*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Pricey deal, think it's worth it though. The west just got deeper, I like the D you guys have but I wonder if management would consider targeting Carrick?

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
Good trade for Erie, you guys won't be disappointed, but don't you think this trade may have been better suited for after the WJC considering you will likely loose Gaunce from you're line up and could have had Harper in there until after? Unless of course Belleville had multiple deals lined up.

Either way, good trade for you guys, other western teams will shortly be kicking themselves for not pulling the trigger.

I think making the move now is better. It is obviously an upgrade for the 10(give or take) games prior to WJC. So if he helps us more in those games then Harper would have, then I think you can sacrifice the games he'll be away. Plus you needed to make the move before someone else did.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
What's Harper like guys?

unrealized potential. Lot of people questioned Bassin when we took him 12th in the 2011 draft, then he had a great rookie seaosn. Really stood out on a very bad team, scored 24 goals. We looked to him to be a leader last season and he just looked disinterested. We were hoping for more from him this season, especially with the better team, but he just hasn't looked like that same player from the rookie season. If he finds his game, no doubt hes a top 6 winger. Pretty good speed, very strong kid, hard to knock down. I hope he figures it out in Belleville and has a good career.

Also, on the Belleville write up it says "Gaunce will join Erie friday in Mississagua", was that a mistake by them, not realizing we have a game thursday night, or is there going to be some sort of delay and Gaunce won't make it for the Guelph game? I sure hope not, we'll need him in the lineup for that game.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
i am gonna miss Harper but think this deal needed done. By adding Brendan to our team we subtract him from the other contenders as well.

Now on to the deal for another top notch D man..... I see hodgson ,felker and three picks being moved just before the deadline .

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
i am gonna miss Harper but think this deal needed done. By adding Brendan to our team we subtract him from the other contenders as well.

Now on to the deal for another top notch D man..... I see hodgson ,felker and three picks being moved just before the deadline .

2014 2nd (Erie) 2015 2nd (Erie) Hodgson+Felker for Ebert from Windsor? Carrick from Mississauga? Those are the guys in my sights if we're making a move from a defenseman, I'm still not sure that needs to be done.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Trade reaction: I have to think this is a direct reaction from Sherry Bassin to Connor Brown signing with the Leafs. Now that Brown is unlikely to return next year, it's apparent Bassin is making a run at it all. McDavid will probably be the only top scorer returning next season, the team can expect to lose Brown, Fox (overage), Curtis (overage), Burakovsky (drafted by Caps from Europe..can play in AHL as 19 year old), Gaunce (signed contract w/ VAN) with as well as Pelech (NYI draft pick), Abraham (overage), and possibly Donnay (contract w/ NYR) on D. Oscar Dansk may also be gone, but it looks like Devin Williams might be the number one anyways. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Otters ship McDavid off next season like Oshawa did with Tavares.

That being said, this team has all the pieces to compete with the best of the best in OHL. The only glaring issue I can see is a significant lack of playoff experience on the back end. Curtis and Gaunce both had lengthy runs last year with Belleville. Can't wait to see the EIA during March and April...should bring back some good memories. I was only 7 years old and in first grade the night the Otters won in OT to win the final series against Barrie 4-1, but I'll never forget how truly electric the Tullio was that night.

otters7.jpg

otters1.jpg

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good post Dhockey. I think Bassin is going for it this season, but I disagree about Brown. I still think he's going to be back next season. Also Donnay will definitely be back as an overager. Gaunce+Burakovsky+Dansk+Pelech will leave early, plus the overagers obviously. I don't see Bassin trading McDavid. I think he's going to attepmt to reload next season. We have a lot of kids from the 2013 draft who can make an impact (only Strome made the team) as well as possibly Robertson and Lattavo from the 2012. And if we somehow get Larkin here we are very dangerous again. Williams could very well be the best goalie in the league next season behind Ned from Plymouth, and despite losing Pelech we'll be strong defensively. But thats thinking ahead, I'm just enjoying the hell out of this season!

Otters Fan

Mar 25, 2012
I have been talking team chemistry for the last week, but I must say I do love this trade.
I have zero problem with trading Harper and the picks. Harper is great when he seemed interested unfortunately he didn't always seem very interested. I wish him all the best in his new start with the Bulls.
We had a ton of extra picks and still do even after this trade. Our second line just as ottersnews said becomes 1b.
With Andrea and Brendan with Curtis this line will be a big problem for other teams to match up with. The best part is Brendan is not only a threat scoring hes a hell of a defensive forward as well. Teamed with Curtis that makes them a great line to play against the other teams top line leaving McDavid-Fox-Brown a little easier time maybe.
Who knows this team may not be done making deals yet. All I know is im pumped up for tomorrow night to see the match ups vs Guelph

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Congrats Erie this was a big win for you, and I am not meaning that in the way that Erie got the better end of the deal. You have acquired the best 2 way forward in the league a player that can play in ALL situations he's good on the PP, PK 5-4 and 5-3 and he can play big minutes. Plus you still have a few extra second round picks to trade without using your own and if Bassin really wants to go all in you have probably one of the most desired 16 year olds in the league right now to trade as well. With what Erie has, and has left with assest they have the best potential to improve the team for this year, London simply does not have enough picks to go after the real high end talent.

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
Also, on the Belleville write up it says "Gaunce will join Erie friday in Mississagua", was that a mistake by them, not realizing we have a game thursday night, or is there going to be some sort of delay and Gaunce won't make it for the Guelph game? I sure hope not, we'll need him in the lineup for that game.

Gaunce will be in for tomorrow's game.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Love this trade the more and more I think about it. I think sherry did a good job of spreading out the draft picks and we already were loaded with them so there still is room to make more trades. Also if there was one guy on this team who didn't really always play with high energy it was Harper. Sucks to see him go because of the potential but don't think it has any effect on team chemistry.
I like making the trade now because it's still somewhat early in the year and now we have a chance to sit back and see where the team stands with gaunce and what other pieces we still need before the deadline. We shall see what happens but clearly bassin is all in

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
I like other really like this trade because it does not jeopardize the future a whole lot. While I liked Harper and he was inconsistent and Gaunce is a major upgrade. Also as mentioned the pick are spread out and I think Erie still has 5 2nd rounder in the next three years. This was a great trade for Erie and I do not think they are done yet. They are going to add another defenseman with OHL playoff experience. Erie got better overnight but they still need one player to some of the pressure off Pelech every night.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
Love this trade the more and more I think about it. I think sherry did a good job of spreading out the draft picks and we already were loaded with them so there still is room to make more trades. Also if there was one guy on this team who didn't really always play with high energy it was Harper. Sucks to see him go because of the potential but don't think it has any effect on team chemistry.
I like making the trade now because it's still somewhat early in the year and now we have a chance to sit back and see where the team stands with gaunce and what other pieces we still need before the deadline. We shall see what happens but clearly bassin is all in

In the OHL, referring to Harper after 2.5 years in the league, I don't think "potential" is something that should be a key factor as far as Erie is concerned.

He is who he is (an underachieving big man) and it would appear Bassin stole Gaunce in this one....the west is loading up!

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
In the OHL, referring to Harper after 2.5 years in the league, I don't think "potential" is something that should be a key factor as far as Erie is concerned.

He is who he is (an underachieving big man) and it would appear Bassin stole Gaunce in this one....the west is loading up!

I could not agree more, people are saying Erie paid a huge price but honestly I don't see it that way. Picks are spread out and we have seen players of Gaunce's caliber go for much more in the past.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Yeah, I know, I give credit to Erie on this one, great trade!! :) But as funny as reality is, only one of 3 teams (London, Erie, Guelph) can come out and win the West, and ultimately two teams (London, Erie/Guelph) can experience the Memorial Cup. So one of Guelph or Erie are going to be disappointed this year, despite that they "loaded up" for an OHL Championship. Should be a great playoffs!! Cheers!! :)

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Otters radio voice Aaron Cooney tweeted line combos from practice. McDavid, Burakowski and Curtis. Fox, Brown and Murphy. The assumption being Murphy filling in for Gaunce in practice. Love these combos.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Prior to the Brown signing, the Leafs already put it out there that Brown can be a potential overage player. It will really depend on how well he is at camp.

I really like the Gaunce trade, and agree with the sentiments that Erie needs to upgrade their defense if they are really going for it. I would keep McDavid with Brown and Fox and slot Gaunce with Curtis and Burakovsky

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Prior to the Brown signing, the Leafs already put it out there that Brown can be a potential overage player. It will really depend on how well he is at camp.

I really like the Gaunce trade, and agree with the sentiments that Erie needs to upgrade their defense if they are really going for it. I would keep McDavid with Brown and Fox and slot Gaunce with Curtis and Burakovsky

So would I. That way only 1 line is changed not 2. Mcdavid-Brown-Fox have chemistry. Sure Mcdavid is great but those guys are self made players on their own. They just mesh well. BUT in the last few weeks I think Mcdavid and Brown both need the puck during their shifts. Brown is great in possession and Mcdavid can sometimes stand around. Mcdavid might do better with Burakovsky who can find the soft spots and let Mcdavid possess the puck to put them both in a scoring position, Curtis can do the heavy lifting for that line, I kind of like that. When I saw those line combo's I thought that this was more about giving Mcdavid new linemates, I dont know if anyone else see's it, but I think Mcdavid has a nagging injury. He was not himself in the Subway Series or even in the last few weeks. He is not as sharp as he usually is.

Otterly Disappoint

Jan 9, 2013
McDavid and Burakovsky have been playing together late in games lately. They've also been paired together in overtime games, probably because of their speed. Is it possible coach was doing that knowing a deal was in the works?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Its going to be Fox-Gaunce-Brown, Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky tomorrow night. We'll see how it works out.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
Its going to be Fox-Gaunce-Brown, Curtis-McDavid-Burakovsky tomorrow night. We'll see how it works out.

it was reported that the wings will be brown and fox curtis and burakovsky with Gaunce and Mc David switching between to see which is more effective

also no word on the starting goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad