Official Bears/NFL Thread XXII - Cutler starting @ Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Evidently a certain someone has no idea what he's talking about.

Cleveland's defense is very good.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Don't even start making excuses before the game starts. The Bears have a top 3 offense in the NFL. They should handle the Browns just fine.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bears are the #7 offense.

Fair enough, 7th in yards, 2nd in PPG as a team. It's undeniable that they have turned a corner the last 6-8 weeks. We have one of the best offenses in the NFL, that's the point. Teams like that don't get carved up and chalk it up to a great defense playing great. You expect to move the ball and score points.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Did you see what they did to the Pats last week? Took a gift by the refs for the Pats to pull it out.

Yeah, I did, but I'm not impressed with New England's offense at all this year. Are you? I haven't looked it up, but I recall them doing much more damage earlier in the season too.

Ok, looked it up, meh, kinda up and down throughout the year. Still, the Bears are better, especially lately.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Fair enough, 7th in yards, 2nd in PPG as a team. It's undeniable that they have turned a corner the last 6-8 weeks. We have one of the best offenses in the NFL, that's the point. Teams like that don't get carved up and chalk it up to a great defense playing great. You expect to move the ball and score points.

First 6 weeks - 28.6 points per game
Last 6 weeks (subtracting out the Lions game) - 22.4 points per game

What corner did they turn?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I did, but I'm not impressed with New England's offense at all this year. Are you? I haven't looked it up, but I recall them doing much more damage earlier in the season too.

New Englands offense is ranked 8th (50 yards less total offense than the Bears)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So you're ok with the offense having a poor game for their standards because of the defense they are playing? Obviously, I know you want them to do great, but if they don't, it's not a big deal?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So you're ok with the offense having a poor game for their standards because of the defense they are playing? Obviously, I know you want them to do great, but if they don't, it's not a big deal?

How did you get that? I want them to do well, it just won't be a surprise if they don't because they are facing a really good defense on the road.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wish they were playing tonight; this game is going to tell us a lot.

So has Cutler been officially cleared by the doctors yet and if not, why not?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's not at all unexpected that he has been named the starter.

I truly believe Trestman would rather have Cutler if choosing between the two and ideally, he would like to have both as he does now. He wants as much talent at a key position as he can get. But I think he probably looks at Cutler's raw skills and thinks that he can teach him to do everything McCown does plus with added zip on the ball, making those extra throws that McCown cannot.

Obviously, I don't agree with him and I don't think Emery does either, at least not at the expense of tying up big money in Cutler. And I also do not believe Cutler is going to take a big discount to stay here. So I think Cutler has to really show something these next 3 games and into the playoffs to sell Emery on him and the idea that we're better off with Cutler than McCown plus much more money to spend and potentially a draft pick for Cutler as well.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
2014 Free agents.

BbTCSYSCYAAOt-O.png:large

Let Melton, Peppers, Wright, Hayden walk. Resign Wooten, Jennings, Tillman, Anderson, and Ratliff, sign Bennett, Whitner, Spikes.

Tillman Bennett-Paea-Ratliff-Wooten Jennings
Briggs-Spikes-Anderson

Whitner Wright

Real NFL offense. Especially if you suplement it with defensive draft picks in the 3-4 rounds.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There is no doubt that the opportunity will be there for the Bears to turn the defense around in one offseason, at least to a slightly above average level. Emery is extremely proactive as well, so that is a huge plus for the Bears. I really like the idea of adding Michael Bennett as well.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
There is no doubt that the opportunity will be there for the Bears to turn the defense around in one offseason, at least to a slightly above average level. Emery is extremely proactive as well, so that is a huge plus for the Bears. I really like the idea of adding Michael Bennett as well.

I think the Bears draft a QB and then probably spend the rest of their picks on defense.

I don't see the drafting Matty's heir this draft...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I like Vontae Davis - Tim Jennings - Peanut as our 3 CBs

Byrd is fine too. I doubt SF let's their stud walk.

Vontae is a starting CB, he's not going to come here to sit the bench and he'd cost too much. Ideally you'd use a middle round pick 2-3-4 on a CB and let him play nickel and learn the outside positions.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If you resign Cutler, I don't see the point in drafting a QB. If you don't, then yeah, I can see it.

Agreed, if he gets a long term deal. You don't get a QB until next season, maybe the one after. You aren't going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that is going to sit for 3-4 years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed, if he gets a long term deal. You don't get a QB until next season, maybe the one after. You aren't going to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy that is going to sit for 3-4 years.

Yep, for sure. And not only that, but if you have more cap space, you're going to go heavy in free agency to fix the D. If you resign Cutler, you need to go heavy on the draft to fix the D in order to make everything fit. Of course, you can do both if you have that cap space and really assure that the D will be good next year.

That's why Emery is the boss of this team. He's going to have to pick a clear direction for this team this offseason and he is going to be the one that has to live with his decisions.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Vontae is a starting CB, he's not going to come here to sit the bench and he'd cost too much. Ideally you'd use a middle round pick 2-3-4 on a CB and let him play nickel and learn the outside positions.

I'm pretty skeptical of Timmy of late so that might be fueling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad