*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Can anyone enlighten me on how Erie got Kingstons 3rd rd in 2015. Kingston origianlly trade this pick to Plymouth for Mahalak. There is no record on the OHL site of a trade between Plymouth and Erie for this pick.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Can anyone enlighten me on how Erie got Kingstons 3rd rd in 2015. Kingston origianlly trade this pick to Plymouth for Mahalak. There is no record on the OHL site of a trade between Plymouth and Erie for this pick.

Plymouth sent it to Sudbury for Francesco Vilardi, Sudbury sent it to us in the Genovese trade.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Thoughts and prayers for Dane Fox and family in the passing of Dane's grandfather Henry Vanroboys.He was one of Dane's biggest supporters.Funeral Monday at Thamesville

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
Thankyou, hope you are sitting down or this, but the OHL never did list these trades on their site, imagine that. Have been keeping a list from the site for years and these are missing. THe OHL site is so far behind the Q and W it isn't funny. These two leagues have historical data in trades discipline etc on theirs, not the OHL.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
I like other really like this trade because it does not jeopardize the future a whole lot.

:nod: It still leaves some assets for one or two more upgrades but the guys on the ice have earned their spots. It seems almost unfair to trade or sit any of them after what they've endured the last couple years and worked their butts off to get where they are now.

I know you can't win championships by worrying about how the players feel but this is the first time in years that it looks and feels like they are playing as a team.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
:nod: It still leaves some assets for one or two more upgrades but the guys on the ice have earned their spots. It seems almost unfair to trade or sit any of them after what they've endured the last couple years and worked their butts off to get where they are now.

I know you can't win championships by worrying about how the players feel but this is the first time in years that it looks and feels like they are playing as a team.

It was a one for one swap in terms of the players changed, and if anyone deserved to lose ice time it was Harper. No one that had more icetime before is going to lose any, Gaunce just improves our top six. The players understand that this is now a go for it year.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
I agree Harper was the expendable one and there's room for one or two more to go. I guess my point was, it's hard to criticize the players that are left after the trade. For the most part it seems they work hard and play as a unit almost all night. That hasn't always seemed to be the case.

But even Harper had been playing hard the last few home games, he just didn't get the results.

Any guess at tomorrow's night attendance? Should be a great game but retail stores are open and the Steelers/Ravens are on TNF.

I'm hoping for 5,500 - 6,000.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I agree Harper was the expendable one and there's room for one or two more to go. I guess my point was, it's hard to criticize the players that are left after the trade. For the most part it seems they work hard and play as a unit almost all night. That hasn't always seemed to be the case.

But even Harper had been playing hard the last few home games, he just didn't get the results.

Any guess at tomorrow's night attendance? Should be a great game but retail stores are open and the Steelers/Ravens are on TNF.

I'm hoping for 5,500 - 6,000.

The only one I still have criticism for is Hodgson. He just needs to learn some discipline, if he can do that I think he's a good 3rd/4th liner. Wigle coming back soon is going to help a lot, you'll probably see Evans-Strome-Wigle, Hodgson-Pettit-Betz as the bottom two lines, as much as I like Maksimovich for his potential that's an upgrade.

I'd love to see a crowd that big but I'm expecting around 4500.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
The only one I still have criticism for is Hodgson. He just needs to learn some discipline, if he can do that I think he's a good 3rd/4th liner. Wigle coming back soon is going to help a lot, you'll probably see Evans-Strome-Wigle, Hodgson-Pettit-Betz as the bottom two lines, as much as I like Maksimovich for his potential that's an upgrade.

I'd love to see a crowd that big but I'm expecting around 4500.

Yeah. I was trying not to use names but now that you brought it up he Hodgson was one of the others I was thinking of.

I put Murphy in the same boat as Maksimovich, maybe to a lesser degree.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
Well played game for most of the night but it got pretty sloppy in the last 5 minutes. Gaunce was solid on both ends of the ice. Can't wait til he gels with his new linemates. Gonna be very entertaining.

Two more goals for Fox. Wow! Genovese didn't play his best defensively tonight but man he's tough. Took a slapshot in the midsection and didn't even flinch.

Otter win. Guelph and London losses = great night for Erie.

Biggest disappointment: Pretty quiet crowd (overall) for 4400 people.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
That 3rd period was brutal. I understand giving the 3rd & 4th lines time on ice when it SEEMS the game is out of reach but for me that was unacceptable. They had the chance to embarrass Guelph but essentially let them have life in the 3rd by overplaying those lines. Instead of a blowout it became a respectable game. Williams played very well and that was a big disservice to him in the 3rd

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Very lazy last five minutes, I'm sure they're gonna hear it about that. But those first 55 minutes were pure domination, very impressive. Gaunce looked pretty good, needs some more time to mesh with his linemates. I think I like the idea of Fox-Gaunce-Brown, Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky.

@eddie that was pretty good sized crowd for a Thanksgiving game, but it was a bit quiet. Another one of those cases where the game got put away kinda quickly and it took the crowd out again.

Awesome win though. And London lost sweet!

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
The game did get away from Erie late, but you had to give a lot of late ice to the bottom 6. 3 games in 3 nights so you save the legs when possible. Big night for the boys with London also losing! Williams looked very solid in the first period continued for most of the night.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
That 3rd period was brutal. I understand giving the 3rd & 4th lines time on ice when it SEEMS the game is out of reach but for me that was unacceptable. They had the chance to embarrass Guelph but essentially let them have life in the 3rd by overplaying those lines. Instead of a blowout it became a respectable game. Williams played very well and that was a big disservice to him in the 3rd

Keep in mind, they have a three in three with travel for tomorrow's game and the back home for Saturday. I don't see a problem with resting the top six and setting up the weekend. I'd rather have a four, five or six point weekend than run it up on Guelph.

It seems like London took Niagra for granted. Erie shouldn't be looking past Mississauga.

@ottersnews: good call on the attandance - you nailed it yesterday.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Keep in mind, they have a three in three with travel for tomorrow's game and the back home for Saturday. I don't see a problem with resting the top six and setting up the weekend. I'd rather have a four, five or six point weekend than run it up on Guelph.

It seems like London took Niagra for granted. Erie shouldn't be looking past Mississauga.

@ottersnews: good call on the attandance - you nailed it yesterday.

@whitecoat I undersand the desire to blow out Guelph and embarass them, but a win is a win. They know they slacked in the last few minutes, when we meet up again I'm sure we won't make that mistake.

Agreed, hope we don't just overlook Mississauga. If we play like we should this can easily be a 6 point weekend.

So who thinks Williams has taken over as starting goalie? He played extremely well and those last two goals were just laziness. Guelph's second goal on the powerplay was a gift from the refs.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
I'm very well aware of the 3 in 3. I wasn't looking for them to run up the score nor was I expecting the score to be as lopsided at it was until the last 6 min. My point being is that when you have a team you are tied with for the league lead and you have them down, you keep them down. Do not give them any chance to look up, especially given the circumstances of their last meeting.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
So who thinks Williams has taken over as starting goalie?

It's a nice problem for Coach K. I think Dansk has to play well in his start this weekend or we could be seeing Williams as the starter. Either way it looks like we're good in net for the next couple years.

itsahemi

Nov 21, 2013
@whitecoat I undersand the desire to blow out Guelph and embarass them

Actually the team I would love to blow out is Niagra. It seemed like they liked to run it up on Erie every chance they got - Keeping Strome, Ritchie and the rest on the ice all night (including pp) even up by 5 or 6.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
Actually the team I would love to blow out is Niagra. It seemed like they liked to run it up on Erie every chance they got - Keeping Strome, Ritchie and the rest on the ice all night (including pp) even up by 5 or 6.

That was then, this is now. I agree that they liked to run it up but we've done a role reversal this year and whatever happened in the past is insignificant this year. With that meltdown in the third they have given Guelph hope that they can win anytime we play them. Their spirits were broken in the last meeting and they could've seriously taken a hit this game. Anytime you have a front running team down, you keep them down and make them fear playing you in the future.

Styx and Stones

Mar 28, 2012
If you think you're going to go anywhere in the playoffs by only playing two lines, you are sadly mistaken. The third line, which gave up the goals, was centred by the first star of the game. The kids need to develop the confidence to play against the better teams now so when you need them in the playoffs they will be ready. There is no more perfect time then when you have a big lead.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
That was then, this is now. I agree that they liked to run it up but we've done a role reversal this year and whatever happened in the past is insignificant this year. With that meltdown in the third they have given Guelph hope that they can win anytime we play them. Their spirits were broken in the last meeting and they could've seriously taken a hit this game. Anytime you have a front running team down, you keep them down and make them fear playing you in the future.

I would agree totally but it is nice still to beat a powerhouse in Guelph.

I didn't get to see the game but does anyone know what the lines were up front?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If you think you're going to go anywhere in the playoffs by only playing two lines, you are sadly mistaken. The third line, which gave up the goals, was centred by the first star of the game. The kids need to develop the confidence to play against the better teams now so when you need them in the playoffs they will be ready. There is no more perfect time then when you have a big lead.

no ones saying that. we rotate our four lines pretty evenly. Everyone knows you need to do that in the playoffs to be effective. The third/fourth lines got almost all of the shifts in the last five minutes and they just slacked off and got lazy, and Guelph made it look close, when really this game was a beatdown.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The lines tonight were
Fox-Gaunce-Brown
Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky
Betz-Strome-Evans
Maksimovch-Pettit-Hodgson

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
The lines tonight were
Fox-Gaunce-Brown
Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky
Betz-Strome-Evans
Maksimovch-Pettit-Hodgson

I would've loaded up the 1st line.

Gaunce-McDavid-Brown

Gaunce can do it all except be strong in the faceoff circle. He's a great playmaker, can seriously score goal even in a heavy trapping team and is hard to get off the puck. He's also strong defensively.

2nd would be:

Curtis-Fox-Burakovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: