Official Calgary Flames 2015 Draft Thread v.2: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Does anyone think Sprong is still an option for 15thOA? I mean the guy is pure skill, just crappy on defense. Apparently he had issues with the team or something. I don't know but if anyone can screw Sprongs head on straight, it would be Hartley. And defense can be taught. But with this guys skill he has a top 6 ceiling. Drafting him is definitely a risk

Seems like he is this years Ho-Sang, I'd have very mixed feelings about drafting him. His skill level is undeniable though.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
wouldn't be surprised if brock boeser is an option, craig buttons really high on the RWer.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seems like he is this years Ho-Sang, I'd have very mixed feelings about drafting him. His skill level is undeniable though.

Ho-sang is a head case though, most of what I've read about Sprong is that he doesn't use his teammates all the time. You've seen him more than me, would Mantha be a better comparison? Unless he is a headcase, in which case I will quietly leave this thread. :laugh:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Ho-sang is a head case though, most of what I've read about Sprong is that he doesn't use his teammates all the time. You've seen him more than me, would Mantha be a better comparison? Unless he is a headcase, in which case I will quietly leave this thread. :laugh:

Not a headcase its like you said he doesn't use his teammates, however he does pass, he just seems to use his teammates like tools rather than actual players. He has a Kessel like skill to his game, fast, skilled and has a hell of a shot. However similar to Kessel he floats (I cant confirm this but its what I've heard) which would have to change if he plans on making the Flames because we all know Hartley would not put up with that. But that nickname though, the thought of having Johnny Hockey Tm and The Flying Dutchman on the same team is simply incredible. :naughty:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

It's true that he has trouble using his line mates. Much like Virtanen. However I think that can be remedied.

Id be far more worried about his attitude issues, apparently his Father is much in the same mold as Gilbert Brules father, a total nut job. There are several posts in his old prospect thread about his father getting in fights in the stands and also being abusive towards his teammates. I'll see if I can find the thread it was pretty damning.

If Sprong is there at 45 though, I'd take him and worry about his potential attitude issues later, he is a top 10 talent in the draft IMO. There is zero chance he falls that far.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Sprong is there at 45 I'd take him and worry about his potential attitude issues later, he is a top 10 talent in the draft IMO. There is zero chance he falls that far.

I think that's exactly how the Isles felt about Ho-Sang.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us shoot for another late 1st like they did in 2014.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's true that he has trouble using his line mates. Much like Virtanen. However I think that can be remedied.

Id be far more worried about his attitude issues, apparently his Father is much in the same mold as Gilbert Brules father, a total nut job. There are several posts in his old prospect thread about his father getting in fights in the stands and also being abusive towards his teammates. I'll see if I can find the thread it was pretty damning.

If Sprong is there at 45 though, I'd take him and worry about his potential attitude issues later, he is a top 10 talent in the draft IMO. There is zero chance he falls that far.

My 2 nephews are 7 & 8 years old, it is crazy to see how serious the parents can get at even that age. I'm not really surprised, it's just pretty amazing.

At last years draft it was really cool to see our management/scouts interview some of the guys and really gave us fans some insight into what goes on in that process. I really, really trust our scouts. I honestly think that Bennett was the guy they wanted because of his character/attitude. I would trust whoever they pick, if they felt a player had any character issues whatsoever, he will not be picked by the Flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My 2 nephews are 7 & 8 years old, it is crazy to see how serious the parents can get at even that age. I'm not really surprised, it's just pretty amazing.

At last years draft it was really cool to see our management/scouts interview some of the guys and really gave us fans some insight into what goes on in that process. I really, really trust our scouts. I honestly think that Bennett was the guy they wanted because of his character/attitude. I would trust whoever they pick, if they felt a player had any character issues whatsoever, he will not be picked by the Flames.

I get the same impression and given the last few drafts they have earned the benefit of the doubt for sure. I would agree that character/attitude is weighted more heavily by the Flames than some other teams. For that reason I could see us targeting Crouse if we trade up/he slips a bit.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I get the same impression and given the last few drafts they have earned the benefit of the doubt for sure. I would agree that character/attitude is weighted more heavily by the Flames than some other teams. For that reason I could see us targeting Crouse if we trade up/he slips a bit.

I would love Crouse! If he were to slip to 8 or 9 maybe we could trade up to get him.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I would love Crouse! If he were to slip to 8 or 9 maybe we could trade up to get him.

No thanks. We are better off picking with are 15th.

Besides when was the last time a team traded up and got a top 10 pick? 6-7 spots is a huge leap for a team trading out of the top 10.

Also the team picking would probably take him at 8 or 9.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Yeah that's the situation I envisioned as well. Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames were high on him given their past drafting tendencies.

I don't think he has much more than 2nd line, 50~ point upside. He is one of those guys you win with though I think and would be a really good leadership type player for this group.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Only want Crouse if he drops to 15 honestly. Would only trade up if Werenski miraculously falls out of the top 10.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

This is the exact reason I can't see the Flames taking Sprong unless he falls a considerable amount. Managment has built this team around hardworking, selfless, character guys and if the claims about attitude issues are indeed legitimate I don't see management wanting to bring someone like that in, even if he's got all the skill in the world. I don't blame them either. Personally I would take a pass on a player that has attitude issues and comes across as somewhat selfish in favour of a selfless guy with slightly less skill 10 times out of 10. That said I trust our scouts and management to find out for sure one way or another if the rumours are true.

To your other thought I would absolutely love to have Crouse. Reading the main boards he gets a lot of hate because of where he is ranked but ever since the WJC he has been on my radar.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think it depends on what the cost of trading up is, I mean if its for an expendable asset like Hiller (not saying its likely) or something then its a pretty easy pill to swallow.

I suppose. I only want to trade up for Provorov or Werenski though. They are a clear tier above Roy and Chabot.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If the Flames don't go for the "safe" pick at 15 (i.e. Roy/Svechnikov/Harkins etc.), they should definitely pick Kylington if he's available. Ceiling is just too high, and he can learn to play D in a very offensively minded defensive system.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Kylington falls out of the first round, then I would definitely want the Flames to trade up, perhaps trading the 45th and 53rd for a pick between 30th and 35th. Drafting Kylington and the 'Otherspoon would make for a good second round.

But I'm also not opposed to the Flames taking Kylington at 15 either if it doesn't appear he's going to fall that far.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
To me the top two are obviously locks..

And then Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Strome, Marner, Crouse and Rantaanen are in that next teir of very good players.

After that I see a bit of a drop off. We would need to trade a significant amount to get any of those pieces.

As for Crouse, he plays an NHL style game at 17. He's got NHL skating ability, size, and defensive acumen. He blows Nick Richie out of the water IMO. And he also showed offensive upside when he played with other good players which he really didn't have in Kingston with Bennett and Watson out.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Would love to get Rantanen if possible, think he's a big game player. That, or Roy/Schevnikov.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
if crouse does fall out of the top 10 we should be all over that. Players who can think and skate with his size are rare. from what i heard he worked well with bennett and opened up a lot of space for him. although im not really expecting that to happen at all.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm not seeing Crouse as the same effective size of Rantanen or even Meier though I really only followed him closely with Bennett on the team and he was fairly full passenger through those couple weeks and absolutely invisible in the playoffs.

If we are looking to trade up with 2nd's I'd stay at 15 and look at the number of sexy names that may fall in the 28-35 range. Boeser, Carlo, Pilon, maybe even Kylington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad