGGERS is not at the Hershey Centre LOL !!!!

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
3rd and 4th lines

If you think you're going to go anywhere in the playoffs by only playing two lines, you are sadly mistaken. The third line, which gave up the goals, was centred by the first star of the game. The kids need to develop the confidence to play against the better teams now so when you need them in the playoffs they will be ready. There is no more perfect time then when you have a big lead.

Styx
Well said, GOD knows this coach knows what he is doing, as much as the players are great, Knoublach just does not get enought credit for having helped turn this team around and get everybody to buy in. Is the an OHL coach of the year award ???

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Been away on business so here is my first comment on the trade:

Wow what a steal, Gaunce fits right into that Erie Team First mentality and looks like the Otters are going for it all this year. Without a doubt Erie has the best One / Two line combo in the OHL. Kinda Like Chicago in the NHL, where the second line, would be most teams first line.

OtterNews, OtterGolfer, you guys need to let the ERIE front office know that Harper is no longer on the team. He is one of 2 very featured players on the website, clearly visible. I say replace him on the Website with FOX, because he is the OHL MVP this year. I know McDavid is the big deal, but he will be here for at least 2 years and then you can feature him on the site.

Do any of you guys know when the palyers leave for the World Juniors, like I take it there is some sort of pore practice camp right? Looks like what ERIE will lose at least 4 forwards and 1 D. They better invite Brown.

Might make the 2 hr. drive to Mississauga tonight and if so will provide a report, too bad SLUGGERS is not at the Hershey Centre LOL !!!!

I like how Gaunce played last night. Makes our top two lines very dangerous, probably the best top 6 in the league. Strome on the third line is solid as well. I don't think they've changed the website backround in over a year. They do need to change that though. Canadian players leave for camp in early December, somewhere around the 9th I believe. We'll lose Brown, Pelech, McDavid, and Gaunce to camp, we'll see how many make the team. Burakovsky and Dansk will be on Team Sweden, Strome on the U17 team. We're going to take quite the hit in that time, hopefully we can hold it together and Williams can steal some games for us.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
Anytime you have a front running team down, you keep them down and make them fear playing you in the future.

I understand completely and see exactly what you're saying, so with that logic.....Erie should be afraid to play London because the last two games haven't been close. Just forget that Erie won the first game.

A team with Guelph's or Erie's or London's firepower won't fear any team regardless how bad they lost the previous game. Sometimes a game just gets away from a good team and the score ends up lopsided.

And if Erie was going to have a collapse, I'm happy in happened in a game that was already decided. This can be used as a big lesson learned while still getting a regulation win against a top rival.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
If you think you're going to go anywhere in the playoffs by only playing two lines, you are sadly mistaken. The third line, which gave up the goals, was centred by the first star of the game. The kids need to develop the confidence to play against the better teams now so when you need them in the playoffs they will be ready. There is no more perfect time then when you have a big lead.

That's right, I didn't realize future Erie's game plans were to play the 2nd and 3rd lines 25 minutes a night against the other teams top lines.

Erie's penalty kill is one of the best in the league. You know who lays a lot on the PK? Betz and Petit. Know who doesn't? McDavid.

No, this team isn't perfect but these guys can play defense. We'll see if they learned anything tonight.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Utter domination, thats the only way to describe tonights game. Gaunce's first goal was pretty junk but whatever gets him on the scoresheet. Hope we can duplicate that effort tomorrow night, if we do we should have no issues getting the win.

Side note: those refs were pretty bad. Carrick took a cheapshot on Burakovsky with under two to go, no call. We trip one of their guys and it gets called. c'mon ref call it even.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
Utter domination, thats the only way to describe tonights game. Gaunce's first goal was pretty junk but whatever gets him on the scoresheet. Hope we can duplicate that effort tomorrow night, if we do we should have no issues getting the win.

Side note: those refs were pretty bad. Carrick took a cheapshot on Burakovsky with under two to go, no call. We trip one of their guys and it gets called. c'mon ref call it even.

I thought the officiating was better than last nights game at least.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I thought the officiating was better than last nights game at least.

agreed, it was. Last night's officiating was brutal. Tonight it wasn't that bad, I was just a bit of upset by them ignoring a call against us but then calling a penalty on us, just because of the score.

BramptonFan09

Jun 2, 2012
Brampton, ON
agreed, it was. Last night's officiating was brutal. Tonight it wasn't that bad, I was just a bit of upset by them ignoring a call against us but then calling a penalty on us, just because of the score.

This one was just down the street from my place so of course I made the trip to see 97 who was unbelievable tonight. The guy could have had 6 goals. He was flying! Erie top 6 is the best in the OHL it was utter domination tonight. Really impressed by the two way play of Mike Curtis too a career year for him hopefully someone takes a chance and gives him a pro tryout. Fox with 30 goals now and brown with 54 points! Anyone who didn't get a chance to see the game missed a lot of talent on display an defies stars did not disappoint.

Again the Defense was outstanding. I think just about everyone would agree that if someone told you a month before training camp that spencer Abraham would even be on this team let alone top 10 in defenseman scoring tied with Adam Pelech you'd tell them they're crazy. That guy put in work in the offseason. Who needs Alex basso! Dermott continued to show poise along with Raddysh. This team was on tonight and huge to see oscar dansk get the shutout and play really well! A huge confidence boost for him! Will be watching tommorow on TV.

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
Game Report ERIE vs. MISSISSAUGA

Made the trip with 6 friends

Arena: Great building, turn out was a joke. Maybe 3,000 people tops. Best team in Junior hockey and people would rather watch the Leafs lose to Buffalo ??? How long before Mississauga is sold or moves ???

Otters D: Steady and pummeling (does that word exist).

Donnay: You mess with Donnay you get punched out and destroyed. THe kid he fought last night took a beating. Donnay has to easily be one of the best fighting D in the OHL.

Refs: Yeah there were seom bizzare calls last night, adding on the misconducts and insitgator minor.

Oscar Dansk: Stellar and S as in Stud. How on earth he did not get one of the 3 stars, who was smoking the Rob Ford Crack Pipe ? If anyone ever doubted Danks not being the # 1, man did he bounce back last night.

OHL MVP: Opps, sorry Some guy named FOX, who used to play for the Knights, yeah I know all he could do was get a hatrick last night.

Gaunce: The guy got his first goal and he had some other chances and still needs some more time to gel with the team, but that guy plays both ends of the ICE, solid two way player, you see him flying back to the Otters zone when Mississauga had the puck. the only place this guy will float is in his pool with an OHL Championship Ring on his finger.

Coach: OtterNews, Eddie, OtterGolfer, what I like about Knoublach and why the guy is as smart as it gets is. The game is yeah I know 5 to 0, Mississauga takes a penalty and he puts out Petit, Evans and Betz as the # 1 Power Play unit and then for the second Power Play unit he puts out Murphy, McDavid and Brown, which almost had Murphy potting a beauty goal on a McDavid set up only to be roobed by the goalie. The coach knows it is a team game, spreads it around, gives other players a chance, helps their development and rests some of the top guys.

Best Team: Is it too early to say that this might just be the greatest Junior team ever assembled ? Hey and this is comming from a guy, who only recently was a die hard Knights and Spits fan, but how can you not love ERIE, they just play as a team. If this keeps on going the OTTERS will be the hottest and toughest ticket to get in all of PA !!!

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
Agree With You Mississauga vs. ERIE

This one was just down the street from my place so of course I made the trip to see 97 who was unbelievable tonight. The guy could have had 6 goals. He was flying! Erie top 6 is the best in the OHL it was utter domination tonight. Really impressed by the two way play of Mike Curtis too a career year for him hopefully someone takes a chance and gives him a pro tryout. Fox with 30 goals now and brown with 54 points! Anyone who didn't get a chance to see the game missed a lot of talent on display an defies stars did not disappoint.

Again the Defense was outstanding. I think just about everyone would agree that if someone told you a month before training camp that spencer Abraham would even be on this team let alone top 10 in defenseman scoring tied with Adam Pelech you'd tell them they're crazy. That guy put in work in the offseason. Who needs Alex basso! Dermott continued to show poise along with Raddysh. This team was on tonight and huge to see oscar dansk get the shutout and play really well! A huge confidence boost for him! Will be watching tommorow on TV.

Brampton Fan I agree with you the one thing I might add, at least from what I saw in a 6 nothing game DAY on Mississauga, the only thing EXCEPTIONAL, about that kid, is that they even granted him EXCEPTIONAL, like really the OHL now is probably for nothing more than marketing and hype grant one execptional per year, talk about over used.

I am sorry, the kid was decent, but the reason you are exceptional is that in a 6 to 0 game, at least you stand out, or do something for your team. Good thing ERIE passed on this kid. Wish him all the luck in the world and one day he might be excpetional, but not now, no way he is in the same leauge as McDavid, Tarvares, Eckblad. Just IMO, anyone care to agree or disagree ?? Also how in the world did OSCAR, not get a start last night and they actually gave a 3RD STAR to a Mississauga player, for what, coming to the rink, not takng a penalty please !!!!

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
WHOA!!! Slow down knights spits. Erie has a long way to go to be considered among the greatest Jr. teams ever. There are a couple teams just a few points behind us. Love this team and your passion for it, but lets not get carried away.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I watched on the livestream, McDavid was all over Missy last night. You're right its amazing he only had two points, this game could have been a lot worse if not for the goaltending of Spencer Martin. Part of the reason the defense is so good right now is because we are playing the puck possession game extremely well. I love the Curtis pickup as well. All three of our overagers are having career years, especially Fox. I dont know why people think we need to replace Abraham. He's a very good 3rd pairing dman, and he runs the second powerplay unit well. A big confidence for Dansk definitely, hopefully going back to the white pads turns it around for him.

Made the trip with 6 friends

Arena: Great building, turn out was a joke. Maybe 3,000 people tops. Best team in Junior hockey and people would rather watch the Leafs lose to Buffalo ??? How long before Mississauga is sold or moves ???

Otters D: Steady and pummelling (does that word exist).

Donnay: You mess with Donnay you get punched out and destroyed. The kid he fought last night took a beating. Donnay has to easily be one of the best fighting D in the OHL.

Refs: Yeah there were some bizarre calls last night, adding on the misconducts and instigator minor.

Oscar Dansk: Stellar and S as in Stud. How on earth he did not get one of the 3 stars, who was smoking the Rob Ford Crack Pipe ? If anyone ever doubted Danks not being the # 1, man did he bounce back last night.

OHL MVP: Oops, sorry Some guy named FOX, who used to play for the Knights, yeah I know all he could do was get a hat trick last night.

Gaunce: The guy got his first goal and he had some other chances and still needs some more time to gel with the team, but that guy plays both ends of the ICE, solid two way player, you see him flying back to the Otters zone when Mississauga had the puck. the only place this guy will float is in his pool with an OHL Championship Ring on his finger.

Coach: OtterNews, Eddie, OtterGolfer, what I like about Knoublach and why the guy is as smart as it gets is. The game is yeah I know 5 to 0, Mississauga takes a penalty and he puts out Petit, Evans and Betz as the # 1 Power Play unit and then for the second Power Play unit he puts out Murphy, McDavid and Brown, which almost had Murphy potting a beauty goal on a McDavid set up only to be robbed by the goalie. The coach knows it is a team game, spreads it around, gives other players a chance, helps their development and rests some of the top guys.

Best Team: Is it too early to say that this might just be the greatest Junior team ever assembled ? Hey and this is coming from a guy, who only recently was a die hard Knights and Spits fan, but how can you not love ERIE, they just play as a team. If this keeps on going the OTTERS will be the hottest and toughest ticket to get in all of PA !!!

Giving a Missy player 3rd star was pretty silly, should have been Dansk or McDavid. But that's really not that big of a deal. Honestly, I'm not sure how good of a fighter Donnay really is. He doesn't fight much. He destroyed that poor kid last night just because he was a good seven inches taller. Gaunce definitely needs some more time to gel with his linemates, he hasn't done much offensively yet. But his defense is impressive, I think he should stay on that line with Fox and Brown. McDavid is so dynamic with Burakovsky. I did like what Knoblauch did with the powerplay. Gave the bottom six guys more ice-time and didn't run the score up on Missy. We have a great team here in Erie, but its way too early to call them the greatest team ever assembled. I don't think the 04-05 Knights will ever relinquish that title, that team was unreal.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Giving a Missy player 3rd star was pretty silly What about when your team plays at home and you win by one goal even in OT. and the play was even and sometimes the other team had a slight the edge in the play they give all three stars to the Otters.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Giving a Missy player 3rd star was pretty silly What about when your team plays at home and you win by one goal even in OT. and the play was even and sometimes the other team had a slight the edge in the play they give all three stars to the Otters.

Yes, the three stars are biased in Erie. But theres a big difference between an epic 3 goal comeback and a 6-0 blowout. Yes there were probably a few Guelph players that could have gotten a star, but there was no reason for a Mississauga player to get a star. They got thoroughly dominated.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes, the three stars are biased in Erie. But theres a big difference between an epic 3 goal comeback and a 6-0 blowout. Yes there were probably a few Guelph players that could have gotten a star, but there was no reason for a Mississauga player to get a star. They got thoroughly dominated.

What's the big deal about the 3 star selections? Nobody gets money out of it, seems like much ado about nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad