Speculation: Official 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My only concern in this is the lack of dialogue. Garland was still complaining about it months later. Took it personally.

The Crouse negotiations are probably something for us to pay very close attention to. I worry about BA as a contract negotiator. Might be too tough. Like he was as a coach before he learned his lesson. He's got the gumption for a slash and burn rebuild and holding other GM's feet to the fire. But does he have the soft touch needed not to alienate his own players?

Artful and strategic concessions are a key part in a healthy negotiation. Never bending an inch isn't a strength when it comes to contracts for your own guys. The Crouse test-case will be illuminating I think. The player wants to be here. The team wants him here. Everyone wants long term. This should NOT turn ugly. And it should NOT go to arbitration. If those things happen, we've got cause for concern.

There’s a lot we don’t yet know about BA due to the very unique nature of his early career here.
if you keep calling then it's perceived as weakness and you are desperate to deal. When I got into these situations in my negotiations every now and then I would remind the other party "my phone does dial in you know". This is just posturing and it's normal.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I find it suspect that these players were happier to stay on a team stuck in perpetual mediocrity than ti stick around for a proper rebuild. I'm salty. I hope we win a cup before anyone that wanted to leave does lol.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
if you keep calling then it's perceived as weakness and you are desperate to deal. When I got into these situations in my negotiations every now and then I would remind the other party "my phone does dial in you know". This is just posturing and it's normal.
Maybe, but with Garland it was crickets, and now again with Crouse, and we all know what happened with Garland. Maybe they are talking and Morgan is wrong, again. We could be jumping to conclusions here.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I find it suspect that these players were happier to stay on a team stuck in perpetual mediocrity than ti stick around for a proper rebuild. I'm salty. I hope we win a cup before anyone that wanted to leave does lol.
We may not win a cup this decade.:) The thing is, is this a proper rebuild? BA has never done it before, in fact I don't think any team has tore down a team to this extent. Many questions marks yet to be answered.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
@Jakey53

I say 'proper' rebuild because: A) For the first time the team has committed 100% and B) This rebuild is being carried out with the knowledge of what HAS worked for other teams. Of course there's no guarantee, but cant do much more. There's no guarantee that the player's wanting out don't end up on a future mediocre team or bottom feeder either.

I can't reply directly to posts. Whenever I do the cursor jumps around while I'm typing, it inserts spaces and lines and also adds my response to the quote box making my response look like part of their quote. I almost can't use this site on mobile anymore. Been like this for months.

Edit: looks like it's messing up even without me quoting lol. Sorry y'all

Last edited:

CoSi

Nov 15, 2021
@Jakey53

I say 'proper' rebuild because: A) For the first time the team has committed 100% and B) This rebuild is being carried out with the knowledge of what HAS worked for other teams. Of course there's no guarantee, but cant do much more. There's no guarantee that the player's wanting out don't end up on a future mediocre team or bottom feeder either.

I can't reply directly to posts. Whenever I do the cursor jumps around while I'm typing, it inserts spaces and lines and also adds my response to the quote box making my response look like part of their quote. I almost can't use this site on mobile anymore. Been like this for months.

Edit: looks like it's messing up even without me quoting lol. Sorry y'all
This might be the longest post on this website

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Isn't that the truth? And we have some posters eyeing Lord Stanley's cup in 3-5 years. :huh:
The same delusional people that think tanking is a panacea. All you have to do is be bad enough for long enough and then you'll be good.

We're already seeing in this discussion the seeds of its failure - the possibility of doing great on the 'be bad' part but then not being able to keep your better players around....and then staring another 8-10 year no-playoff streak in the face.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
August 8th.
AKA - a week from Monday. Haha.

The same delusional people that think tanking is a panacea. All you have to do is be bad enough for long enough and then you'll be good.

We're already seeing in this discussion the seeds of its failure - the possibility of doing great on the 'be bad' part but then not being able to keep your better players around....and then staring another 8-10 year no-playoff streak in the face.
It would be wise to keep Crouse and to mend fences with Chychrun. Hopefully we get Bedard, but if our plan is to add him and Cooley and Guenther and Geekie all in the next 15 months, they’re going to need the likes of Keller, Crouse, Schmaltz, and Chychrun around to shelter, insulate, and guide them. Otherwise we turn into the oilers.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Can we offer him 1yr, 8mil and a promise to send him whenever he wants with max retention at the deadline?

Just so as to raise Chychrun’s trade value, making him the last available blueliner of note?

:)

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I found our new first pairing…

Armstrong’s new intern

E44D9098-E54F-48EE-9378-0146F260F8B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
In my experience last minute deals seldom work for both parties. You think they would be looking for a win win right now.

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Better yet, sign him for 2 or 3 years at a slightly elevated value. Then flip him at the deadline with enough retained to make him more than a rental and extract an even better return.
Can we offer him 1yr, 8mil and a promise to send him whenever he wants with max retention at the deadline?

Just so as to raise Chychrun’s trade value, making him the last available blueliner of note?

:)

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
AKA - a week from Monday. Haha.

It would be wise to keep Crouse and to mend fences with Chychrun. Hopefully we get Bedard, but if our plan is to add him and Cooley and Guenther and Geekie all in the next 15 months, they’re going to need the likes of Keller, Crouse, Schmaltz, and Chychrun around to shelter, insulate, and guide them. Otherwise we turn into the oilers.
We are looking more like Buffalo

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In my experience last minute deals seldom work for both parties. You think they would be looking for a win win right now.
The same deal available today will be available in a week. They could get this done now no question. Sometimes this is just how it plays out.

Reactions: Mangosteen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad