Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Epsilon said:
They really should have played one of the backups in that game with Slovakia in the round robin.

That's for sure. Neither Luongo or Theo have played for a while. Could be an interesting evening.

High flyin' Habs*

PEli said:
Why don't you check your bias at the door and be a real fan. Are you rooting for the Habs or Team Canada here? Grow up and cheer for the team that's playing.

Luongo has won international tournaments before. With teams less experienced and skilled than this one. Canadians should have full confidence with him in goal. Luongo is more experienced and might be better equipped to deal with this pressure than Jose Theodore. Get over it.

High flyin' Habs*

PEli said:
Why don't you check your bias at the door and be a real fan. Are you rooting for the Habs or Team Canada here? Grow up and cheer for the team that's playing.

Luongo has won international tournaments before. With teams less experienced and skilled than this one. Canadians should have full confidence with him in goal. Luongo is more experienced and might be better equipped to deal with this pressure than Jose Theodore. Get over it.

Im not being biased and Im rooting for team Canada!

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Epsilon said:
They really should have played one of the backups in that game with Slovakia in the round robin.
It's Quinn's stubborn streak acting up again. Pretty dumb decision on his part.

PEli said:
I don't really care about who starts tonight, since I'm not really confident in either guy right now because of rust, but how is Luongo more experienced than Theodore? Theodore has played much more high pressure games to this point in his career.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
Anyone who has watched Theodore in the playoffs (02 and 04) knows exactly how unpredictable he can be. While he has stolen playof games, he has also given them away. His playoff numbers are less than stellar. Luongo's the right choice; no question about it.

Heavy D

Feb 5, 2004
Epsilon said:

You're dead on. I think though, Quinn said he would leave the decision up to Brodeur himself and then stated that he thought Brodeur would want to play that game. We'd be a lot better off right now if he said to hell with it and started Luongo anyways. At any rate, I've seen Luongo look damn near unbeatable. Let's hope he can recapture that on relatively short notice.

ifesfor*

Jesus guys, some of you are talking like if our backup( Luongo) have the same talent as Pat Jablonski!!!.Yes he is our 2nd goalie BUT A HELL OF A GOALIE!!!Yes, im a habs fan, and Luongo>Theodore.

Luongo got a .931 save percentage(2nd in the league, behind Roloson and Kipp who were tie) so yeah i am confident that team canada got a good, if not better shot with him in the net.

Tonight we win.Period.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

go canada go!

High flyin' Habs*

Psycho Joe said:
It's Quinn's stubborn streak acting up again. Pretty dumb decision on his part.

I don't really care about who starts tonight, since I'm not really confident in either guy right now because of rust, but how is Luongo more experienced than Theodore? Theodore has played much more high pressure games to this point in his career.

Finally somebody with some sence. :)

High flyin' Habs*

ifesfor said:
Jesus guys, some of you are talking like if our backup( Luongo) have the same talent as Pat Jablonski!!!.Yes he is our 2nd goalie BUT A HELL OF A GOALIE!!!Yes, im a habs fan, and Luongo>Theodore.

Luongo got a .931 save percentage(2nd in the league, behind Roloson and Kipp who were tie) so yeah i am confident that team canada got a good, if not better shot with him in the net.

Tonight we win.Period.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

go canada go!

Better shot?? naaa, good? maybe.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Macman said:
Oh, oh. Luongo is good but he's not Brodeur and hasn't played a real game in months. Look for the Czechs to shoot early and often.
But Macman, why are you worried? Did you not post in the Tourney MVP will be.... thread the following:

Macman said:
Naming Brodeur MVP would imply that Canada has been outplayed in the tournament, or even tested, and everyone knows that hasn't been the case. Brodeur has only had to make a couple of tough stops in the entire tournament and he actually let in a weak goal. Hell, I could have played nets against Slovakia and Canada still would have won 5-1 or 5-2.
If you can play nets for Team Canada, don't you think Luongo or Theodore also can?

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
BAuldie said:
What the hell are you talking about? Was Luongo not in goal for the last 2 World Championship victories? What has Theodore done.. why don't you go smoke your bias away.. no bias my ass
won the world juniors, and Theo was to busy in the playoffs to win a meaningless tournament for also-rans this year.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Kickabrat said:
But Macman, why are you worried? Did you not post in the Tourney MVP will be.... thread the following:

If you can play nets for Team Canada, don't you think Luongo or Theodore also can?
but thatw as slovakia, this is the czech republic.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This should be interesting. Brodeur or Belfour are very well suited to team Canada's style of play, that is, they can be steady as a rock in a fairly quiet game for them, yet still come up with the big saves.

Theodore and Luongo are similar in the fact that they thrive in situations where the goalie has to steal a game, getting outshot, killing penalties, etc.

Canada doesn't need a goalie to steal a game, they just need someone to stop the puck - believe it or not, this is much harder than to steal a game.

Just ask Cujo.

IMO, the difference between Luongo and Theo is slim. Luongo, if he plays, will play well, and if he is steady, Canada will win.

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Officer Jim Lahey said:
This should be interesting. Brodeur or Belfour are very well suited to team Canada's style of play, that is, they can be steady as a rock in a fairly quiet game for them, yet still come up with the big saves.

Theodore and Luongo are similar in the fact that they thrive in situations where the goalie has to steal a game, getting outshot, killing penalties, etc.

Canada doesn't need a goalie to steal a game, they just need someone to stop the puck - believe it or not, this is much harder than to steal a game.

Just ask Cujo.

IMO, the difference between Luongo and Theo is slim. Luongo, if he plays, will play well, and if he is steady, Canada will win.

Very good point. Every goalie are not suited to face 15-25 shots a game. Some prefer receive 30-40 shots to keep them sharp. Anyway, Luongo is the best pure butterfly goalie in the world, and i predict a shut-out for him tonight with a 3-0 victory for Canada!

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
Don_Cherry said:
I'm not a hab hater at all but there's no way in hell I put Theodore in ahead of Luongo. Two straight standout world championship performances. Five straight elimination game wins. Canada still has the best goalie in the tournament.

I don't remember the first world championship so I won't call it, but the second world championship (this year) where Luongo won was pretty iffy, he was weak, very weak in the elimination round and he was lucky that team Canada was so strong. He's lucky that in the Sweden game Lundqvist was even more horrible than he was or else that would have been a black eye for his young career. He'll get the start, I have no doubt about that but I feel that the hype he gets is... a bit much to say when he hasn't backstopped his team to the playoffs and Flordia is no excuse as Theodore backstopped a much worse team in his hart and vezina year...

High flyin' Habs*

JV said:
Anyone who has watched Theodore in the playoffs (02 and 04) knows exactly how unpredictable he can be. While he has stolen playof games, he has also given them away. His playoff numbers are less than stellar. Luongo's the right choice; no question about it.

Because Luongo's playoff numbers are so stellar right?
:lol

High flyin' Habs*

Astaroth said:
I don't remember the first world championship so I won't call it, but the second world championship (this year) where Luongo won was pretty iffy, he was weak, very weak in the elimination round and he was lucky that team Canada was so strong. He's lucky that in the Sweden game Lundqvist was even more horrible than he was or else that would have been a black eye for his young career. He'll get the start, I have no doubt about that but I feel that the hype he gets is... a bit much to say when he hasn't backstopped his team to the playoffs and Flordia is no excuse as Theodore backstopped a much worse team in his hart and vezina year...

Thats what im talking about!

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
I agree with SmoothSkater. I am not very confident with Luongo in net. He played pretty badly in the exhibition game against the US. And at the past 2 World Hockey Championships he basically played well enough for the win. He didn't steal any games. Both times Canada was very lucky to bounce back after being down from Sweden.

I really wish we still had Belfour.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
I'm sorry, but what the hell is with the title of this thread? Brodeur is not officially out, he's "officially" contemplating sitting out for the game if after suiting up he feels his health is not up to scratch.

Unless I misread both tsn.ca and the Toronto Star this morning :dunno: I suppose my point is saying something is "official" when it is only speculated - regardless of whom makes said speculation - is pretty poor practise.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Why didn't they clone Brodeur?
Dammm!!!
That is one excellent question.
:handclap: ;) :D

Gretz and co should have had the foresight to not leave us so vulnerable.
Why did they have to choose someone, who is irreplaceable?
They should have picked guys who can "plug in and play"...

Oh wait...
They did.

C'mon guys...
Our boys are playing an awesome TEAM game.
They're not about to fall apart.

GO CANADA GO!!!

PEli*

Psycho Joe said:

Which ones? The WJC gold medal games or the World Championship gold medal games? I forget which ones Theodore participated in. Unless you're talking about the playoffs. Which I'd argue are not nearly as pressure filled as international gold medal games. Especially ones in high profile tournaments such as the WJCs and the Worlds.

If it's your opinion that Luongo isn't more experienced in pressure games, that's fine. It isn't correct though.

smoothskater said:
Im not being biased and Im rooting for team Canada!

Then why would you be waiting to see how he fares tonight? Firstly, if he gets shelled, you'll still have no point. Nobody would be able to say that Theodore would have had a better start. Secondly, if he does well, your tune won't change.

Have faith in the squad your country ices. Rather than pissing and moaning because your favorite team's goaltender isn't the starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad