Speculation: Official 2022 Coyotes Off Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There are still too many teams that need to make some cap moves and we're one of the only buyers of cap. We need to be using our cap space this summer to maximum advantage. I think we can get another '23 2nd round pick and more while keeping Crouse long-term.

#1. Keep Crouse - $4.75M X 5 years - I want him riding shotgun on Bedard/Michkov's wing through their ELC.

Plan on trading Ghost @50% at the deadline and try to recoup another '23 2nd.

Use the multiple 2nd's at the draft to try and trade up into the mid-first or just let the scouts go hog wild in the 2nd round.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Pick:
1. Re-sign Crouse to a 4x5yr contract or something similar (obviously not 3x5yr or 6x2yr, make up something reasonable in your mind)

2. Trade Crouse's RFA right (can't see him doing a sign and trade) for a 1st that is going to be in that 16-32 range (aka a clear favorite to make the playoffs TOR/FLA/CAR). That 1st is top 10 protected as well.

Use the new roster space to take on a dump like Bailey for more draft capital/prospects. The bigger the dump the better the return.

Essentially keep Crouse to a "fair" contract that would keep him here for years or recoup two late 1sts in value.

I know I was complaining about this Crouse situation last night but if this is the plan I could turn my opinion around. Maybe BA is waiting for that dump to come in before moving Crouse (aka NYI would trade a 1st for Crouse but would also trade a 1st for taking on Bailey so BA is waiting for some dominos to fall).
It all depends if he wants to be here....if not...move him....when the right offer comes along.

Everyone seems to focus on the Garland negotiations (lack thereof), Chychrun (who knows the real story? ), and now Crouse (too early to tell).

The Dvorak trade took awhile... and after all was said and done BA thanked him for being a professional through it all, and no "messages" from Dvorak....of course we know Dvo isn't human and is a robot.

I suspect at the time (the first draft he could participate in coming up/assembling scouting/coaches/etc), BA had a lot on his plate, much more than just deciding what to do with Garland. Also, As a GM I'm sure there's a time when using the media can help facilitate a better trade and times when you don't want media involved. Agents can be Dicks and sabotage trade returns. I don't blame Garland at all. As for BA, you could argue he did Garland a favor by trading him to a what should have been a better team in a nice Hockey market, and getting Garland a great contract he wasn't going to get from AZ....sometimes business sucks....but it's not always an individuals fault.

I hope Crouse gets whatever he wants. He's been a model Coyote.....as long as he doesn't force his way out with dickish contract demands (Hello Turdis).

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Then again, I think a single 1st for Crouse is a bit light. Hagel is younger and cheaper. So two prospects and two firsts that he got might not be a reasonable ask for Crouse. But Crouse is better and also young. At the very least it should be a 1st and a 2nd.

And if Lou really has Kadri on hold, maybe we can squeeze a 3rd out of him to go with the 2nd.

Bailey, a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd or Crouse? That’s suddenly kinda tough.
As a Coyotes fan I hope you are right.

As a Jets fan, they better stay far away if that is the cost.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Wonder if we could combine those and do Wahlstrom, Bailey, and the ‘23 NYI 1st for Crouse. Wahlstrom is 3yrs younger but is an RFA and likely to get Kakko money. Not sure if that saves the Isles enough cap for Kadri or not. But adding Kadri, Crouse and Romanov in one off season certainly makes a statement about getting better and harder to play against.
I don't see the money working out if Crouse goes to NYI. We'd need to take on an additional dump, I'd almost argue we need to expand the deal to include Prosvetov for Varlamov.

Crouse and Prosvetov for Varlamov, Bailey, Wahlstrom, and a 2023 1st (top 10 protected, becomes a 2023 3rd and 2024 1st if top 10).

Or...

Crouse and Prosvetov for Varlamov, Beauvillier, Bailey, and 2023 1st (top 5 protected, becomes a 2023 2nd and 2024 1st if top 5).

I dono, something like that seems more like the deal we'd see.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
The cap is going up substantially. I think they said as early as next year or the year after. Crouse can play up and down the line up, is big, can skate, is young, a good team mate, and is home grown. He, like Chychrun are the kinds of players you build around. I just don't get why this signing should be a problem. I guess we will find out in a few days.
In a recession? Highly doubt it and things don't look any better in the long run.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Perhaps we're waiting until the 8th to sign and retain part of Crouse's contract as part of a trade. Given the number of teams with cap restraints, it could certainly create more opportunity. If we end up signing the arbitration contract it will only be 1 or 2 seasons of retention.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Perhaps we're waiting until the 8th to sign and retain part of Crouse's contract as part of a trade. Given the number of teams with cap restraints, it could certainly create more opportunity. If we end up signing the arbitration contract it will only be 1 or 2 seasons of retention.
I don't think you can trade a player for a year after arbitration ruling.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Wonder if we could combine those and do Wahlstrom, Bailey, and the ‘23 NYI 1st for Crouse. Wahlstrom is 3yrs younger but is an RFA and likely to get Kakko money. Not sure if that saves the Isles enough cap for Kadri or not. But adding Kadri, Crouse and Romanov in one off season certainly makes a statement about getting better and harder to play against.
Bailey is a frustrating player who's outlived his usefulness as an Islander....he's a bit like Kessel in that numbers are okay but he adds very little value. Coyotes should get more than 1 2nd....maybe one of the Islander D prospects like Bolduc who has size....if they take on that contract.

The Islanders need a sniper more than a Crouse given they have decent size in their forward group but lack goal-scorers. Wahlstrom spent much time in/out of Trotz' doghouse....he could really flourish under Lambert, no way I see the Islanders moving him.

The value of an Islander trade is that Lou is more likely to give up a 2023 1st than probably more than any other GM. But for Crouse I think the offer would be Bailey, Beau and one of the D prospects.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not sure that's true unless it recently changed, I remember Joel Edmundon went through arbitration back in 2019 after the STL cup run. He was awarded 3.1 million then traded to Carolina the following month.
I think I'm mixing it up with matching an offer sheet. My apologies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There are still too many teams that need to make some cap moves and we're one of the only buyers of cap. We need to be using our cap space this summer to maximum advantage. I think we can get another '23 2nd round pick and more while keeping Crouse long-term.

#1. Keep Crouse - $4.75M X 5 years - I want him riding shotgun on Bedard/Michkov's wing through their ELC.

Plan on trading Ghost @50% at the deadline and try to recoup another '23 2nd.

Use the multiple 2nd's at the draft to try and trade up into the mid-first or just let the scouts go hog wild in the 2nd round.
I don't care about Ghost but we need to stop getting rid of garland/DVO/Bunting/Crouse/Chych, all our young players that have shown promise in the NHL already.. Its not even a rebuild at that point.

Reactions: zerekstar

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Max trade value is attained by having control. Teams don't want to give up premium assets for next to no control. They'd do it for a 5-7 year deal on reasonable AAV for Crouse.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't care about Ghost but we need to stop getting rid of garland/DVO/Bunting/Crouse/Chych, all our young players that have shown promise in the NHL already.. Its not even a rebuild at that point.
Still a tear down at this point really. Just adding ammo right now. The building phase where we start seeing if all that talent is worth a damn starts after next year. Might see a young player or two this season but hopefully none of the high picks while they still are dreadful. I'm convinced Armstrong's plan was based on bottoming out for the '23 draft and bouncing up hard from there. Everything he's doing looks that way. Or maybe hoping for a dead cat bounce is just wishful thinking on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad