Official Calgary Flames 2015 Draft Thread v.2: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
At last years draft it was really cool to see our management/scouts interview some of the guys and really gave us fans some insight into what goes on in that process. I really, really trust our scouts. I would trust whoever they pick.

The thing that always strikes confidence in me with the scouts is the fact a lot of Flames scouting staff have been around through around 5-6 GM's, and the Flames have had better drafts as they've gotten more control in the process (and having picks in the first 3 rounds helps too!)

Aug 21, 2014
If the Flames don't go for the "safe" pick at 15 (i.e. Roy/Svechnikov/Harkins etc.), they should definitely pick Kylington if he's available. Ceiling is just too high, and he can learn to play D in a very offensively minded defensive system.

Kylington would likely fit our system extremely well.

These guys get it. Kylington's upside outweigh his faults IMO. I hope Flames pick him. But I see either OTT (@ 18) or DET (@19) picking him.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'm not seeing Crouse as the same effective size of Rantanen or even Meier though I really only followed him closely with Bennett on the team and he was fairly full passenger through those couple weeks and absolutely invisible in the playoffs.

If we are looking to trade up with 2nd's I'd stay at 15 and look at the number of sexy names that may fall in the 28-35 range. Boeser, Carlo, Pilon, maybe even Kylington.

He scored half of his teams goals in the playoffs...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Meh, left out college players, which makes me ask questions.

They made a mistake in adding their numbers, but Hanifin was amended to the list (#5) and Werenski will be added soon as well.

But even with that in mind, it's definitely not foolproof. It's just historical cohorts of size/scoring, and there's certainly more to prospects than just those two things. That said, it's just one more tool that says Roy is a pretty damn good prospect if he's available at 15.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yeah I read the explanations in the thread, but I still wasn't impressed especially with the 1 to 1.6 pts ratio for a 17 year old playing in the NCAA.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
He scored half of his teams goals in the playoffs...

He did, He scored a PP goal via a nice set-up from Bennett and banged in a goal from inside the crease on a pass from Roland (why didn't we draft him :( ).

But his game is supposed to be his defense (as he scores more similarly to 2nd/3rd round picks than 1sts) and he was a giant hole during the 8-0 loss, the rest of the series he was really only visible when in the box for bad penalties, then had a match penalty to cap off the series.

I really don't like Crouse as a top 10 pick at 15 he'd be very interesting, but I just don't see a blue chip guy and am not surprised a scout came out to say his team doesn't have Crouse top 10.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
He did, He scored a PP goal via a nice set-up from Bennett and banged in a goal from inside the crease on a pass from Roland (why didn't we draft him :( ).

But his game is supposed to be his defense (as he scores more similarly to 2nd/3rd round picks than 1sts) and he was a giant hole during the 8-0 loss, the rest of the series he was really only visible when in the box for bad penalties, then had a match penalty to cap off the series.

I really don't like Crouse as a top 10 pick at 15 he'd be very interesting, but I just don't see a blue chip guy and am not surprised a scout came out to say his team doesn't have Crouse top 10.

Fair enough. On the other hand I see him as a top 10 pick. He has an NHL frame, a great three zone game and is an excellent skater. I think your on the right track in that he may not be the guy who creates the offense on his line but I think he is a very good player to have around a guy like Bennett or Gaudreau who are smaller but tend to create something most times while they are on the ice. I think he can capitalize on their set-ups and create room for them to do their thing. For a big guy he would definitely be able to keep up with those guys too. Depending if/how far he falls I would be all over him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I get that everyone wants to find the next Erik Karlsson defenseman. But remember guys like Rundblad who had similar skills sets who have done poorly in the NHL. (man, Ottawa trading their 15th overall pick for Rundblad and then St. Louis picking Tarasenko looks terrible in hindsight. Thank goodness they recouped some value in Turris)

I just think a Kylington pick at 15 has the potential to absolutely be looked at as another Jankowski pick, a project pick that will be the source of derision for a long time.

Despite our success this year in the playoffs I don't feel we are in a position to make a gamble in a draft like this.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I get that everyone wants to find the next Erik Karlsson defenseman. But remember guys like Rundblad who had similar skills sets who have done poorly in the NHL.

I just think a Kylington pick at 15 has the potential to absolutely be looked at as another Jankowski pick, a project pick that will be the source of derision for a long time.

Despite our success this year in the playoffs I don't feel we are in a position to make a gamble in a draft like this.

Rundblad is exactly the guy who comes to mind when I think about picking Kylington. I think there is good reasons he is dropping so sharply. If we can rangle a late 1st a pick him up then sure but there will be better D available at our pick. If this was a thin 1st round for D prospects I would understand the desire to pick him more.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, I was high on Kylington at the beginning of the year, but there is a reason why he continues to drop, something isn't right. If he is available at another pick for us other than 15, sure, let's go for it. But Roy, Chabot, Svechnikov, Konecny, Meier, etc. are all prospects I'd much rather go for.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brandon Saad went from a possible top five pick at the beginning of his draft year to being taken in the second round.

Sometimes, the stock of other players rising has more to do with a player dropping. Could be too, that scouts expected much more from Kylington and their disappointment has them pushing him down the rankings.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Guys, your Flames mods participated in the two-round mod mock draft, and we came away with the following players:

-Oliver Kylington (Stewie pulled a Weisbrod on this one and demanded we take him ;))
-Filip Chlapik
-Christian Fischer
-Rasmus Andersson

Hopefully something for everyone here.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Guys, your Flames mods participated in the two-round mod mock draft, and we came away with the following players:

-Oliver Kylington (Stewie pulled a Weisbrod on this one and demanded we take him ;))
-Filip Chlapik
-Christian Fischer
-Rasmus Andersson

Which would make you feel better? If I said:

'I like this draft more than an Anglesmith GDT.'

or

'This draft is worse than an Anglesmith GDT.'

Aug 21, 2014

-Filip Chlapik
-Christian Fischer
-Rasmus Andersson

I like it. Thanks Stewie. :D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

-Filip Chlapik
-Christian Fischer
-Rasmus Andersson

to add more context.

Oliver Kylington
Defense ● 6'0" ● 181 lbs ● Left Shot
scouting report

Filip Chlapik
Center ● 6'1" ● 183 lbs ● Left Shot
scouting report

Christian Fischer