Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't like Goligoski's drive or his body language. I think he's potentially a problem in the room if things don't immediately go well. Stepan is the same way. Can't have too many of those types floating around. Both are servicable players but shouldn't be a part of your core leadership group. Hopefully some young guys step up and make it a non issue.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't like Goligoski's drive or his body language. I think he's potentially a problem in the room if things don't immediately go well. Stepan is the same way. Can't have too many of those types floating around. Both are servicable players but shouldn't be a part of your core leadership group. Hopefully some young guys step up and make it a non issue.

I've thought the same. But I think I remember players speaking highly of him, same with Stepan. We also added Kessel so there's 3 very laid back guys. Maybe too many?

Honestly if I'm any GM in the NHL I doubt id even give a 3rd for Goligoski, makes too much money, has a 8 team no trade list so options are limited since he can veto teams that would be interested in him potentially and he really never impresses me at any end of the ice..

I wonder what his value is too. A Goligoski for Carter trade was discussed so I don't think it's too high. I wonder what other people think of his value. On the main boards comments on him haven't been that high. Some consider him a cap dump. A 3rd or maybe a 2nd sounds right to me but I'm biased.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Goligoski+Hossa+Merkley+Unprotected 1st?
As poor as the Coyotes draft in no way should they be trading an unprotected 1st round pick. It quite possibly is a lottery pick and we have seen some unlikely winners move up to the coveted top 3 spots.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As poor as the Coyotes draft in no way should they be trading an unprotected 1st round pick. It quite possibly is a lottery pick and we have seen some unlikely winners move up to the coveted top 3 spots.
No argument from me. How can we add Kreider given his acquisition cost and cap hit, while adding Gardiner given his cap hit? Don’t think you do that and keep your first.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly if I'm any GM in the NHL I doubt id even give a 3rd for Goligoski, makes too much money, has a 8 team no trade list so options are limited since he can veto teams that would be interested in him potentially and he really never impresses me at any end of the ice. I think he's a solid bottom 4 d that can reliably eat 16-20 minutes but is also fairly easy to replace. He's not the best defensively by any means, doesn't really bring an offensive spark but he is reliable. His best quality is his transition passes I think. I'd really have no problem replacing him with Oesterle right now if it cleared the cap a bit for next year.
Id also be ok with getting Gardiner for this year as a temporary offensive boost, but I'd focus more on paying the forwards and building the forward lines, Arizona has too much cap spent on their blueline in my opinion. Teams aren't building from the net out like they use to, the best teams are building forward depth then adding d when they become available with deals that are steals (Barrie, trouba, Subban this off season alone). So you need to get those forwards that rarely change teams through the draft. Which is the reason I would always look to draft game changing forwards in the first 3 rounds. Unless you get a chance to grab a D that fell way too far or a absolute homerun player like Dahlin or Hedman.
You win from the net out, and in my opinion we are a few million high on the D, but when you don't have to pay for and depend on a super star forward, the better D you have the better off you will be.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've thought the same. But I think I remember players speaking highly of him, same with Stepan. We also added Kessel so there's 3 very laid back guys. Maybe too many?

I wonder what his value is too. A Goligoski for Carter trade was discussed so I don't think it's too high. I wonder what other people think of his value. On the main boards comments on him haven't been that high. Some consider him a cap dump. A 3rd or maybe a 2nd sounds right to me but I'm biased.
I think most Coyote players, including OEL, are under rated by other teams fans. Most don't watch the Coyotes to begin with and just look at the stats to form an opinion. Why do you think the Yotes are always picked for last? Nobody covers the Coyotes.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think most Coyote players, including OEL, are under rated by other teams fans. Most don't watch the Coyotes to begin with and just look at the stats to form an opinion. Why do you think the Yotes are always picked for last? Nobody covers the Coyotes.

Locally and nationally.

They’re going to surprise a lot of people this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I very rarely hear anyone on tv underestimating OEL. Most see him as a middle of the pack 1st pairing D. That is where I see him as well. There is an elite half dozen and then another group of probably a dozen behind them. Some years OEL is at the from of that dozen, some years he is near the back but he is pretty much in that group every season. Some Coyote's fans go overboard the other way and think he should be in the Norris conversation every year.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
completely off topic, but I don't think it warrants a new thread. Anyone know if they're going to have a "garage sale" as they have had in previous years at Fan Fest on Saturday?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sign Gardiner and call it an offseason. Maybe add or substitute that with a Marleau signing on a stupid cheap deal and term.
I read earlier that Marleau isn't getting anywhere with Sharks , still wants to play, and is exploring other options. No idea if we are in there???

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
there was a brief stretch early in his career where he was underrated. He's been "consistently" mediocre and inconsistent since then, so I'm not sure how he is currently underrated. He hasn't performed on a level that would indicate that lately. He certainly has the potential to play better and has, but not lately.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Sign Gardiner and call it an offseason. Maybe add or substitute that with a Marleau signing on a stupid cheap deal and term.

I think we are indeed signing Gardiner. I don’t see any other logical explanation out there for why it’s taken this long for him to sign, other than the fact that he has a deal in place already and is waiting on Hossa to go to LTIR. Vets like Boyle and Marleau etc I can understand why they aren’t signed. Gardiner not being signed makes no sense whatsoever, unless he’s waiting on something to make it official.
Other teams rumored to be involved: MTL - don’t think he wants to go from one extreme Canadian market where every mistake is magnified, to another. I’m sure MTL is interested, but I don’t think Gardiner has interest in playing there. TOR - doesn’t have the money, plain and simple. Would require probably not one but multiple moves to make room for him. Don’t see it happening. I’m like 80% sure he’s signing here.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Somebody said Marleau has no interest in Arizona. Can't remember who reported it though.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This was just a couple of days ago (again). I'll see if I can find the article.
Ok, I'm not sure where we have a spot for him to be honest. It's not like we have a ton of kids who need guidance. And He's not the player he was just a couple seasons ago.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agreed. No interest in Marleau on my part. Not a fit for what we're trying to do, and I'm not even sure where he'd play. I'm already kinda annoyed that a guy like Garland probably won't get regular minutes.

Reactions: Jakey53

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
With Keller signed we now have about 7M in cap space for next season + 5M Hossa LTIR + whatever the cap goes up by.

FAs
Hinostroza 3M
Fischer 1.5M
Soderberg replacement 1M
Richardson 1M

Bush 1M

Kuemper 4M

11.5M/12.5M+ cap increase.

If we make the playoffs with this group weret in a really good spot next year. And depending on the cap increase we could even keep Soderberg. Or upgrade on him by only paying one goalie ~4M.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Keller signed we now have about 7M in cap space for next season + 5M Hossa LTIR + whatever the cap goes up by.

FAs
Hinostroza 3M
Fischer 1.5M
Soderberg replacement 1M
Richardson 1M

Bush 1M

Kuemper 4M

11.5M/12.5M+ cap increase.

If we make the playoffs with this group weret in a really good spot next year. And depending on the cap increase we could even keep Soderberg. Or upgrade on him by only paying one goalie ~4M.
If Kuemper and Raanta are both relatively healthy and each perform very well, we won’t have both next season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If Kuemper and Raanta are both relatively healthy and each perform very well, we won’t have both next season.

Agree on the goalie situation - we will wind up making a decision on one of them, even if it means that we keep Raanta for his last year because a decent trade partner could not be found.

On a team that appears to be overstocked at C, do we keep Richardson? If he is our last signing of the season, then I am okay with it, but we would still have all of our other potential centers back in Schmaltz, Stepan, Hayton, and Dvorak. We could theoretically have Schnarr, Merkley, or another AHL type bounce into a C position in a bottom 6 role.

I think we move on from Richardson, for certain. I could see us looking at a trade of one of our defensemen or Raanta. Fischer could also possibly be out the door. But, if Soderberg has a good year, he is top priority to resign and we just have the expectation of maturity and stable growth for the young guys.

I do want to make sure that we are not passing out extensions like candy to the point where we get in trouble for the expansion draft.

That is the only piece to the puzzle that I am keeping my eye on.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think this is the last season in AZ for both Richardson and Stepan.
I see why Stepan would be moved, we can use that money better. But I would keep Richardson around, he's good insurance and leadership at that rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad