Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
The Avs won't keep having low scoring games. I'd be surprised if Makar isn't 5+ points over Hughes at the end.

Posts like this cracks me up, it reminds me of the posts earlier in the season in November when I said Makar was not going to score 30 goals and people told me when Rantanen got back it was gonna increase not decrease, at that point he had 8 goals and Hughes had 2. Now here we are at the end of February and would you look at that he's unlikely to even hit 20, in fact that gap in goals is now 4. It's almost as if Makar was riding high percentages all year and he's regressed towards the mean just like I said would happen.

NHL2004ISDABOMB

Dec 30, 2018
so my prediction was correct Quinn Hughes got 2 points tonight and Makar 0 points thus the PPG argument in favor of Makar is soon to be moot. They're practically even now .82 and .84 the calder will be decided by points but if they are almost even at the end of the season then I still think Hughes should win it because he's doing more things than Makar and is more valuable to the canucks. Whatever happens in the last 21 games may the best man win. Dont worry Avs fan even if Makar dont win it this year you still have Byram next.

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Im telling you these last few games hughes has been controlling the game. and it's not even debatable.

He's played TOI 34:58 5v5
in that span
HD Scoring chances for = 16
HD scoring chances against = 1

16 TO 1 dangerous scoring chance differential in that span of ice time 5v5 is ridiculous.
like that is absurd.
duhhhhh He's a PP QB......... Yeah then explain him absolutely slaughtering 5v5.
Like, those numbers are just your opinion, man

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Posts like this cracks me up, it reminds me of the posts earlier in the season in November when I said Makar was not going to score 30 goals and people told me when Rantanen got back it was gonna increase not decrease, at that point he had 8 goals and Hughes had 2. Now here we are at the end of February and would you look at that he's unlikely to even hit 20, in fact that gap in goals is now 4. It's almost as if Makar was riding high percentages all year and he's regressed towards the mean just like I said would happen.

I'd be surprised if you found more than a single Avs fan that thought he'd score 30 goals, he can however outscore a year younger Hughes, of course I could be wrong and time will tell. The Avs don't rely on Makar as much as Vancouver does Hughes either way, so in that sense Hughes may be having a more impressive season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Avs won't keep having low scoring games. I'd be surprised if Makar isn't 5+ points over Hughes at the end.
I’d be shocked if Makar ends up with more points at all tbh. The point race has been going in Hughes favour for a while now and he’s been getting better as the year has gone on. I could see Makar picking things up but I’d be surprised if he manages to close the gap much. I think it’s more likely that Hughes widens the gap some more.
We shall soon see.

Reactions: NHL2004ISDABOMB

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'd be surprised if you found more than a single Avs fan that thought he'd score 30 goals, he can however outscore a year younger Hughes, of course I could be wrong and time will tell. The Avs don't rely on Makar as much as Vancouver does Hughes either way, so in that sense Hughes may be having a more impressive season.
I do think this is true, and might be a big factor. I love Makar, and he fits extraordinarily well within a great offensive Avalanche team. The Canucks are pretty good, but without Hughes they would be in a lot of trouble. It is incredible how essential he has become so quickly.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I do think this is true, and might be a big factor. I love Makar, and he fits extraordinarily well within a great offensive Avalanche team. The Canucks are pretty good, but without Hughes they would be in a lot of trouble. It is incredible how essential he has become so quickly.

Yeah, it still feels like yesterday I was looking at Hughes vs Makar potentially competing for the Calder and here they are likely scoring 60+ points each if they finish strong. Its pretty awesome.

Reactions: ziploc

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Countless former NCAA rookies from Boeser, keller, werenski, etc have talked about this final quarter of the season as being when you really start to feel the grind of an NHL season.

It will be interesting to see how this rookie class handles it down the stretch.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
hey where are the avs fans that ridiculed me (minority)

and where are the posters that thought my takes was hot (majority)

Britton

Nov 28, 2008

Cale Makar Calder Favorite?

It basically starts there and goes for the next couple pages. It wasn't so much 30 goals as 25+ that they were arguing, but whole crux of the argument was that Makar was somehow on another level from Hughes, and he wasn't gonna come back down to earth.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO

It basically starts there and goes for the next couple pages. It wasn't so much 30 goals as 25+ that they were arguing, but whole crux of the argument was that Makar was somehow on another level from Hughes, and he wasn't gonna come back down to earth.

I'd hardly accuse Makar of coming back down to earth. He might not be collecting points but it isn't like he's playing bad, actually I think he does have another gear to hit but we won't be seeing it till the playoffs.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
The first three quarters of this thread are a treat to read. Guess what -- Hughes has caught up. Highest scoring defenseman in the league over the last two months. Fourth in defensive scoring, two back of third in the entire league. 20 years old. Very solid argument to be made that he is already the best player on the roster.

15 points in his last 11 games. Plays a ton of minutes, solid possession stats. All on a worse team.

Quarter of the season left and if the trend continues, Hughes is taking the Calder.

Reactions: bh53

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I believe if voting were today, it would be EXTREMELY close. Basically a coin toss. No one knows at this point...the final 20 games will decide everything.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Well, Hughes is hot now while Makar was hot earlier. If we think of this as a pendulum it might not go the way Vancouver fans are hoping...

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

Well Hughes is on another level than Makar right now. How is it so egregious to say Makar was on another level at the time? He absolutely was lol and that's why people were freaking out. He was tearing the league a new one for months. Why get so butthurt about things people said a long time ago?

The discussion about these two players earlier in the season was/is absolutely embarrassing for both Avs and Canucks fans. Both sides have said (and continue to say) really stupid things in order to get a rise out of other people or make themselves feel better I suppose. You're just as petty for digging stuff up and linking it at this point in the season. Thankfully a majority of those posters on both sides have kind of bit the bullet and been more cordial, instead of just being petty.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Ya know, Sidney Crosby didn't win a Calder either.

I'm sure both teams are happy with their Defense man.

I think the Canuck fans are just hitting back at the sheer arrogance some Avs fans were exhibiting earlier in the year when they insisted Makar is "on another tier" from Hughes. It's obviously not the case. Whereas up til last week, I though the Calder is Makar's to lose, I believe Hughes is leading the race now. That 5v5 HD scoring chance discrepancy basically illustrates how dominant he's been for us. Other teams don't get to touch the puck for long stretches with his combination of flawless breakouts and masterful line walking.

You'll have to excuse Canucks fans tripping over themselves because the franchise had never had a offensive defensemen in it's 50 years, and all of a sudden, a Franchise 1D lands and people have no idea how to rein in their ....exuberance???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad