(Official) Around the NHL 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
True, but I am exclusively talking about their locker-room/leadership presence.

But I think a lot of Gio's presence on this team comes from the fact that he's in his prime and a completely dominant player. I mean, if you just look at a lot of the newer Flames' fans impressions of Iginla's leadership abilities, you can see that it was perceived to be a lot worse when he was a declining player (whereas in his prime he was considered one of the best captains in the league almost unanimously by hockey fans). I feel like the Sedins won't be able to match Gio's leadership if they continue to decline. That will need to start coming from others.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
But I think a lot of Gio's presence on this team comes from the fact that he's in his prime and a completely dominant player. I mean, if you just look at a lot of the newer Flames' fans impressions of Iginla's leadership abilities, you can see that it was perceived to be a lot worse when he was a declining player (whereas in his prime he was considered one of the best captains in the league almost unanimously by hockey fans). I feel like the Sedins won't be able to match Gio's leadership if they continue to decline. That will need to start coming from others.

You make a good point, I just think they would be ill advised to go the Oilers route and trade away every one of their veteran leaders.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You make a good point, I just think they would be ill advised to go the Oilers route and trade away every one of their veteran leaders.

True. I think the Sedins will finish their careers as Canucks and help with the culture. I do not think that they will be able to pull the team up out of the basement after the rebuild, though. I think that for that you're looking at Tanev, and maybe even by that time Horvat.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

The cap floor makes it impossible to trade away all vets. If they kept the Sedins, it would go a long way to reach the cap floor. If they dealt them, they would be basically cap dumps because of the amount of money they make. I guess it's best to explore all options and see what would set you up the best. But when you look around the league, I really can't see a single team that would pay good value to acquire 2 declining assets making that kind of dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille