Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatpuppet42

May 14, 2015
As of today, w/o a top 3 lottery win, we are looking at position 5-8 which puts us in tkachuk, chychrun, nylander, gauthier, joulevi territory.

I think we are destined to get either a right hand shot forward (laine, pulujajarvi, nylander, gauthier) to play with our three left shot top core forwards or a left shot dman (chychrun, juolevi) to play with Hamilton.

Or we win lottery and Bennett becomes a left winger immediately.

I agree right hand shot power forward should be the first pick.
Now it depends where we will pick/who is left on the board my guess is Gauthier

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
As of today, w/o a top 3 lottery win, we are looking at position 5-8 which puts us in tkachuk, chychrun, nylander, gauthier, joulevi territory.

I think we are destined to get either a right hand shot forward (laine, pulujajarvi, nylander, gauthier) to play with our three left shot top core forwards or a left shot dman (chychrun, juolevi) to play with Hamilton.

Or we win lottery and Bennett becomes a left winger immediately.

Assuming 5-8th pick, I'd prefer Tkachuk or Nylander, personally. I don't think Gauthier has the same kind of ceiling as those guys.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Assuming 5-8th pick, I'd prefer Tkachuk or Nylander, personally. I don't think Gauthier has the same kind of ceiling as those guys.

Gauthier is a monster. He's like Mantha with good English, work ethic and a 200 ft game. He would be a huge add for our team IMO.
The draft is pretty deep fir non playoff teams. I haven't really followed this draft outside of the WJC which I watch religiously every year.
My rankings would be:

1. Matthews
2. Pulujaarvi- to me he's the best player in the draft based on the WJC. But I don't think judging players solely on one tourney is very wise. It
It reminds me of 2013 when Seth Jones had a great tourney, Mackinnon was meh, yet Mackinnon was better game in game out for Halifax then Jones was for Portland and was the first guy picked.
3. Laine
4. Nylander
5. Tkachuk- forgot him the first time
6. Chychrun
7. Gauthier
8. Julolevi

Haven't seen a lot of the CHL guys yet though. Other then Chychrun who is really impressive. Dubois, McLeod are both pretty interesting too.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we get Gauthier, I'm gonna cry. He's exactly what we need, and I love his attitude. He's a guy Hartley would fall in love with.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we get Gauthier, I'm gonna cry. He's exactly what we need, and I love his attitude. He's a guy Hartley would fall in love with.

If Gauthier = Matthews then I agree :naughty:

This team needs one more top level offensive talent. Right now Calgary sits in the position to draft Matthew Tkachuk. I think this Florida game is fairly important; no matter how you cut it, we're a bottom 5 team late in this season... We cannot keep losing and banking on a weak Pacific.

If this team doesn't string together a few wins, it's time to start thinking about 2016/2017. Any of the top 5 would make this team significantly better.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Just did the draft lottery simulator 10x where we sit 6th with 7.5% odds that increase as each top 3 spot is filled.

We only got drawn once in ten tries and that was 3rd overall.

That sucked.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Just did the draft lottery simulator 10x where we sit 6th with 7.5% odds that increase as each top 3 spot is filled.

We only got drawn once in ten tries and that was 3rd overall.

That sucked.

That might've sucked, but you actually beat the odds. lol

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Top Prospects game tonight. Lots of players playing that are in the Flames wheelhouse. 7 pm mountain

Nylander, Dubois, Sergachev, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Julolevi are the guys I'm going to pay attention to most.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Gauthier is a monster. He's like Mantha with good English, work ethic and a 200 ft game. He would be a huge add for our team IMO.
The draft is pretty deep fir non playoff teams. I haven't really followed this draft outside of the WJC which I watch religiously every year.
My rankings would be:

1. Matthews
2. Pulujaarvi- to me he's the best player in the draft based on the WJC. But I don't think judging players solely on one tourney is very wise. It
It reminds me of 2013 when Seth Jones had a great tourney, Mackinnon was meh, yet Mackinnon was better game in game out for Halifax then Jones was for Portland and was the first guy picked.
3. Laine
4. Nylander
5. Tkachuk- forgot him the first time
6. Chychrun
7. Gauthier
8. Julolevi

Haven't seen a lot of the CHL guys yet though. Other then Chychrun who is really impressive. Dubois, McLeod are both pretty interesting too.

Julovei i think may turn out to be the best d man in this draft class. Your forward list is bang on.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If/When the Flames miss out on the top tier talent (Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine), I'm hoping they pick Dubois. Nylander would be also be acceptable.

On an unrelated note, Kyle Conner is having a fantastic draft+1 season. On the one hand, it's great that Boston passed on him. On the other, why did Winnipeg have to take him.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Did the draft simulator, flames won 1st 3 times and 2nd twice ;) not bad.

On a serious note, time to brush up on prospects.. *sigh*

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If/When the Flames miss out on the top tier talent (Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine), I'm hoping they pick Dubois. Nylander would be also be acceptable.

On an unrelated note, Kyle Conner is having a fantastic draft+1 season. On the one hand, it's great that Boston passed on him. On the other, why did Winnipeg have to take him.

But he didn't even make the USA WJ team. Colin White, who we were rumoured to be really interested in is having a huge season at BC.

I hope we draft Dubois too. He has it all size, speed, strength, a high motor. Plus I think he started the season at a PPG and has been 2 ppg since the 25 game mark. I could even see him going before Tkachuk.

I was big on Nylander after the WJC, but he never seems to do antythibg 5 on 5. I have a hard time choosing between him and Gauthier. Both are going to score a lot, but both have pretty large holes in their game.
I also really liked Brown, he would be a great late first round pick IMO.

1. Matthews
2. Pulju
3. Laine
4. Dubois (I know it sounds crazy to put him here above Tkachuk. I just love his skillset. I think he would look amazing with Bennett.)
5. Tkachuk
6. Gauthier
7. Nylander
8. McLeod

As for D, it's too hard to get a good read on them with only a few viewings. I really think if we were to pick a D, it would be Sergachev. He is gritty and I feel that we need that. Those 3 D are all pretty equal they just bring different elements. But Sergachev is that all around, physical, two-way D-man.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
But he didn't even make the USA WJ team. Colin White, who we were rumoured to be really interested in is having a huge season at BC.

I hope we draft Dubois too. He has it all size, speed, strength, a high motor. Plus I think he started the season at a PPG and has been 2 ppg since the 25 game mark. I could even see him going before Tkachuk.

I was big on Nylander after the WJC, but he never seems to do antythibg 5 on 5. I have a hard time choosing between him and Gauthier. Both are going to score a lot, but both have pretty large holes in their game.
I also really liked Brown, he would be a great late first round pick IMO.

1. Matthews
2. Pulju
3. Laine
4. Dubois (I know it sounds crazy to put him here above Tkachuk. I just love his skillset. I think he would look amazing with Bennett.)
5. Tkachuk
6. Gauthier
7. Nylander
8. McLeod

As for D, it's too hard to get a good read on them with only a few viewings. I really think if we were to pick a D, it would be Sergachev. He is gritty and I feel that we need that. Those 3 D are all pretty equal they just bring different elements. But Sergachev is that all around, physical, two-way D-man.

Agree with this. Juolevi (sp?) is super slick and is going to be a really good offensive d-man but not sure if we need more of that. Debating best player between those two is tough but I think I'd prefer Sergachev. It was good to see his recovery from a couple of puck bobbles. No one could beat him back to the puck and they had a really hard time getting by him regardless of the situation.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I admit I havent watched Laine and Pulju outside WJC this year. I was really excited about Pulju during WJC but I just have this feeling that Laine will eventually be a better player, and would be a better fit for the Flames.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We need a gritty F with size. Outside of the top 3, I'm happy with any of tkachuk, Gauthier, Dubois.
Logan I think goes about 20th

I'd love to be able to snag another late 1st/2nd by moving a few players soon.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I want Laine but I have a feeling that we'll win just enough games to not get a decent player.

We'll see. Flames have a very heavy schedule coming up, missing Wideman for most of it, and possibly missing Brodie for some time as well. That's not a recipe for getting out of the basement.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I feel we will end up picking 5 to 7 in absence of top 3 lottery pick.

I just don't see us at #4 for some reason. I know some down on Chychrun but I think he's going to be really, really good but I don't think we get a crack at him.

Gio-Brodie
Chychrun-Hamilton
Kylington-Andersson

2017-18 starting lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad