Official 2016 WJC Thread Part II

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Canada nearly losing to the Swiss has pretty much become a fixture for this tournament. In the end though no matter how bad Canada plays their talent always wins out.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
5v5 and 4v4 is one thing, but the biggest kick in the nuts is he gets one maybe two PP shifts a game. It's incredible the logic being used in these decisions.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Canada nearly losing to the Swiss has pretty much become a fixture for this tournament. In the end though no matter how bad Canada plays their talent always wins out.

Really? I can't recall exactly, but I think Canada won something like 20 straight against Switzerland in regulation at this tournament. I know they have given the senior team trouble, but I think Canada has been pretty dominant against Switzerland at the WJHC.

Probably was brought up on the broadcast, but I didn't get to watch the game today.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Just got done watching this one... and yikes! Good luck to HC in the future if this is the level of coaching they're going to employ. They no longer have far and away the most talent at these things, and the pet projects are starting to cost them.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Weren't we talking about who is the top D-Man in the Team Canada D?

I think it's either Sanheim or Fleury with the advantage to Fleury.
We were talking NHL potential. And I've seen Sanheim dominate Fleury's Red Deer team too many times to agree that Fleury has the edge. Doesn't make enough plays with the puck. Doesn't have the same vision. He may never play on an NHL power play.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
This is where i'm at, especially since i'm not a fan of Team Canada.

Sanheim and Konecny will still be great Flyers in due time. I feel a little bad for them but at the same time I love watching terrible coaches fail.

I would be pissed if I was a fan of Team Canada though.

I suppose this is why im not a raging lunatic about this. I'm not rooting for Canada, so it doesn't pain me that they're being misused.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I actually like that Sanheim is getting screwed over. I can't imagine a bigger motivator going forward. Tom Brady til this day mentions being taken in the 6th round and how many quarterbacks were taken ahead of him. When you get marginalized on a national stage like this, Sanheim has to be pissed. If he uses it, watch out NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Im watching the Swiss-Canada game on DVR now. Sanheim had a 2 minute shift with around 8 minutes left in the 1st where he made 5 good plays.

Cant believe the Bruins passed on Barzal 3 straight times. That will be laughed at for the next decade plus.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I actually like that Sanheim is getting screwed over. I can't imagine a bigger motivator going forward. Tom Brady til this day mentions being taken in the 6th round and how many quarterbacks were taken ahead of him. When you get marginalized on a national stage like this, Sanheim has to be pissed. If he uses it, watch out NHL.

I hope Hextall sends him a message about using it as motivation.

Not that he needs it though. You can see he is trying to make things happen but is not being rewarded for it.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Someone put up a Sanheim vs Hicketts poll on the main board. This could get ugly.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park

I was thinking this too. Sanheim is a kid who has to earn everything in his career. Late WHL draft pick, works his way up from bottom pair minutes to nearly a ppg for his last 25 games. Gets taken by the Flyers. Burns down the WHL. Comes in this year doing the same thing, but now he's being used sparingly for team Canada. If Lowry is actually a good coach, we might see Sanheim unleashed in the next game or two and never look back. But he'll probably just give the minutes to Hicketts instead.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its very clear Lowry is not a good coach and it extends beyond his pro-Hicketts, anti-Sanheim agenda.

I wouldnt expect anything to change.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Poll is now closed....23-0 for Sanheim.

Not surprising. One guy is 5'8" 175 lbs. while the other is 6'4" 198 lbs. on that alone people would side with Sanheim.

Hicketts has defied odds to this point in his career with his accomplishments but the odds are still seriously stacked against him in carving out a meaningful NHL career. It's really hard to play on the backend in the NHL with that lack of size.

Last edited:

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Someone put up a Sanheim vs Hicketts poll on the main board. This could get ugly.

Yeah that was me, I was pretty angry still after the game and reading the Canada roster thread and seeing people actually saying Hickets is better than Sanheim put me over the edge lol
Poll went pretty much how I expected. I REALLY hope Lowry pulls his head out of Hickets' *** soon.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Leafs fans call Nylander "King Joffrey"? OMG :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Every single one of them is an utter mentalist. Every one. The people of Toronto are the nicest and most polite bunch I have ever been around, but the Leafs fans are really way, way around the bend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad