Official Coyotes 2019-2020 Roster Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I don't think Hall has made up his mind yet. You can't be more of an insider than Hall is.

Yeah, you could tell by the pre-game interview the guy's had a weird week. Spends the weekend in the press box(es) while the GM figures out who's gonna give him the best return, so he (although probably could narrow it down) doesn't even know in what state or province he's gonna be living for the next 4-6 months.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This thing with Hjalmarsson going from IR to LTIR, that was expected now, right?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Pretty sure LTIR is just a salary cap thing, doesn't really mean anything in regards to his return time. Craig tweeted earlier that both him and Demers are close.

Yeah. They needed to do it to get Russo back to Tucson and bring Gross up. That's how tight we are to the cap ceiling. Still think we're going to make a move at some point to give us some breathing room.

Reactions: Name Nameless

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
All it takes is for the Coyotes to crash, burn and miss the playoffs and Hall is as good as gone.
If that happens, based on Hall's track record, Coyotes end up with Lafreniere or Byfield, not a bad consolation prize :naughty:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I should hope Matthews...and any UFA really...would do the same. Hall is not wrong in that they fought for and earned the right to do that in the CBA.
He's definitely earned the right to explore FA if he wants to and no one should begrudge him or anyone else who does but I do take issue with the implication that it's what he SHOULD do. Players like Matthews and Hall are already at the point where money will never be an issue for them so simply choosing the highest bidder is IMO foolish. Really money should be the least of their concerns because they're going to get paid no matter where they go. Team direction, their roll on the team and a city where they're comfortable putting down roots, etc. seem to be the most important considerations.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not saying that I remember this for certain, but I swear that some time in 2012, Hall mentioned Phoenix as a nice city. I have no way of backing this up, but I think that Hall is fond of the city, in general.

Now if we can get deep into the playoffs, maybe that seals the deal.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Not saying that I remember this for certain, but I swear that some time in 2012, Hall mentioned Phoenix as a nice city. I have no way of backing this up, but I think that Hall is fond of the city, in general.

Now if we can get deep into the playoffs, maybe that seals the deal.
Hall also said he loved the town he played in the OHL...

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think there's a really good chance Hall resigns here.

I think the most important thing for him is being on a good team, that's why NJ didn't work. He's tired of losing. We're winning now, and young. He could sign an 8 year deal here and expect to make/contend for the playoffs for at least the next 4ish years.

Secondly, like BUX referred to, Phoenix is a really nice city that he (probably) likes. Chaykas pitch already started by not negotiating yet and letting him fall in love with the city.

How many other winning teams have the cap flexibility to make an offer, have a bright future, and are located in a nice city?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think there's a really good chance Hall resigns here.

I think the most important thing for him is being on a good team, that's why NJ didn't work. He's tired of losing. We're winning now, and young. He could sign an 8 year deal here and expect to make/contend for the playoffs for at least the next 4ish years.

Secondly, like BUX referred to, Phoenix is a really nice city that he (probably) likes. Chaykas pitch already started by not negotiating yet and letting him fall in love with the city.

How many other winning teams have the cap flexibility to make an offer, have a bright future, and are located in a nice city?
Arizona doesn't exactly have the Cap flexibility to sign him either. Florida could easily do it as a team on the rise.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Arizona doesn't exactly have the Cap flexibility to sign him either. Florida could easily do it as a team on the rise.
Can move Stepan, Raanta, Grabner, or Goligoski to make room. Soderberg is also going to be a FA, that's 4.75M off the books.

We have lots of flexibility with guys being paid more than their worth to the team.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We don't even have a lot of space next season without moving Stepan.

Richardson, Soderberg, and Ribeiro come off the books but we also get hit with Keller's raise. Unless Demers or Goligoski are the ones set to leave (doubtful) I think Stepan makes the most sense. Hinostroza could also be on the block come the draft due to being an RFA that needs a raise.

Stepan and Hinostroza for Hall seems like a fair roll, especially if we can find someone able to fill in as a high end 3c/rw at a very low cost.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Hall wants to be here and Chayka wants him, Chayka will figure it out.
Of course he can. But you can't claim that the team that has about $2 million in Cap space with only 16 players has Cap flexibility to sign him. If the scenario is to get rid of 5 or 6 guys then really every team in League has the same ability.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Can move Stepan, Raanta, Grabner, or Goligoski to make room. Soderberg is also going to be a FA, that's 4.75M off the books.

We have lots of flexibility with guys being paid more than their worth to the team.
2 of those are 2 if your top 3 centers. 2 if those might not be able to just go away as they arent worth their salary. I'm not saying it can't be done as obviously it can but to just brush it aside as no big deal is just wrong?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Of course he can. But you can't claim that the team that has about $2 million in Cap space with only 16 players has Cap flexibility to sign him. If the scenario is to get rid of 5 or 6 guys then really every team in League has the same ability.
You get rid of one or two and you have the space for Hall. I don't think there's many other teams that can easily shed as much as we can without really effecting the quality of their roster. The contracts we would look to move have 1 year left making them easy to trade.

Yes if you move Stepan then you keep Soderberg or bring someone else in. I just listed a bunch that are expendable. We wouldn't move all of them, just enough to fit Hall in. And no, I don't really think it is a big deal to do it. Hall at 9 or 10M brings alot more value than say Stepan and Grabner at 8.8M.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You get rid of one or two and you have the space for Hall. I don't think there's many other teams that can easily shed as much as we can without really effecting the quality of their roster. The contracts we would look to move have 1 year left making them easy to trade.
I doubt there is a team in the League that can't trade away a player and sign Hall and not be better? We probably need to shed a couple of those just to ice a team next season, before adding Hall. We need 7 players and have 2 million roughly in Cap. And that has us with Stepan, Dvorak, and Hayton as our centers. Im not that comfortable with Hayton and Dvorak as our only centers. Yes it can be done but it won't be easy.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Yes if you move Stepan then you keep Soderberg or bring someone else in. I just listed a bunch that are expendable. We wouldn't move all of them, just enough to fit Hall in. And no, I don't really think it is a big deal to do it. Hall at 9 or 10M brings alot more value than say Stepan and Grabner at 8.8M.
So let's follow that along, Stepan and Grabner gone. We now have roughly $11 million in Cap space and need to sign 9 players. Let's say Hall takes $9. How are you now signing Soda and filling out roster? It's not simply removing enough salary to pay Hall, we already need to remove salary for Keller extension. It can be done but we are not sitting in a great flexible Cap space.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It would be extremely easy to fit Halls cap hit and you know it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2 of those are 2 if your top 3 centers. 2 if those might not be able to just go away as they arent worth their salary. I'm not saying it can't be done as obviously it can but to just brush it aside as no big deal is just wrong?
Replace Soderberg with Hayton and Richardson with a cheaper 4C. That’s more than 4m saved right there. Soderstrom for Oesterle and move Raanta to recoup a pick. Done.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It would be extremely easy to fit Halls cap hit and you know it.
Using present Cap for next season and assuming Coyote's full out rister with all $1 million players. We will be roughly $5 million over the Cap. Add Hall at $8 to be generous. That puts us $12 million over the Cap. I don't see how it's automatic that we get to Cap limit and be a better team? It's quite possible this is the best Coyote team for a few years again unless the kids grow quuckly. If I was Chayka and Hall signed I would have Kessel on the block instantly. No need for that money on the wings. Stepan would be my other shed.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Replace Soderberg with Hayton and Richardson with a cheaper 4C. That’s more than 4m saved right there. Soderstrom for Oesterle and move Raanta to recoup a pick. Done.
Soda salary gone is already accounted for on Cap, so is Richardson.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Using present Cap for next season and assuming Coyote's full out rister with all $1 million players. We will be roughly $5 million over the Cap. Add Hall at $8 to be generous. That puts us $12 million over the Cap. I don't see how it's automatic that we get to Cap limit and be a better team? It's quite possible this is the best Coyote team for a few years again unless the kids grow quuckly. If I was Chayka and Hall signed I would have Kessel on the block instantly. No need for that money on the wings. Stepan would be my other shed.
Cap is going up to a minimum of $84 M based on what was discussed during last 31 Thoughts podcast. Escrow was a paltry 1.1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad