Official Coyotes 2023-24 Season Discussion (Poll Included)

How many points will the Coyotes get this season???

• 100+

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 90-99

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 80-89

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • 70-79

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Less than 70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm not going to explain it to you because it's pointless, your vision is too shortsighted. Yeah I'm sure Chicago is feeling a ton of regret over their "wimp ass tank" last year. :biglaugh:

How's Buffalo feeling about "winning" in 2015?

Look, we all get your line of reasoning - your fundamental error is that you seem to think ultimate success - whatever that means - is an inevitability somehow, that can only be accomplished by intentionally losing. There are just so, so, so, so many instances where it doesn't work out like you seem to think it always does.

So, please *don't* try to explain it again, you only dig your hole deeper.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
How's Buffalo feeling about "winning" in 2015?

Look, we all get your line of reasoning - your fundamental error is that you seem to think ultimate success - whatever that means - is an inevitability somehow, that can only be accomplished by intentionally losing. There are just so, so, so, so many instances where it doesn't work out like you seem to think it always does.

So, please *don't* try to explain it again, you only dig your hole deeper.
I'm sure you gravely miss mediocrity but I don't, I'm tired of it and the short sighted approach that continually fosters it. There is no existing "inevitability" as you foolishly seem to believe, that is your black and white thinking at work, not mine. There is only probability and I think BA's approach has a higher probability of success and I'm thrilled he has the balls to actually do it. Mourn the loss of the old path if you wish but I'm thrilled they're finally taking a different path and as long as they stick with it and don't wimp out, I think it's going to work!

Reactions: Prarievarg

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
as long as they stick with it and don't wimp out, I think it's going to work!
If your bad long enough eventually you will be good in theory :) How many years do you think the Arizona market will support a below 500 team Sinurgy?

And this is a question about going forward. Sadly we know the past :)

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Mike Smith.
Didn't we get him UFA? And if you are suggesting he's your favorite because we traded him then I had have to agree to an extent.

Weird enough Smith was one of my favorite players of all time for the franchise (that one season was complete magic and he flashed that in a handful of other games) and one of my least favorites of all times. I loved when we traded him because the of the statement it made. But man if he was more consistent and less of a head case we could have had some interesting seasons.

He's a weird all timer Yote for better or worse

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Question for everyone. What is your favorite trade in the history of the Coyotes. Pretty sure most of you will say Langkow lol. Mine was Mike Gartner. My first Coyotes Jersey :)
I didn't really like any sports from 2000 - 2008 so with that nugget

Vermette. I remember at the time thinking we got a bit of a steal, and that we were making"big" moves for once. Ended up becoming a huge piece though, both for the conference finals run,. becoming a fan favorite and also being a player to vouch for AZ.

Honestly outside of Doan have we had a better trade?

Reactions: Mangosteen

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If your bad long enough eventually you will be good in theory :) How many years do you think the Arizona market will support a below 500 team Sinurgy?

I think that is irrelevant, AM is either the real deal or the team is gone.

Reactions: Mangosteen

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Didn't we get him UFA? And if you are suggesting he's your favorite because we traded him

Yes and yes. I was merely throwing out a controversial name. Smitty was crucial to our playoff run; so I'm more of a fan than a hater.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

Realistically, we're at the point where Meruelo can cover the losses until the new arena is built and the fanbase can wallow as the team bides its time building up. With a shiny new arena and up and coming stars it'll draw new lifelong fans and next time they need to bottom out, there will be a larger base of die-hards to sustain through another weak period.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Off topic but….

Do you think we gave up on Dylan Strome too early?

He would be second behind Keller in scoring.., .
was he qualified by his previous team or did they just walk away? Shouldn’t the question then be “why didn’t we sign him as a free agent” rather than talk about a trade that we clearly won years ago.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'm sure you gravely miss mediocrity but I don't, I'm tired of it and the short sighted approach that continually fosters it. There is no existing "inevitability" as you foolishly seem to believe, that is your black and white thinking at work, not mine. There is only probability and I think BA's approach has a higher probability of success and I'm thrilled he has the balls to actually do it. Mourn the loss of the old path if you wish but I'm thrilled they're finally taking a different path and as long as they stick with it and don't wimp out, I think it's going to work!
By your logic, you should be upset with BA because he didn’t tank hard enough.
I don’t want mediocrity, I want honor…. from the entire league, but hey, I get it, there is little honor to be found.
At least you stopped “explaining”, dear Lord that was so unnecessary.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
was he qualified by his previous team or did they just walk away? Shouldn’t the question then be “why didn’t we sign him as a free agent” rather than talk about a trade that we clearly won years ago.
I don't think it is as cut and dried as you say. Schmaltz is a .70 PPG player and Strome is a .69 PPG player. Strome is a C, has a FO% of 49.4 and Schmaltz a winger, and when he is forced to play C he has a dismal FO% of .40. I don't think there is a clear winner in this trade as you suggest. I would call it a good hockey trade for both teams.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it is as cut and dried as you say. Schmaltz is a .70 PPG player and Strome is a .69 PPG player. Strome is a C, has a FO% of 49.4 and Schmaltz a winger, and when he is forced to play C he has a dismal FO% of .40. I don't think there is a clear winner in this trade as you suggest. I would call it a good hockey trade for both teams.
When a team doesn’t qualify a guy that usually means they gave up on him. U r factoring in his production in Washington in analysis on a trade we made with Chicago. Strome played so well they didn’t qualify him.

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
When you factor in $$. It would've been better to have kept Strome.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
When you factor in $$. It would've been better to have kept Strome.
Because the team we traded him to didn’t think he was worth the money and another team signed him because he came cheap? Chicago walked away from the player. Chicago. The worst team in the league who did not have cap issues.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think the team even had a proper development staff in place back then. The entire organization seemed like it was basically ran by a skeleton crew. It wasn't until AM took over, was willing to spend money on a normal NHL staff, and BA made the hires that we got on par with the rest of the league. Anyways, I don't see him as being rushed, just not handled properly. Didn't have the right tools in place.

Edit:
Strome also just seemed like a lazy, opportunistic floater back then, IMO. Haven't watched much of him since the trade though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad