Official College Hockey Thread 2013-2014 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I would imagine GopherState was implying that you probably wouldn't get much useful information. tDon just doesn't seem like he would give out info around the dinner table that isn't already known .

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Gophers unlikely to have any early departures this year. If anybody were to leave early it would be Rau, but guys like Bjugstad want him to stay and work on his strength and size.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
According to Joe Schmidt: "From a good source", the Gophers are worried about losing Rau and Reilly. They believe Wilcox will stay

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gophers are going to suck so bad next year with all the senior talent they lost! :sarcasm:

Looking forward to seeing if the gophers can keep their top players or if they (like my badgers) cannot keep them.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think Rau will stay. Reilly has me a bit worried.

Top two flight risks in my mind, right now, are Skjei and Reilly.

I'd be shocked if we lost more than two.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Reilly isn't ready.

Of course he isn't ready, but that never seems to stop some of these kids from bolting, unfortunately.

The one thing we have going for us is Reilly's brothers, IMO. Last time he's ever gonna play hockey with his brothers, hopefully he comes back for another year, at least, of that.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
You think these kids are all gonna tell their coach ahead of time before they decide to move on? Hell, they may not even know themselves right now. Coaches get blindsided from time to time, just like the fans do.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
Yeah but they might have a clue more than media would.

But you're right they get blindsided from time to time but the fact that he said Rau was the most likely to leave makes me feel safe about everybody else

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I'm expecting Rau to leave. M. Reilly would be almost as big an idiot if he left early like Leddy and certainly Aaron Ness were. I don't anticipate beyond that any major departure's though.

Obviously we'll see, but we're loaded with young kids this time around so not overly worried.

xyz1

Apr 29, 2012
You can certainly see in retrospect that Ness might have been better served to stay longer, but Nick Leddy, who just turned 23 last month, has played in every regular season game for the Blackhawks over the past three years, and won a Stanley Cup. Gopher fans might selfishly wish he had stayed, but given his success since leaving it's kind of hard to see how it was much of a mistake for him to go pro.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
You think these kids are all gonna tell their coach ahead of time before they decide to move on? Hell, they may not even know themselves right now. Coaches get blindsided from time to time, just like the fans do.

For the most part, yes.

You can certainly see in retrospect that Ness might have been better served to stay longer, but Nick Leddy, who just turned 23 last month, has played in every regular season game for the Blackhawks over the past three years, and won a Stanley Cup. Gopher fans might selfishly wish he had stayed, but given his success since leaving it's kind of hard to see how it was much of a mistake for him to go pro.

The issue with Leddy isn't that he was going to be a good pro. He was and is. It's that rather than stay a second year and develop further he left for the AHL at 19 (something that is being repeated on the pro level at Minnesota with Olofsson).

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
The issue with Leddy isn't that he was going to be a good pro. He was and is. It's that rather than stay a second year and develop further he left for the AHL at 19 (something that is being repeated on the pro level at Minnesota with Olofsson).

This is what I will never understand. Why would players want to go pro early to play in the AHL. Maybe to get some attention from the organization is the only reason I can think of and it doesn't seem like a very goo one at that. Guys like Bjugstad who left early is different because to my memory he didnt play in the AHL f he did it certainly wasn't for very long. I there is something that I am missing as to why players would want I do this please fill me in.

xyz1

Apr 29, 2012
Leddy's a guy who's so good he most likely would have succeeded no matter what barring injury, and I certainly don't think it would have hurt him much, if any, had he stayed. But his AHL development his first season out consisted of a total of 22 games, while he played 46 with the Blackhawks, and he spent all of 2011-2012 in the NHL. The trip back to the AHL the next year was due to the lockout. Since this got him out of his entry-level contract sooner - he's making $2M this year and $3.4 next, according to CapGeek - I certainly can't find a lot of reason to question what he did if I pretend for a minute not to be a Gopher fan.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
With what happened to the Wild last night I need to get away from that and talk about something that isn't rigged: college hockey.

Badgers have 2 new recruits in Dominick Mersch (michael's younger brother) and Adam Parsells. Mersch expected to join in 2017 and Parsells in 2016.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
This is what I will never understand. Why would players want to go pro early to play in the AHL. Maybe to get some attention from the organization is the only reason I can think of and it doesn't seem like a very goo one at that. Guys like Bjugstad who left early is different because to my memory he didnt play in the AHL f he did it certainly wasn't for very long. I there is something that I am missing as to why players would want I do this please fill me in.

70+K pay a year, no school and it can be a better development for you since you'll get to play a pro style game with closer to pro speeds and situations. Its not right for every player, but it can be right for guys who are able to keep with the game both mentally and physically.

Leddy was a guy who benefited from AHL time, not everyone does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad