Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
@Appleyard hey! I'm doing all of my research mainly for my fantasy draft, but I'm curious who you think projects to be a bonafide center in the first round. Also, thoughts on Dickinson v Buium

I'm stuck picking 3 and can't decide who I want haha

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard hey! I'm doing all of my research mainly for my fantasy draft, but I'm curious who you think projects to be a bonafide center in the first round. Also, thoughts on Dickinson v Buium

I'm stuck picking 3 and can't decide who I want haha

I think Catton is the 2nd best C in the draft and is likely to stick there given his skill-set. Lindstrom also projects as a C, and I like his game but I am less certain of his upside. Helenius has played C all year vs men, and done pretty well, but of those three he is most likely to kick out to wing. For me Hage and Boisvert are the only other "1st round level" Cs who are more likely that not to be Cs at a higher level. Connelly plays wing, Misa miiiight be able to play C at a higher level but plays all three positions.

I would personally take Buium if Buium vs Dickinson. I do think Dickinson can be a 1D... but I also think that if Buium "hits" he can be one of the most impactful 1Ds in the NHL. While Dickinson if he hits might "Only" be the ~10th best Dman in the league.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where do you see him realistically being taken?

One of those cases where... well... who knows.

He is having an insane end to the season in Mestis. I guess some teams have him in their top 100 as a result even though he is small... but ofc when it comes to goalies it is a bit different and a lot of teams have a separate board.

If I were the Flyers this season I would probably not think goalie until the 5th or so (unless one of Nabokov or Moysevich fall, as both have very high odds of playing NHL)... but if he was there in 5th depending who else is available? Definitely consider if there.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
One of those cases where... well... who knows.

He is having an insane end to the season in Mestis. I guess some teams have him in their top 100 as a result even though he is small... but ofc when it comes to goalies it is a bit different and a lot of teams have a separate board.

If I were the Flyers this season I would probably not think goalie until the 5th or so (unless one of Nabokov or Moysevich fall, as both have very high odds of playing NHL)... but if he was there in 5th depending who else is available? Definitely consider if there.
If only we had one less defenseman and a spare 4th round pick....

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I think Catton is the 2nd best C in the draft and is likely to stick there given his skill-set. Lindstrom also projects as a C, and I like his game but I am less certain of his upside. Helenius has played C all year vs men, and done pretty well, but of those three he is most likely to kick out to wing. For me Hage and Boisvert are the only other "1st round level" Cs who are more likely that not to be Cs at a higher level. Connelly plays wing, Misa miiiight be able to play C at a higher level but plays all three positions.

I would personally take Buium if Buium vs Dickinson. I do think Dickinson can be a 1D... but I also think that if Buium "hits" he can be one of the most impactful 1Ds in the NHL. While Dickinson if he hits might "Only" be the ~10th best Dman in the league.
I think I got Catton then.

I already have Jiricek, Simashev, Bonk, Forsmark, Reinbacher and Konyushkov in my "pipeline" and as far as forwards, I have Wright, Sale, Honzek and Lutz. Cotton seems to be the bigger need. I Also pick 15th and 30th in which I'll likely go Jiricek and Leterneau (unless Boisvert is available)

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Was hoping for months that he would be there when Flyers pick in the 2nd... but looking less and less likely.

Flyers have Florida’s first right? That is going to be a late first unless the get knocked out early

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Was hoping for months that he would be there when Flyers pick in the 2nd... but looking less and less likely.

Googled Yegor Surin, sounds like a Flyer kinda guy... Acc. to Grant McCagg: "Yegor Surin is one rugged comrade. The Russian heat-seeking missile is rivaled in this draft class only by hulking Swedish defenceman Gabriel Eliasson when it comes to physical competitiveness, and he is one of the hardest-hitting forward prospects I’ve ever scouted. It is appropriate that he plays for Yaroslav “Loko” as he is just that…but in a good way."

Surin Sure In Good Company

Reactions: Appleyard

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Flyers have Florida’s first right? That is going to be a late first unless the get knocked out early
That is a possibility. If the Flyers make it, they would play Carolina if they finish 3rd. If they drop into the WC, it will be as WC2 and likely play the Rangers. At WC2, they could play FLA if they finish ahead of Boston.

Would be the height of irony if the Flyers beat out the Panthers in Round 1 and that pick precedes their own.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad