OT: Official Adult Hockey League Talk, Pt. 2

MetropolisPt31

Feb 11, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
I almost subbed on the Jacks for this game.

Where did the guys come from that built this team? It's looking pretty obvious that DD isn't where they should be.
I don't really know. I should've at least looked at their previous seasons results before I joined. They were terrible last season, too. I guess my first inkling that no other goalie wanted to join the team was that the captain and I hadn't played together in 5+ years and he suddenly contacted me.

Wasn't Team Loco a CC team? I remember playing against them.
Yeah. This is Team Loco 2.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
I almost subbed on the Jacks for this game.

Where did the guys come from that built this team? It's looking pretty obvious that DD isn't where they should be.

DD has a few good teams in there with a bunch of C-CCC players on them. Unless the Jacks are really stacked, they won't dominate DD. Very competitive division among the top 6 teams.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
DD has a few good teams in there with a bunch of C-CCC players on them. Unless the Jacks are really stacked, they won't dominate DD. Very competitive division among the top 6 teams.

DD is a really fun division to play in. Good games almost every weekend. Except when your team doesn't have a goalie for half the game.

It looks like the CCCC division is going to be pretty competitive too. Last game we played against a team that had 3 A league players. They definitely weren't going all out, but it was a handful to deal with.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

Oh I know. The Jacks are a solid quad, no doubt, but DD has good teams. I'm just basing my question on their record and my friends comments after the whopping tool place.

Dr Acula

May 1, 2009
DD is a really fun division to play in. Good games almost every weekend. Except when your team doesn't have a goalie for half the game.

It looks like the CCCC division is going to be pretty competitive too. Last game we played against a team that had 3 A league players. They definitely weren't going all out, but it was a handful to deal with.

That's because half the teams in 4C was from the old D league. 3 of the 4 teams in that league can probably play in the B division.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
That's because half the teams in 4C was from the old D league. 3 of the 4 teams in that league can probably play in the B division.

The team I'm on used to be CCC, but got killed just about every night last season. We picked up some very solid players and should compete this year, but in the few games we have played this year it seems like the competition has actually increased from CCC to CCCC. The solid D teams would explain it.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011

And the other half is comprised of the bottom half of CCC, which got moved down after the Winter season, save for the Cudas who came from CC. No way any of those teams would be competitive in B unless they've added some ringers. They wouldn't even be very competitive with the top CCC teams during the Winter season when teams have their best players on the ice.

DD is a funky division, because it's so dependent upon which players show up, more so than the higher divisions that have more consistent talent levels on their teams.

Dr Acula

May 1, 2009
Our D team last season had six A league players, a handful of solid B and C level guys, and only a couple guys that are D level.

Dr Acula

May 1, 2009
Because D and E league games are usually scheduled on the weekend. A to C are usually on weeknights after 10 pm.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Our D team last season had six A league players, a handful of solid B and C level guys, and only a couple guys that are D level.

How did you manage that with the 3 division rule?

I'm not knocking on anyone and I only watched a few D games. And, honestly, I don't think there is that much difference from CC to DD, among the better teams, but A/B is much different and there is no way any team at the CC-DD level would beat a B team during the Winter. If your team has those types of players, you should have won every game. And you shouldn't still be at that level. Based on the scores and the competition so far this year, last year's D teams seem to be placed about right competively.

MetropolisPt31

Feb 11, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
After 6 games (including 2 preseason), my newest team has now been outscored 48-6 and outshot 269-65. Tyler finally had some mercy on us and will move us down to DDD.

It may not be enough.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Last night? I didn't play. I didn't feel like getting annihilated at 11:15PM.

Ahhh well you guys took a 1-0 lead early on. The 2nd period was your undoing. Looked like a lot of guys just got tired. My CCC team got destroyed in almost every game last year so I know the feeling. Are you guys moving down to DDD mid season?

MetropolisPt31

Feb 11, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Ahhh well you guys took a 1-0 lead early on. The 2nd period was your undoing. Looked like a lot of guys just got tired. My CCC team got destroyed in almost every game last year so I know the feeling. Are you guys moving down to DDD mid season?
In July, yes. We'll probably still get whupped but at least I'll be tending net in both DDD divisions. Clearly, there's no threat of both teams facing each other in the championship game. :D

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
Has anyone taken any of the adult hockey classes at sharks ice in SJ? I'm totally new to playing ice hockey but have been taking some skating classes and have gotten a bunch better (can do both forward and backward crossovers, front to backs etc..) but want to sign up for the upcoming hockey class. Is there a huge difference between the beginner and intermediate classes? If so what are the differences?

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Has anyone taken any of the adult hockey classes at sharks ice in SJ? I'm totally new to playing ice hockey but have been taking some skating classes and have gotten a bunch better (can do both forward and backward crossovers, front to backs etc..) but want to sign up for the upcoming hockey class. Is there a huge difference between the beginner and intermediate classes? If so what are the differences?

I've taken them all. I'm a product of the Sharks Ice hockey classes (playing now for 6 years!).

My friends took the classes a year ago as well, and I doubt they've changed much since then.

Beginner classes really put emphasis on learning to skate "properly". Now, don't think you're going to get individual attention or anything (you may), but they try to show you via drills n such how to do them right. I dont think you'll touch a puck until mid way through. Intermediate picks up where the beg class leaves off.

Although you say you can do the cross overs and transitions n such, I recommend you take the beginner class anyway. Its just more practice on some of the things you already know, plus you're going to get some good lessons on puck and stick handling mid way through.

The advanced class (at least as of a year ago) is pure crap. It (was) filled with old men and cocky russians who love taking shots during the drill briefings (they have no respect for the coach). The old men always vote to not scrimmage and would rather do drills they can barely do, which ruins your experience because most of them are passing/puck moving drills. Those are tough to do when you get a pass to to where you were 3 seconds ago or if you're lucky, to your feet (they rarely will lead you). I hope its changed, but I'm too afraid to find out.

SouthpawTRK

Sep 18, 2009
Northern California
I was curious to know if a player in the SIAHL that plays in DDDD can drop down to EEEE? Played against a team the other day that had a player that plays in DDDD and ended up scoring more than half of his team's goal.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I was curious to know if a player in the SIAHL that plays in DDDD can drop down to EEEE? Played against a team the other day that had a player that plays in DDDD and ended up scoring more than half of his team's goal.

I think the official rules say you have to play within 3 levels. So if he plays in 4D, the lowest level he should be able to play in EE. And Tyler sent an e-mail out a year ago saying he was going to try to strictly enforcing this at the E levels.

But nothing ever transpired with this, and they will rarely do anything. However, if a team complains and the stats help back up that the person is ringer, then they will act on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad