Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think letting the season play out before trying to determine next years moves is smart. So many moving parts, hard to predict the future. Keep in mind that the hardest players to move are over paid vets, nobody else wants their contracts either. We don't know if Hayton or Soderstom will be ready to play big roles next year or not. It takes time, look at where DVO/Chych are now, solid NHL players but it took 3 years.

The focus should be on what else do we need to do this year to set ourselves up for a playoff run? I see our weakest link as a third pairing RHD, once we are healthy. Maybe there is a deal to trade Raanta to a playoff team with an injured or under performing starting goal tender for an RHD. Salaries would have to work. I would maybe hesitate trading Fischer/Hino unless the RHD had longer term potential.

I think we need at least one guy on D that can bring a physical element and one more forward to help Crouse out. When the physicality gets turned up in the playoffs, our small guys might not make it through a series if we don't get some push back.

Reactions: Kaizen and BUX7PHX

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I think you'll see Raanta traded at some point, just a matter of time. Among goalie expansion protection slots, he's way better than just about everything else available. Only a couple other teams are even remotely close to having to make a decision at all for that position - potentially Pittsburgh with Jarry and Murray, and maybe Colorado with Grubauer and Francouz. Every one else has an easy, non-hurting decision, or they are a mess at goalie and it doesn't matter what they do. Even if you prefer some of these others to Raanta, odds are that he's in the top 3 of available goalies as it stands so we're losing him.

How he's lost is under Coyote control, however. Trade him to a team with a mess in net and recoup something. He may even be able to be packaged with something to drop more salary. You can also do it after this season if you need the cap-space soon. Otherwise before the expansion draft. Chayka noted he intended to be active leading up to Las Vegas' draft, and he wasn't. I suspect it's because numerous teams acted irrationally and only dealt with Las Vegas rather than performing a more ideal game of musical chairs to move players around to teams that had open slots.

One final option is that Raanta's trade value is low because he's a goalie. If the Coyotes aren't going to get a lot off that, they can just accept losing him in the expansion draft as his value lost is less than what they'd lose from losing an unprotected skater. But that doesn't solve freeing space up this upcoming offseason.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's not signed through the expansion draft. He'll also be 32 and lucky if he hasn't split in half from all his injuries. Perfectly happy to sign him at his current rate for a few more years to have an elite backup and just lose him if it comes to that. He's an excellent teammate.

Seattle will have tons of options, including taking overpaid goalies on for payment.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sharks are desperate. Division rival until Seattle comes in and we move to central. Chayka and Wilson have a pretty good relationship given how John speaks of Doug. Something to watch.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Darcy Kuemper is week to week with a lower body injury.

Adin Hill has been recalled.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It is BS though that our bye week comes right after the ASG. It's almost 2 weeks off. Thankfully this is the last season with bye weeks.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
120 defensemen have a better +- than Chychrun. Not all have played as many games. Not a perfect stat but indicative of a need to improve in his own end. 14th best on the Coyotes, not Kessel bad -18 (worst right wing in the National)
Carlson +18
Hamilton +23
Weber +13
Josi +15
Chychrun 0

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
120 defensemen have a better +- than Chychrun. Not all have played as many games. Not a perfect stat but indicative of a need to improve in is own end. 14th best on the Coyotes, not Kessel bad -18 (worst right wing in the National)
Carlson +18
Hamilton +23
Weber +13
Josi +15
Chychrun 0

Chychrun is the best overall defender the Coyotes have. When Hjalmarsson comes back, he'll be the 2nd best pure defender. Plus minus means next to nothing when you play in all situations and you are sheltering a weaker partner (Goligoski). Ness is +2 and I don't think anyone wants him out there to protect a 1 goal lead with 30 seconds to go.

+/- is only really useful when there's a massive delta between similar players. Kessels -18 when the next worst on the team is -5 is a good example.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Could be a great thing. Allow team to heal, allow Hall to enjoy AZ
I thought about that earlier. Maybe part of the reasoning to trade for Hall before the christmas break rather than at the TDL is to give Taylor some time to settle down and develop a fondness for the city and climate.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Chychrun is the best overall defender the Coyotes have. When Hjalmarsson comes back, he'll be the 2nd best pure defender. Plus minus means next to nothing when you play in all situations and you are sheltering a weaker partner (Goligoski). Ness is +2 and I don't think anyone wants him out there to protect a 1 goal lead with 30 seconds to go.

+/- is only really useful when there's a massive delta between similar players. Kessels -18 when the next worst on the team is -5 is a good example.
Hammer/Demers, even OEL are all better than Chych in their own end.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
120 defensemen have a better +- than Chychrun. Not all have played as many games. Not a perfect stat but indicative of a need to improve in his own end. 14th best on the Coyotes, not Kessel bad -18 (worst right wing in the National)
Carlson +18
Hamilton +23
Weber +13
Josi +15
Chychrun 0
Pretty sure last I checked we were 17th or 19th in 5v5 GF but 7th in PP GF.

And I believe the entire team is only a +6 or 7 5v5.

The top 10 PP is hiding an overall lack of production, I think. Which to mean indicates a guy getting a ton of 5v5 time like Chychrun probably isn’t going to have stellar +\-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad