Official, Broduer OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Oh, oh. Luongo is good but he's not Brodeur and hasn't played a real game in months. Look for the Czechs to shoot early and often.

High flyin' Habs*

Macman said:
Oh, oh. Luongo is good but he's not Brodeur and hasn't played a real game in months. Look for the Czechs to shoot early and often.

They shoulda picked Theo as the starter, he's much more experienced and plays well under presure :banghead: . (im not being biased)

Crossroads*

smoothskater said:
They shoulda picked Theo as the starter, he's much more experienced and plays well under presure :banghead: . (im not being biased)

Yes, you are. Explain how Theo is more experienced than Luongo when it comes to international play?

High flyin' Habs*

CloudNine said:
Yes, you are. Explain how Theo is more experienced than Luongo when it comes to international play?

Did I say that he is more experienced when it comes to int. play? No I didnt.
I was saying that he's more experienced all around and has proven that he is good under presure, Luongo hasn't had the chance of proving something like that.

High flyin' Habs*

BeLeafer87 said:
Oh no...oh well at least they're putting in Luongo :)

We'll see how happy you'll be when he chokes and lets in 3 goals in 12 shots.

Crossroads*

smoothskater said:
I was saying that he's more experienced all around and has proven that he is good under presure, Luongo hasn't had the chance of proving something like that.

Well, son, guess what the World Cup is? That's right, say it with me, INTERNATIONAL PLAY.

Put your bias away and stop making Canadians look bad, there's a reason why Theo was 4th on the goaltending list for Team Canada and not selected originally.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
CloudNine said:
Well, son, guess what the World Cup is? That's right, say it with me, INTERNATIONAL PLAY.

Put your bias away and stop making Canadians look bad, there's a reason why Theo was 4th on the goaltending list for Team Canada and not selected originally.
:bow: :bow: :bow: Thats why he's not playing and why Luongo is! I think Theodore faltered in the playoffs last season. I mean in the Boston series, he was terrible for the first 4 games and than the Tampa series although you cant blame your goaltender totally but he is your backbone afterall.

High flyin' Habs*

CloudNine said:

Theodore also played in international play just for you to know!!

The reason Theo was selected 4th is because Gretz and his friends were smokin somthing really not good for them :lol .

High flyin' Habs*

Hey guys lets just wait and see how Luongo faires tonight then we'll have a little talk :) .

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
smoothskater said:

What the hell are you talking about? Was Luongo not in goal for the last 2 World Championship victories? What has Theodore done.. why don't you go smoke your bias away.. no bias my ass

High flyin' Habs*

BAuldie said:
What the hell are you talking about? Was Luongo not in goal for the last 2 World Championship victories? What has Theodore done.. why don't you go smoke your bias away.. no bias my ass

Oh, will the hab-hating ever stop? :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Grtezky expressed confidence in Luongo, who has been Canada's gold medal winning goaltender in the last two World Hockey Championships.

Yes. Yes he was.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Luongo going in spells problems to me in three ways:

1) Luongo is not as good as Brodeur (though he is still pretty good)
2) Luongo can't be 100% sharp (hasn't played a real game in awhile)
3) Czechs get a confidence boost.

High flyin' Habs*

Zednik said:
Maybe you should shut up... We lose all respect on these boards because of people like you. You just wrote 6 messages on this thread. GET A LIFE :shakehead

Souldn't he be banned for that? Dont I have the right to post how much I want??

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
smoothskater said:
Theodore also played in international play just for you to know!!

The reason Theo was selected 4th is because Gretz and his friends were smokin somthing really not good for them :lol .

The reason Theodore was selected is because 1) he's a great goalie and 2) Gretzky wanted someone with at least a bit of playoff experience to counterbalance Luongo probably only problem (that's was Belfour role). Now, which one should play tonight? I have no idea, but I think the whole "Theo against Luongo" debate is completely silly. It's not like the choice is clear cut and there's an obvious better player. Reallistically, I don't think it matters which one plays, simply because they are both exceptionnal goalies and there's no way to predict how they are going to react for this one specific game. Someone said that the three best goalies of the tournament all play for Canada, and this isn't really that off the chart (Kiprusoff could be the exception, but aside him...?)

It is possible to make a strong case for both of them. Luongo just ended a season with career high save percentage (0.931), he's huge and we all know he's good. But he's also young with no NHL playoff experience under his belt, a big minus. Theo has won the Vezina, the Hart, he's only two years older than Luongo but he already won two playoff rounds. His last season wasn' that spectacular though.

At the end, it will be Gretz (or Quinns) decision. Personnaly, I would lean on Theo because he looked better during the exhibition period they had the chance to play last week (getting the star of the game IIRC). But Canada coaches had the chance to see both of these players every day in practice since the begining of the tournament, so they have a much better view of who's the most ready.

But personnaly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brodeur tonight back in net.

EDIT: Just read that Luongo won 2 gold medal. That another big plus for him. But I stand on my main point: anyone who think that the choice of goalie is clear cut for tonight is simply being lame.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm not a hab hater at all but there's no way in hell I put Theodore in ahead of Luongo. Two straight standout world championship performances. Five straight elimination game wins. Canada still has the best goalie in the tournament.

PEli*

smoothskater said:
Hey guys lets just wait and see how Luongo faires tonight then we'll have a little talk :) .

Why don't you check your bias at the door and be a real fan. Are you rooting for the Habs or Team Canada here? Grow up and cheer for the team that's playing.

Luongo has won international tournaments before. With teams less experienced and skilled than this one. Canadians should have full confidence with him in goal. Luongo is more experienced and might be better equipped to deal with this pressure than Jose Theodore. Get over it.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Oh fudge...

I'll stand by my standard of not making predictions when my team is involved, but Brodeur out scares the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad