OFFICIAL: Alex Meruelo Becomes Coyotes Majority Owner - Press Conference Thurs. 8/1, 1pm, @GRA

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Surely there's nobody left on forum 40 that actually gets their hopes up about this ****. Something always goes wrong at the last minute. You could sign this franchise over to Bill Gates himself and 24hrs later Microsoft will inexplicably go bankrupt.
Not even the Coyotes are THAT toxic :laugh:

Reactions: Edenjung

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, the City of Glendale did, to the tune of $50 million dollars in extortion money to the NHL and $30 million more in subsidies to IceArizona until they were able to renegotiate the deal thanks to LeBlanc and his buddies not doing the bare minimum to meet their obligations.

Barroway may be small potatoes but he is the only person in ten years (!) who has moved the Coyotes any closer to a long-term stay in the state. If nothing else, he gave us Ahron Cohen and John Chayka, who are two of the best people this cursed franchise have had in administration in a decade.
Those clowns approached the COG and the COG obliged. I guess all deserve credit. Anywho, the team is still here, will always be here and that is all I care about, but I must admit, losing for the majority of those years has taken it's toll on me. I don't enjoy the game nearly as much as I did 20 yrs. ago, but some of that is the way the game has changed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Team was moving back to Winnipeg had the city not agreed to the subsidy.
I think that was a bluff by the NHL. Who really knows. IF the NHL really wanted to move the Yotes, it would have been done years ago.

Reactions: Sushiko

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think that was a bluff by the NHL. Who really knows. IF the NHL really wanted to move the Yotes, it would have been done years ago.
The NHL has never wanted them to leave but they are never going to pay for them to stay either. If Glendale didn't pay they would have been gone.

Reactions: _Del_

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
On one hand I'd be happy because it'd mean, in theory, the Coyotes are staying and the end of relocation rumors. On the other hand I'd be beyond ****ing annoyed because Chandler makes no more sense than Glendale!

In my more insane moments, I wonder what would happen if the Coyotes left and the Phoenix metro area got two (!) AHL or ECHL franchises... one on the east side, and one on the west.

It'd be the most vicious rivalry in sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sushiko and _Del_

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Definitely wasn't a bluff. The NHL certainly didn't want to move the team (more because it would have been an admission that they failed to deal with Balsillie than anything else) but they would have, had Glendale not written their checks and had Sammy Chavira not swung his vote to IceArizona in the 11th hour.

Relocation is bad for the league's business. But at this stage, nobody can say that the league hasn't tried everything to make the team work here. I'm fairly nihilistic about our future prospects after ten years of this.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It wasn't just clown show because of the stuff with the COG... The biggest offence may have been part of the coup d'etat when Gary Drummond appointed himself as President of Hockey Operations despite having zero experience.

cropped_MaloneyFacepalm.gif

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It wasn't just clown show because of the stuff with the COG... The biggest offence may have been part of the coup d'etat when Gary Drummond appointed himself as President of Hockey Operations despite having zero experience.

Otherwise known as the Tippett Coup.

Reactions: RemoAZ

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
I was at friends house over the weekend who's pretty wealthy and well connected here in the Valley and he mentioned something about the owner of SLS Vegas buying the team. I had more than a few drinks in me by that time so I don't recall much else of the conversation.

Reactions: Edenjung

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I was at friends house over the weekend who's pretty wealthy and well connected here in the Valley and he mentioned something about the owner of SLS Vegas buying the team. I had more than a few drinks in me by that time so I don't recall much else of the conversation.

Alex Meruelo?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If that's the case, the owner of SLS Vegas is Alex Meruelo. Worth $2 billion (although one report said $14 billion). Previously tried to buy the Atlanta Hawks.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
BTW - 2019 marks the 10 year anniversary of the Jim Basillie/Moyes adventures.

How's Blackberry doing these days?

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Alex Meruelo?
This would be huge. 2B net worth. Fortune made in hospitality, entertainment and real-estate. Strong interest in Latino market. Splits time between Miami, Reno, LA and Las Vegas (none are in need of an NHL team). He was once in the running to buy the Atlanta Hawks. He seems tailor-made to be the Coyotes owner (pardon the tuxedo pun-his family business was tuxedos).

If he does buy the team, his previous Atlanta ties will start heavy rumors of an Atlanta relocation. Houston’s large Hispanic population will fuel rumors, too.

He seems to have the perfect blend of experience and wealth to get the Coyotes a new arena in the Phoenix-area, though. A real-estate tycoon and successful hotelier seems perfect. Especially one with pro sports and Latino community connections.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
This would be huge. 2B net worth. Fortune made in hospitality, entertainment and real-estate. Strong interest in Latino market. Splits time between Miami, Reno, LA and Las Vegas (none are in need of an NHL team). He was once in the running to buy the Atlanta Hawks. He seems tailor-made to be the Coyotes owner (pardon the tuxedo pun-his family business was tuxedos).

If he does buy the team, his previous Atlanta ties will start heavy rumors of an Atlanta relocation. Houston’s large Hispanic population will fuel rumors, too.

He seems to have the perfect blend of experience and wealth to get the Coyotes a new arena in the Phoenix-area, though. A real-estate tycoon and successful hotelier seems perfect. Especially one with pro sports and Latino community connections.

It was mentioned an arena off Rio Salado was the plan...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

It wasn’t a bluff. If the wire transfer had gone through 20 mins later than it did then The Coyotes were headed to Winnipeg.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Did you enjoy the hookers and blow?

If you did, you are forgiven.

"Sometimes I think I should have just stayed in Peru moving coke. Machado was a cold bastard, but he was good to his men. And once you drew blood for him, you were set. Hooch, blow, girls -- not women, girls. Little bitty things."

Principale Lewis
:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad