The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
2014_NHL_Draft.png

nhl_entry_draft-e1371000607440.jpg

Daly_lotteryballs_672x412a.jpg

529148_1435374523786.jpg

PAKS141_NHL_Draft_Hockey.JPG

This is not a tank thread. Please use for player discussion for the upcoming 2016 NHL Draft.

Please share any thoughts, scouting reports or video highlights on any players eligible for next years draft.

Below is the first edition of Bob MacKenzie's draft rankings here. I will update accordingly throughout the season.

1. Austin Mathews (C)
2. Jakob Chychrun (D)
3. Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
4. Patrik Laine (LW)
5. Mathew Tkachuk (LW)
6. Alex Nylander (RW)
7. Mike McLeod (C)
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW)
9. Kale Clague (D)
10. Max Jones (LW)
11. Julien Gauthier (RW)
12. Dmitri Sokolov (C)
13. Olli Juolevi (D)
14. Tyler Benson (LW)
15. Mikhail Sergachyov (D)

Honourable Mentions:

Kieffer Bellows (C)
Logan Brown (C)
Dillon Dube (LW)
Dante Fabbro (D)
Tyson Jost (RW)
Sam Steel (C)

Last edited:

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I like the idea of Julien Gauthier playing RW in the future alongside Gaudreau. Looks like a pure goal-scorer, I mean the guy has 15G and 1A this season :laugh:

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
There was a kid at my high school named Blade Steele and I always thought that was pretty neat.

That said, I'd be ecstatic if we get a top 5 pick because then we'll get an awesome player. Also, DeBrincat seems interesting and so does Sean Day. If we get a late first round pick at the deadline or something I think those two would be nice options. Also like Bean but he's likely a high to mid round pick it seems

Although some scouts say Day shouldn't even be drafted so theres that

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't know much, but how sick of a name is Sam Steel?

It's a pretty awesome name, although I do think his name is very boom/bust.

re: Day: I don't like what I've heard about Day since he's been in the OHL. Sounds like he's completely devoid of hockey sense.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bob McKenzie had a piece on Sean Day recently:
Sean Day was granted "exceptional" status – following in the footsteps of John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid – to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old.

Now that it's his NHL draft year – Day turns 18 on Jan. 9 – Day has been afforded "exceptionally interesting" status by the scouts who turn out in droves to watch him and his (draft eligible) talent-laden Mississauga Steelheads team.

"I'd like to get all the scouts in one room and hear what they have to say about (Day) because I really think you would get everything from A to Z on this kid," an NHL team head scout said. "He's the most interesting prospect we've seen in a long time."

What's become clear is that in Day's case, the "exceptional" status bestowed on him has effectively expired. That is, in this instance, as opposed to those of Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid, Day isn't going to be first overall in his NHL draft year. He wasn't even first overall – he went fourth to Mississauga – in his OHL draft year.

Mind you, as the young man himself has noted, the technical definition of "exceptional" is whether a 15 year old is suited to play junior hockey a year earlier than normal. Day accomplished that. He's not going to fare well in comparisons to NHL No. 1 overall picks Tavares, Ekblad and McDavid, who have continued to be exceptional in every sense of the word.

Fair enough, but the 6-foot-3, 230-pound (that's his height and weight from the Steelheads' website) defenceman remains exceptionally interesting.

He showed up to Hockey Canada's Under-18 camp this past summer weighing 248 pounds. He did not earn a spot on Canada's roster for the Ivan Hlinka tourney, virtually unheard of for a seemingly high-end prospect. But he's also one of the most powerful and gifted skaters ever seen in any draft year.

On any given night, when NHL scouts show up to see elite Top 10 draft talent on the Steelheads (Michael McLeod and Alex Nylander), Day alternately wows them and terrifies them, often on the same shift.

Here's a sampling of the scouts' comments:

"NHL size, NHL skater, NHL passer, NHL shooter, limited hockey sense," one said.

"He skates so well, passes the puck like a pro, he has so much poise, there is a lot to like," said another scout. "There's also lot not to like. Is he in shape? Probably not. Does he lack urgency in his game? Yes. I'd really like to put this kid under the microscope to see what makes him tick. He's only 17 years old."

"Incredible tools," a third scout said. "He can make the game look easy and then makes it incredibly difficult. Horrible body language when not used the way he wants to be. Does he love the game? Lots of questions but he has NHL assets galore."

It's far too early to say when Day will be drafted. Some scouts have already said they wouldn't take him at all – too many red flags – but a flash poll of scouts puts Day's early-season consensus in the 20 to 40 range. That is, gifted enough to be a first-round pick but far from being a lock to go in the top 30.
Maybe worth a second round pick or later, but not a first and especially not a top five/top ten pick.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
I would love Dillion Dube on our team, a great player and personality. I think he would go well with Gaudreau. Plus he's from Cochrane :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So that Matthews kid would look good in Calgary. I don't think we will be that bad though.

How much of a ***** would the hockey world and the lower end analysts have with a Matthews v. McDavid BoA :laugh:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Puljujarvi had the best 0 point world juniors I've ever seen last year, he was everywhere but couldn't pick up any points.

Aug 21, 2014

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Puljujarvi had the best 0 point world juniors I've ever seen last year, he was everywhere but couldn't pick up any points.

Whole Team Finland, struggled with that scoring issue
Only player, who hasn't that issue was Mikko Rantanen.

Here's few videos of goals what Jesse scored, into 4 nations tournament in Finland past weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2T_hGuX5n8
Finland's 2-2, powerplay goal against Czechs in Tampere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7oHGm8aYp0
Finland's 2-1, powerplay goal against Swedes in Hämeenlinna

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Interesting story on Patrik Laine from the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament

Link to the original article (in Finnish)

Translation:
A Finland U18 national team super prospect who showed the middle finger to the head coach has been sent home from the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

After Tuesdays loss to the Czechs, a player who shoed head coach Mika Marttila the middle finger and uttered death threats, identified as Tappara's star prospect Patrik Laine, 16, has been sent home during the middle of the tournament. The decision was made on Thursday.

"The player broke the rules and behavior guidelines of the team, so the player's tournament ends here. We've informed the player, team, organizers, Finnish Ice Hockey Association, the player's club team, and parents", Marttila tells Ilta-Sanomat.

"This was so clear that the decision was easy to make in our minds as well as the player's."

Finland has one more game left, a classification match against Switzerland.

Laine, considered one of the world's best players in his age group, still managed to played in Wednesday's game against the United States after the game against the Czechs. The reason for this is that the coaching staff only found out about Laine's behavior on Thursday morning during the team meeting.

Laine had shown the coach the middle finger and shouted that he "could kill" the coach after the game at center ice. This had still gone past the coaching staff.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
"but the 6-foot-3, 230-pound (that's his height and weight from the Steelheads' website) defenceman remains exceptionally interesting.

He showed up to Hockey Canada's Under-18 camp this past summer weighing 248 pounds."

6'3 - 240!!? And he's not even turned 18 yet?!

The kid is an absolute mammoth!

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Top ten in order of the quality of their hockey name (which often determines a player's fate):

1. Sam Steel (C)
2. Tyson Jost (RW)
3. Kieffer Bellows (C)
4. Jakob Chychrun (D)
5. Tyler Benson (LW)
6. Dante Fabbro (D)
7. Mike McLeod (C)
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW)
9. Austin Matthews (C)
10. Dillon Dube (LW)

Status
Not open for further replies.