Official Coyotes 2023-24 Season Discussion (Poll Included)

How many points will the Coyotes get this season???

• 100+

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 90-99

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 80-89

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 70-79

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Less than 70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I recall Chayka talking about building up the talent level first and seeing the toughness, grit and leadership as the next ingredient.

I like Bill's approach better. Everyone needs to be skilled and tough and most of them need to be giants.
Except I’m not seeing it on the roster. I’m seeing the opposite. It’s like they all made the same New Year’s resolution; lay down and die quietly.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Except I’m not seeing it on the roster. I’m seeing the opposite. It’s like they all made the same New Year’s resolution; lay down and die quietly.
The guys that are skilled, tough and giants usually have to be drafted. They're gonna take a bit longer.

Regarding the laying down and dieing - that's mostly a coaching thing.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So something like this next year?

Keller - Cooley - Guenther
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Crouse
Carcone - Hayton - Schmaltz
Kerfoot - McBain - Doan

Still think Schmaltz could go. Doan we will see. The other 10 forwards are likely back.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think that is pretty much our lineup for next season. Bill might target another vet forward on a short deal.

I hope that Lipkin kicks down the door in training camp to earn a spot. I'm sure that Bill would like for him to go to Tucson but it seems college players don't like leaving college for the AHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Kerfoot - McBain - Doan

Still think Schmaltz could go. Doan we will see. The other 10 forwards are likely back.
Keep Bjugstad with Keller and Schmaltz.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Kerfoot - McBain - Doan

Keep Bjugstad with Keller and Schmaltz.

This

Keller - Bjugstad - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Hayton - Doan
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther
Kerfoot - McBain - Carcone

Or you move Schmaltz and put Maccelli up there with Keller on the top line and add a more well rounded vet.

rt

May 13, 2004
Can we do Schmaltz for a D and then picks for Sam Bennett?
This

Keller - Bjugstad - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Hayton - Doan
Crouse - Cooley - Guenther
Kerfoot - McBain - Carcone

Or you move Schmaltz and put Maccelli up there with Keller on the top line and add a more well rounded vet.

I want to replace Carcone with some actual grit and muscle. Can we replace him via UFA with Yakov Trenin or Sam Lafferty or Dakota Joshua or Cole Smith?

And can we replace Schmaltz via trade, too? Like Mosby said, Schmaltz for an D and then picks for Bennett? Or if Bennett is too expensive, how about Ross Colton or Tanner Jeannot?

And we need to add to the D we get for Schmaltz (say Martin Fehervary, Ryan Lindgren, Jake Middleton, Jeremy Lauzon or Will Borgen) with a UFA or two. Say Simon Benoit and/or Nikita Zadorov.

We need to add some freaking size and snarl to this team. Some dudes who actually play a hard game.

Example: Schmaltz for Borgen, picks for Jeannot, sign Zadorov and Trenin.

Keller-Cooley-Guenther
Jeannot-Bjugstad-Doan
Maccelli-Hayton-Crouse
Kerfoot-McBain-Y.Trenin

Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Borgen
Zadorov-Kesselring

Ingram
Veggie

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
If Pittsburgh finally sees the writing on the wall this off season, maybe send a 2nd and Soderstrom for a Pettersson rental. Would be the team's best defensive defenseman next season, provide veteran presence, and BA could flip him at the deadline for a similar return.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
One more goal from Schmaltz and one more goal from Carcone and it will be the first time the Coyotes have ever had five players with 20 or more goals in the same season.
So, I fell asleep in Florida before the 3rd period last night, didn't look closely at the box score, read this and thought "Bjugstad got 2?"...per nhl.com Schmaltz has 20, it's Bjugstad that needs one more.

Reactions: Mosby and lanky

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
We need to add some freaking size and snarl to this team. Some dudes who actually play a hard game.

Example: Schmaltz for Borgen, picks for Jeannot, sign Zadorov and Trenin.

Keller-Cooley-Guenther
Jeannot-Bjugstad-Doan
Maccelli-Hayton-Crouse
Kerfoot-McBain-Y.Trenin

Moser-Durzi
Valimaki-Borgen
Zadorov-Kesselring

Ingram
Veggie
Is Josh Manson too old now, know you were always a fan of his game. 2 years left on his contract and the trade board makes it sound like he may be available for a second round pick as the Avs maybe against the cap. That would put him on the roster until the kids are ready.
And, what contract is acceptable for Zadarov? 4 years @ 5 per, so he is here to mentor the young Russians when they come over, then gone when they leave their ELC.s

rt

May 13, 2004
Is Josh Manson too old now, know you were always a fan of his game. 2 years left on his contract and the trade board makes it sound like he may be available for a second round pick as the Avs maybe against the cap. That would put him on the roster until the kids are ready.
And, what contract is acceptable for Zadarov? 4 years @ 5 per, so he is here to mentor the young Russians when they come over, then gone when they leave their ELC.s
Yeah, not sure about moving assets for Manson at this point. Seems like a move for a team further ahead in the rebuild. Or for Edmonton or Toronto who need grit for a cup run.

That seems ideal for Zadorov. Overpay on aav a little to keep the length down somewhat. We know the Russians like palm trees and we have plenty. Maybe if we can get Trenin on the hook, that helps. We’ve got Russians coming but it would be nice to start paving the way. If we can do that with gritty Russians who play the game hard and set the tempo, then so much the better.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4