Official Coyotes 2019-20 Season Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes. People often criticize players when they are playing like ****. Good job noticing.
Schmaltz missed a ton of time with injury. Apparently, he needed an entire training camp and preseason, and exactly two NHL games and five day break from games to shake off 100% of his rust, and start playing the best hockey of his life.

That's pretty good. Really glad he was able to turn things around so shockingly quick.

Having said that, you're totally correct. He was rusty. He did play like shit. Luckily not for long. :)

Reactions: Canis Latrans

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's been really good the last two or three games. He went from godawful to "okay" before that. So hopefully he's trending up and not just hot.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I also thought Schmaltz was solid when he wasn't producing points. Our team D has been very good, so players are being generally responsible and playing within the system. We need to keep the GAA down, that is our strong suit. I see all these suggested changes on this board but many times line combinations are about D more than O. You need a balance but D combinations of forward lines are more important, they keep you in games. I think about this in terms of our first line, Stepan makes them better on D, they will get tough matchups and that line has to play D too with 2 average wingers. Schmaltz/DVO/garland line has been money, if it works don't fix it. I do think that line will start seeing stiffer matchups but that could free up the Stepan line.

Bottom line, the team looks very good, make small changes but not much. We have been in every game with a chance to win, don't fix it.
Schmaltz did not play well the first two or three games and RT even stated as much. He had to get his timing back from injury and that takes time and was expected. I think he has been our best forward the last couple of games, and has been involved and engaged in almost every aspect of the game. I think Garland has much to do with the way Schmaltz is playing. Both have been a pleasant surprise the last few games. Hope they can keep it up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In a way though, the team is clearly considering Garland ahead of Hinostroza anyhow. He is getting ice time with Schmaltz and Dvorak, because he is putting himself ahead of Hinostroza with his play.

I don't think that Hinostroza is a bad player by any means. However, I don't believe that he will live up to a 40 point scorer that I think some people believe he will be
The last two years Vinnie has been a 0.52 PPG player.That line is snake bit at the moment, and Grabner can't buy a goal, but Vinnie has made many bone headed plays this year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Schmaltz did not play well the first two or three games and RT even stated as much. He had to get his timing back from injury and that takes time and was expected. I think he has been our best forward the last couple of games, and has been involved and engaged in almost every aspect of the game. I think Garland has much to do with the way Schmaltz is playing. Both have been a pleasant surprise the last few games. Hope they can keep it up.
I thought Tocc said his timing was off and he was a little rusty. I took that as effecting his offence but not his overall play, he was fine away from the puck and on D. That line just seems like a good combination. teams will adjust and they might get tougher matchups now.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yes. People often criticize players when they are playing like ****. Good job noticing.

I noticed a lot of comments saying he was bad.

I didn't see him playing as badly as the comments stated. There were about 2 situations in the first 2 or 3 games that he was bad on.

We just watch the games a little differently. A lot of people were miserable after the first two games and I saw nothing but positives. The bad steal attempt in the first game was the only play I would have taken back. I loved everything about the way that we played.

Funny thing is that we have continued to play that way. We have outplayed each team that we have faced so far. By a WIDE margin. Unfortunately, that does not always get reflected on the scoreboard, but over the long haul, things will get done.

You are too busy trying to nitpick the problems with players that you didnt throw your weight behind, and you are missing a good thing in the process.

Our forecheck is creating havoc. We turn the play back into the offensive end quickly. We'll give up some bad shots defensively, but we are keeping the middle of the ice clean.

And you are stuck on someone who is allegedly playing like shit. Hate to break it to you, but if this is playing like shit, give me more. Hopefully all of our players take the advice of Shooter McGavin and eat pieces of shit for breakfast. Cause playing like shit is kinda working.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Look at it this way - Schmaltz had his best success with Keller last year, correct?

So timing wasn't just related to bounceback from injury. He certainly made one of his two gaffes in that Boston game by not reacting to Marchand, which could have been physical play.

He also had to re-establish some things with Dvorak. Correct me if I am wrong, but he has also now had three different left wings. I thought it was Crouse-Dvorak-Schmaltz in first two games. Hayton took Crouse's place, followed by Garland.

I mean, 9 months without a meaningful game and having different linemates, so I wasn't expecting something major, but I was also hoping he would chug right along and be contributing a little early. This has been pleasant thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan