[Official] Adirondack Flames Thread [Version 2.1.0]

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
saying he is very inconsistent is over dramatic? :laugh:

I was referring more to

Yep, Sven is definitely the definition of inconsistency.
:facepalm: All I want is for this kid to string together a stretch of games that he had in Portland. I think Sven can be an NHL player, but until he can produce consistently, he will not.

but I do think the inconsistent label is outdated and expectations are still incredibly unrealistic. First, if he's playing like he was here in Calgary, then nitpicking at his point spread is asinine; the complaints about his game historically was that he had too many shifts where he was invisible, which isn't the case anymore. If can keep playing like he did with the big club, the points will come.

Second, again expectations are out whack. For one, plenty of NHLer's have carved careers out of being inconsistent. Raymond, as mentioned, is a fine example. Secondly, is 'consistency' defined as putting up a point in each and every game? Because no one, on any team, does that. A point every other game? Points in 4 out of 9 since being sent down; that's pretty close.

Lastly, I know Baertschi's fallen out of favour and therefore gets a negative spin on everything he does, but consider, Gaudreau has gone pointless in 17 of his 36 games played so far. Is he inconsistent as well? Glencross, pointless in 19 of his 37. Hudler, 12 of 36. And so on and so forth.

In reguards to people calling him inconsistent, or the ones thinking all is good since he had 1 big game?

Has anyone, anywhere actually said that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
but I do think the inconsistent label is outdated and expectations are still incredibly unrealistic. First, if he's playing like he was here in Calgary, then nitpicking at his point spread is asinine; the complaints about his game historically was that he had too many shifts where he was invisible, which isn't the case anymore. If can keep playing like he did with the big club, the points will come.

Second, again expectations are out whack. For one, plenty of NHLer's have carved careers out of being inconsistent. Raymond, as mentioned, is a fine example. Secondly, is 'consistency' defined as putting up a point in each and every game? Because no one, on any team, does that. A point every other game? Points in 4 out of 9 since being sent down; that's pretty close.

Lastly, I know Baertschi's fallen out of favour and therefore gets a negative spin on everything he does, but consider, Gaudreau has gone pointless in 17 of his 36 games played so far. Is he inconsistent as well? Glencross, pointless in 19 of his 37. Hudler, 12 of 36. And so on and so forth.
The inconsistent label is definitely not outdated, he disappears for large stretches even within his good games. To me that is more of the problem than his inconsistent production. You also can't just look at points in 'x' games, you have to look at the streaks within that. With Sven he will get points in 3 or 4 straight then not get a point for 2 weeks. If he had a point in every other game I would say he was fairly consistent.

I still think Baertschi has top 6 potential, maybe even first line potential. But the fact that after 19 games this year over half his points came in just 2 games has to at the very least raise a red flag.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well based on your post above you seem to think all is well?

You know there's more options than 'all is not well' and 'all is well' right?

Baertschi's progressing. Infer what you want from that.

The inconsistent label is definitely not outdated, he disappears for large stretches even within his good games. To me that is more of the problem than his inconsistent production. You also can't just look at points in 'x' games, you have to look at the streaks within that. With Sven he will get points in 3 or 4 straight then not get a point for 2 weeks. If he had a point in every other game I would say he was fairly consistent.

I still think Baertschi has top 6 potential, maybe even first line potential. But the fact that after 19 games this year over half his points came in just 2 games has to at the very least raise a red flag.

That's not really that uncommon. And given the AHL's schedule, that means a whole lot less. Everyone goes through stretches where they can't buy a point; it's a cold streak.

And the whole Adirondack team was struggling massively in the first month; that certainly makes things look worse then they actually are. Baertschi's stats since being sent down the second time are acceptable. It's a small sample size though; if he can keep it up for the rest of the season then there really shouldn't be any complaints.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
..and Poirier ties it up!

Baertschi and Wotherspoon with the assists. That Baertschi-Arnold-Poirier line has been fantastic since they've been put together.

Baertschi now a point per game in his last 17.

Edit: Flames lose. Ferland has been ice-cold lately; 0G, 3A in the 12 games since being sent down.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm so happy for Sven, for a player that thrives off of confidence you know he's feeling it right now. Nothing feels better than when the puck is going in the net. Despite our depth at wing, the Flames need scoring. I'm really interested to see if he can keep this up.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
he's only played 14 games since being sent down. He had 3 points in the 3 games prior to his recall. He sucked the first 7 games, like everyone else on the team.

Oh I see.

I'm very hopeful for Bart. It's kind of funny how little most Flames fans really know about normal development of top prospects. We just don't really have much experience with it. We're all learning here.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Oh I see.

I'm very hopeful for Bart. It's kind of funny how little most Flames fans really know about normal development of top prospects. We just don't really have much experience with it. We're all learning here.

The Flames experience previously, based on Iginla/Phaneuf: guy joins team at 19/20 and immediately makes significant impact. Proceeds to lead team in scoring for multiple seasons.

Isn't that how it always works? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad