OFFICIAL: Alex Meruelo Becomes Coyotes Majority Owner - Press Conference Thurs. 8/1, 1pm, @GRA

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Anyone find a billionaire with a Coyotes sweat shirt on? I'm all for more resources but will take this seriously only after it is announced. Am already seeing stupid, stupid comments and tweets from all those who live on schadenfreude.

Bet ya the Shannon tweet was in response to the Jim Irsay rumor that popped up the other day. He called up the league and they told him exactly what he tweeted.

Morgan essentially confirmed what Shannon said.... but added some context.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Surely there's nobody left on forum 40 that actually gets their hopes up about this ****. Something always goes wrong at the last minute. You could sign this franchise over to Bill Gates himself and 24hrs later Microsoft will inexplicably go bankrupt.
That's about right. lol

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Forever grateful to Andrew "The Butcher" Barroway for cleaning up the clown show.
The clown show kept the team in Arizona. In all honestly, all of our owners have been clowns, including the NHL. We have not had a good owner. This market would explode with a stable owner that wants a winning team.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I appreciate the Ice Edge boys, the Barroway's and even Gary Betteman for their part in keeping the team here, long after any sane person would.

By the same token STFU until it is done and please no more half done deals. If I had a nickel for every time someone almost bought the Coyotes...…. I could buy the coyotes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Can't wait to read all the new posts from the east valley people shitting on the west valley, especially the ones that have pretended to have inside info about the team moving east for the last decade (keep claiming it and you might be right some day!). That's almost more fun than the Canadians claiming the team is moving to Canada.

It's like these announcements are spaced out purposely to keep west siders from getting season tickets. Just when you think, hmmm maybe I'll start going, BAM a post about a new owner that will have to have a new arena in the east valley to make the deal. Then you think well screw it, I'm not going to get into the team if I can't go to the games anymore. How much money have they pissed away from fans and corporate sponsors because they won't commit to Glendale? I'd bet the difference between losing money and making a profit. But then they wouldn't be the worst run team in the league and we can't let that happen.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The clown show kept the team in Arizona. In all honestly, all of our owners have been clowns, including the NHL. We have not had a good owner. This market would explode with a stable owner that wants a winning team.

The tax payers kept the team in Arizona more than anyone else. That's the west side tax payers because the east valley wouldn't pay for the Coyotes or the Cardinals.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Can't wait to read all the new posts from the east valley people ****ting on the west valley, especially the ones that have pretended to have inside info about the team moving east for the last decade (keep claiming it and you might be right some day!). That's almost more fun than the Canadians claiming the team is moving to Canada.

It's like these announcements are spaced out purposely to keep west siders from getting season tickets. Just when you think, hmmm maybe I'll start going, BAM a post about a new owner that will have to have a new arena in the east valley to make the deal. Then you think well screw it, I'm not going to get into the team if I can't go to the games anymore. How much money have they pissed away from fans and corporate sponsors because they won't commit to Glendale? I'd bet the difference between losing money and making a profit. But then they wouldn't be the worst run team in the league and we can't let that happen.
Let's try not to eat our own here. I will continue to be a season ticket holder whether they move more centrally or stay in Glendale. I wish the population pattern were different. I feel for the West Valley fans. I can only assume that the Coyotes execs and the NHL aren't stupid and they did their research on where the most potential ticket sales lie before they started their push for an East Valley home.

Reactions: MIG

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The clown show kept the team in Arizona.

No, the City of Glendale did, to the tune of $50 million dollars in extortion money to the NHL and $30 million more in subsidies to IceArizona until they were able to renegotiate the deal thanks to LeBlanc and his buddies not doing the bare minimum to meet their obligations.

Barroway may be small potatoes but he is the only person in ten years (!) who has moved the Coyotes any closer to a long-term stay in the state. If nothing else, he gave us Ahron Cohen and John Chayka, who are two of the best people this cursed franchise have had in administration in a decade.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The tax payers kept the team in Arizona more than anyone else. That's the west side tax payers because the east valley wouldn't pay for the Coyotes or the Cardinals.
True. Scottsdale had no faith in Ellman.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I can only assume that the Coyotes execs and the NHL aren't stupid and they did their research on where the most potential ticket sales lie before they started their push for an East Valley home.

There are certainly more hockey fans in the East Valley than the West Valley. But there aren't more Coyotes fans. And that's one of the biggest parts of this new arena gamble.

That said, I don't care any more about the east vs. west debate. It's an unsolvable OIMBY argument because everyone here is more territorial than... well, a pack of coyotes. As long as the Coyotes stay in Arizona, I'll be happy. If they move, I'll watch the Kachinas.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There are certainly more hockey fans in the East Valley than the West Valley. But there aren't more Coyotes fans. And that's one of the biggest parts of this new arena gamble.

That said, I don't care any more about the east vs. west debate. It's an unsolvable OIMBY argument because everyone here is more territorial than... well, a pack of coyotes. As long as the Coyotes stay in Arizona, I'll be happy. If they move, I'll watch the Kachinas.
There is more money in the East valley and more potential season ticket holders because of it, that is really what it is about. How many true hockey and/or coyote fans exist in different parts of the valley is an open question. Like you, I just want the team to stay in AZ and don't really care where they play.

Reactions: MIG and Bonsai Tree

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Wow! Can't believe we haven't mentioned that "quality owner" (cough, cough) Jerry Moyes in this thread...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Or remember that Buffalo Bisons huckster in California whose bid got laughed out of the NHL offices?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Surely there's nobody left on forum 40 that actually gets their hopes up about this ****. Something always goes wrong at the last minute. You could sign this franchise over to Bill Gates himself and 24hrs later Microsoft will inexplicably go bankrupt.
No bill just dies because he slipped on a banana peel.
And Melinda doesn't want the team ;D

At least their kids are all right people.
Down to earth people when you think their father is one of the richest people in the freaking world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad