Official 2016 WJC Thread Part II

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He won't be available that late, but definitely pick him if given the chance.

With how good the top end of the draft is I think it is quite possible he is there around that slot!

In terms of who will go where I feel:

#1: Matthews

#2-5: Puljujarvi, Laine, Chychrun, Tkachuk

are almost certainly top 5... and all go by 6 at worst.

Then Nylander, McLeod, Dubois, Gauthier, Sergachyov, Keller, Fabbro and one or two others will compete with Juolevi for top 10 spots... I mean, in my mind Nylander and Juolevi are top of those guys atm in regards to the 6-7 spots... but I think there is a semi decent chance Juolevi is there at #8.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
It's not. Sometimes, the other guy just makes a better play.

I don't think that's what he was trying to say (could be wrong though). Provorov just tied his guy up and lost an edge. The guy he was on wasn't the one that scored though.

Not sure why people seem to think he stopped the goalie from sliding across, IMO he nicked him on the way by but the goalie just way overcommitted and couldn't get back. Had nothing to do with Provorov. The short side defenseman got deeked and then the goalie overcommitted, that's it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think that's what he was trying to say (could be wrong though). Provorov just tied his guy up and lost an edge. The guy he was on wasn't the one that scored though.

Not sure why people seem to think he stopped the goalie from sliding across, IMO he nicked him on the way by but the goalie just way overcommitted and couldn't get back. Had nothing to do with Provorov. The short side defenseman got deeked and then the goalie overcommitted, that's it.

It appeared Provorov's skate got caught on the goalie's pad which briefly slowed him up. Still don't think he would have gotten there. Kind of a busted play all around.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
With how good the top end of the draft is I think it is quite possible he is there around that slot!

In terms of who will go where I feel:

#1: Matthews

#2-5: Puljujarvi, Laine, Chychrun, Tkachuk

are almost certainly top 5... and all go by 6 at worst.

Then Nylander, McLeod, Dubois, Gauthier, Sergachyov, Keller, Fabbro and one or two others will compete with Juolevi for top 10 spots... I mean, in my mind Nylander and Juolevi are top of those guys atm in regards to the 6-7 spots... but I think there is a semi decent chance Juolevi is there at #8.

So the question is do you take him if he is there? IMO they should. After this tournament, which is a small sample size, he looks special while the forwards available at 8 don't seem to have that same upside IMO and would essentially be drafting for need. Drafting for need in the top 10 is a very bad idea.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Always take the better talent. They don't have the luxury of drafting for need at this point. And even teams that do would be stupid to nor take the best player available.

The NHL is getting so much closer to the NFL at the draft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Bragin is a really good coach. Shallow up front (by Russian standards), a bunch of 2nd tier CHL defensemen, a 1st round goalie on his bench, and they had a chance to win gold in the end. That Fazleev guy also went from the outside looking in at a roster spot, to playing a pretty key role on the team by the end of the tournament.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Always take the better talent. They don't have the luxury of drafting for need at this point. And even teams that do would be stupid to nor take the best player available.

The NHL is getting so much closer to the NFL at the draft.

It's not just the draft, it's almost becoming a parallel operation under the hard cap. Great players are locked up young and are only moved when their salary exceeds their production. Free agency is pretty dead full of 2nd tier talent getting 1st tier money. The smart teams stay away and make bargain signings after the rush. Young drafted talent is king. Soon NHL teams will be a less likely to part with 1st Rd picks like in the NFL. The only real difference now is that you are stuck with your mistakes a lot longer in the NHL where you can cut bait a lot easier in the NFL.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So, can someone do a scoresheet for our prospects at the WJC? A brief rundown and score for those of us who can't see the games

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So, can someone do a scoresheet for our prospects at the WJC? A brief rundown and score for those of us who can't see the games

Gold - Finland
Silver - Russia
Bronze - USA

Finland won 4-3 in OT over Russia in the gold medal game. USA won 8-3 over Sweden in the bronze medal game.

Provorov - 7GP 0G 8A 8PTS +2
Lindblom - 7GP 3G 3A 6PTS +1
Fazleev - 7GP 1G 2A 3PTS +3
Konecny - 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS -1
Sanheim - 5GP 0G 1A 1PTS 0
Kase - 5GP 0G 1A 1PTS +1
Sandstrom - 2GP 1-1 .750SV% 3.88GAA 1SO

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gold - Finland
Silver - Russia
Bronze - USA

Finland won 4-3 in OT over Russia in the gold medal game. USA won 8-3 over Sweden in the bronze medal game.

Kase - 5GP 0G 1A 1PTS +1

The IIHF are however incorrect in regards to Fazleev's total... they still have the OT winner vs Denmark as not being his 2nd assist and someone elses.

1G, 3A, 4P was his actual stat-line.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Gold - Finland
Silver - Russia
Bronze - USA

Kase - 5GP 0G 1A 1PTS +1

Thanks man, but I meant more a breakdown of how they played. Provorov had a blinder!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thanks man, but I meant more a breakdown of how they played. Provorov had a blinder!

I should have one published later today, I will post it when it is.

EDIT: Well... I fully intended to... but the Vinny trade means it will probably be tomorrow... as I am going to celebrate!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad