Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Does anyone know what the deal is with Carolina holding the Flyers second from the TDA trade? Tankathon had the Flyers picking 51st at a compensatory pick for not signing O’Brian with Carolina holding the Flyers second wherever it fell. Today I see that the Flyers pick is now ahead of the compensatory pick and now Carolina has the Compensatory pick and the Flyers have their own pick. Is the deal that the Canes get the worst of the second rounders the Flyers may own or something like that?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Does anyone know what the deal is with Carolina holding the Flyers second from the TDA trade? Tankathon had the Flyers picking 51st at a compensatory pick for not signing O’Brian with Carolina holding the Flyers second wherever it fell. Today I see that the Flyers pick is now ahead of the compensatory pick and now Carolina has the Compensatory pick and the Flyers have their own pick. Is the deal that the Canes get the worst of the second rounders the Flyers may own or something like that?
Pretty sure they hold the Flyers 2nd round pick outright. The conditions were on the third rounder last year. Thanks Chuck.

Reactions: IronMarshal

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
dunno if this belongs in the draft thread, i think he's eligible to re-enter and theres no prospect thread for him on the prospect board, but has anyone been watching jordan keller since he was traded from saskatoon to kamloops? i havent watched him he was named player of the week, but he went from 8 points in 23 games with sask to 38 in 38 with kamloops. turns 19 on the trade deadline and from what i can see in clips hes got some pretty good quickness even if his stride can use some work, seems to have solid puck control and can execute while he's moving at speed but i havent watched his games

Reactions: BernieParent

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
dunno if this belongs in the draft thread, i think he's eligible to re-enter and theres no prospect thread for him on the prospect board, but has anyone been watching jordan keller since he was traded from saskatoon to kamloops? i havent watched him he was named player of the week, but he went from 8 points in 23 games with sask to 38 in 38 with kamloops. turns 19 on the trade deadline and from what i can see in clips hes got some pretty good quickness even if his stride can use some work, seems to have solid puck control and can execute while he's moving at speed but i havent watched his games
Haven't seen him but I'll keep an eye out for him when I watch Brunicke again. From the scoring profile alone, I wouldn't trust him.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Haven't seen him but I'll keep an eye out for him when I watch Brunicke again. From the scoring profile alone, I wouldn't trust him.
ya thats pretty much all im going on right now

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Without knowing anything about them, I’m open to the idea of Chernyshov or Artamonov. Get a countryman for Michkov to help him adapt. How are those two players?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well...

I think will the draft capital they have over next 2 years, they do have some flexibility, on paper.

In theory, value wise they could maybe just about package the #51 from JOB and their own 1st this year to get into the ~10-12 range (so long as pick ~14-17 and not 18-20...) and still keep their late 1st. Though odds are other GMs in that range say no and ask for the late 1st to overpay to get up there... only reason a GM would trade down from those spots is if missed their targets and they have a lot of guys in similar tier... possible... but with way this draft is shaping out maybe unlikely.

I am not one to usually advocate trading up... but I do think that the ~10-12 range is probably a bit of a "sweet spot" where there may well be ~1-2 guys with actual projectable "star" upside left... and where the Flyers will likely pick may have some interesting players, but will probably be either swing as hard as can and hope on upside kind of picks, or likely good 1st line wingers if hit but more ~TK level than out-and-out franchise guy.

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
If we are 17-18 oa, Igor Chemyshov if he’s around, is one guy we are looking at. All mocks have our 2nd first at 32. Vegas,Edmonton,Winnipeg, Van, Carolina disagree. I would like Charlie Elick with that pick.

Reactions: IronMarshal

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
With 8 picks in 1st and 2nd rounds in 2024 and 2025 really hope at least half oh this capital will be traded for young guys who already play in the NHL.
Really tired of this “WOW 4 1st in 2 years” and then another 4 years to read “Look, this guys scored 1488 points in Beer League, finally we took our next one”.

Bring real players here.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If just look at CHL class right now...

this draft has:

4 of the best 31 non-PP scorers of the last 20 years. (Catton, Greentree, Iginla, Parascek)
9 of the best 75 non-PP scorers of the last 20 years. (Lindstrom, Vanacker, Misa, Basha, Parekh)

Of course, prospects are in general scoring more now than 15 years ago... but this 2024 CHL crop is looking better than 2022 and close to 2023 (ofc just ignore Bedard aha) just stats wise.

The Euros in this class, overall, are pretty weak. Russia is probably the only one of the big nations with an above average draft class.

But I think the Canadian crop? Pretty damn strong and quite deep.
And the US based crop has a pretty nice top end and solid depth.

With 8 picks in 1st and 2nd rounds in 2024 and 2025 really hope at least half oh this capital will be traded for young guys who already play in the NHL.
Really tired of this “WOW 4 1st in 2 years” and then another 4 years to read “Look, this guys scored 1488 points in Beer League, finally we took our next one”.

Bring real players here.

The issue here is...

The Flyers could trade both their 1st rounders in this draft (likely ~#14 and ~#30) and the #51 pick... and it would be unlikely to net them a young guy (~u-25) who is close to being a 1C or a 1D and has a good chance of getting there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad