Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
i really liked that Kyrou kid. Didn't know anything about him before the u18s but I though he was really good.
Katchouk too or whatever his name is.

I honesty wasn't that high on Fabbro or Jost. They both are going to struggle in the D zone at the next level IMO.
I still see them as mid firsts, but they don't belong with those top guys IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Just writing for posterity, but I like Puljujarvi at #1, not even considering team need. He's got it all. Size, skating, skills, shot, and a overwhelming passion for the game.

Praying that he doesn't get his career ruined in the grease fire up north.

His skating is second to only Connor McDavid. He's scary fast.

It's funny people on HF were saying Dubois, Tkachuk or Chychrun or someone could get picked at third over Pulju. Then he came to the u18s and made everyone else look 14. The kid isn't that far off from Matthews or Laine IMO. 55-60+ point annual Selke winner...

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
i really liked that Kyrou kid. Didn't know anything about him before the u18s but I though he was really good.
Katchouk too or whatever his name is.

I honesty wasn't that high on Fabbro or Jost. They both are going to struggle in the D zone at the next level IMO.
I still see them as mid firsts, but they don't belong with those top guys IMO.
Huh? Defensive play is one of Jost's strong points.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Huh? Defensive play is one of Jost's strong points.

I just think he's a little slow for someone his height. That makes me think he's going to struggle against big fast centres at the NHL. Obviously he can improve his skating, and if it catches up to his hockey iq he could be a top 5 or 6 player from this draft. But I generally have this theory that small guys that aren't explosive skaters tend to fall (ie Merkley, Barzal). I still think he's good just not, Brown, Keller, Sergachev, Chychrun, Juolevi good.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I don't think Jost's skating is an issue, size maybe if anything, especially for our team where we are lacking that size to compete the playoffs againot the heavier teams in the West.

He may make sense for a team in the east to draft him high or a team that currently has no deficiency in size. Just don't know if he would make sense for us that high. Maybe if we get a 1st from Dallas and trade up to get him if he falls a bit but I hope our high 1st comes with size and a body that can play at 220lbs.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I don't think Jost's skating is an issue, size maybe if anything, especially for our team where we are lacking that size to compete the playoffs againot the heavier teams in the West.

He may make sense for a team in the east to draft him high or a team that currently has no deficiency in size. Just don't know if he would make sense for us that high. Maybe if we get a 1st from Dallas and trade up to get him if he falls a bit but I hope our high 1st comes with size and a body that can play at 220lbs.

Sounds like you want Gauthier :D

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Lots of big forwards that might be available in picks 27-30 & 35
Laberge, Howden, and Bastian might all be there and Button has guys like Brown and Gauthier falling past 25.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lots of big forwards that might be available in picks 27-30 & 35
Laberge, Howden, and Bastian might all be there and Button has guys like Brown and Gauthier falling past 25.

Button said a few days ago he expects Brown to go top eight and that he could go as high as 4.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I don't really have a preference but if all things equal I go with the larger body. If it is a choice between say a Nylander and Jost who may project to be the same size when Nylander fills out then I would go with the kid that you think fits best. But if it's a Dubois vs Nylander decision I go Dubois all day long. He may not put up the same level of points at the NHL level but he will be harder to play against due to size and weight.

Not saying those will be the choices we have or even if they are the same caliber players, just using them for size comparisons. I'm just saying if scouts have Nylander at the exact level of talent as Dubois, I would most always take the larger body. Don't know if I'm making sense ut in my mind it is :help:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like big teams more than most folks out there; but I probably go with Alex Nylander. It's not that he's a tiny guy, either, but he'll like end up playing at 6'1'' and near 200 lbs.

My hope is come Saturday we win the lotto though.

On a high note, at least we will start some healthy discussion about who we pick once we know where we slot!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
maxresdefault.jpg
Things were going quite well, until everyone died.

What time is the lotto anyways?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Things were going quite well, until everyone died.

What time is the lotto anyways?

What is time to a God?

But seriously,

WHAT IS THE DRAFT LOTTERY? A weighted system implemented and utilized to determine the order of selection in the first round of the 2016 NHL Draft, which takes place June 24-25 at the First Niagara Center in Buffalo.

WHEN DOES IT HAPPEN? Saturday, April 30, 7 p.m. ET.

WHERE WILL IT TAKE PLACE? The winner will be revealed at the Hockey Central studio inside CBC headquarters in downtown Toronto.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? Prior to puck drop for a marquee second-round series game on CBC, starting at 7 p.m. ET.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...matthews-maple-leafs-oilers-toronto-april-30/

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If there was any good in the hockey Gods, Oilers lose all three lotteries and we win one.

As much as I hate Vancouver getting a lottery pick, their team and prospect pool is so atrocious that even one of Matthews or a Finn will do nothing for them. Toronto is in the East so what ever. Edmonton winning even the 3rd lottery spot will be a travesty though with the amount of high picks they've had and Pulju/Laine would be deadly with McDavid, even if they have no defense.

With that said, Flames will be drafting 6th and Oilers and Leafs will be in the top 3. I can guarantee it.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I don't really have a preference but if all things equal I go with the larger body. If it is a choice between say a Nylander and Jost who may project to be the same size when Nylander fills out then I would go with the kid that you think fits best. But if it's a Dubois vs Nylander decision I go Dubois all day long. He may not put up the same level of points at the NHL level but he will be harder to play against due to size and weight.

Not saying those will be the choices we have or even if they are the same caliber players, just using them for size comparisons. I'm just saying if scouts have Nylander at the exact level of talent as Dubois, I would most always take the larger body. Don't know if I'm making sense ut in my mind it is :help:

With that in mind though, Dubois is a center and as seen currently, isn't as effcetive as a winger than Nylander. So if we drafting players of similiar value, Nylander might be better if we want a winger since we have Mony and Bennett down the middle.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Did you watch the game last night? He played exactly like Joe Thorton. Drew two checks in dished off to the open guy. He absolutely dominated Canada last night
From start to finish. Dominated on the boards, dominated in the dot, dominated in front of the net.

And no skill? Lol what? Did you see the second goal where he toe dragged the d-man in the slot and then roofed it top cheese?

He was scoring at about a 2 Ppg clip the last 20 games. Sure he's got no skill... :laugh:

Wait till the kid fills out and gets his man strength. And gets better at skating. He has superstar potential.

Usually players that are 6'4 + are behind their development. They are project picks (aka Jankowski). Generally they develop more then smaller players from the draft on. They have a bigger development curve so to speak. Yet, Logan Brown is Already one of the the best players in the draft. That Does not happen with big guys.

His PPG is 1.25, Monahan was only 1.34 and Bennett was 1.68. Nylander is only 1.32 and Dubois is 1.59 (in a higher scoring league). Both Nylander and Dubois have better line mates.

I saw Logan on TV earlier in the season. Thought he was solid, late first. Saw him again, loved his hockey IQ and hands. Saw him at the U-18... Jaw dropped. Such a beast.

Ill just finish by saying, the Flames desperately need size. Here's a kid that comes around once in a blue moon that actually has legitimate top six talent to go along with his monster frame. He would give Anaheims small defencemen major fits.

I am beginning to agree on this, OHL playoffs and their small sample size aside (though credit to Nylander on how he performed), I don't see why Nylander is consistently ranked 5 spots higher than Brown. It feels like a case of.. this player is small and therefore skilled, this other player is big and therefore less skilled... but reality is they are pretty equivalent in terms of offensive productivity, at least statistically, and from the games I have seen of both (mostly on the world stage & a couple OHL games) I don't really see any proof otherwise. Nylander will be a very good player, but I wouldn't be shocked if Brown, Jost & Keller all went before him, all have higher ceilings I think, Nylander is a safe pick in comparison.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm curious what physical defensive minded D men might be available this draft.

Yeah, I've heard about the Chychrun/Juvolevi and Bean sort of guys, but they're quality offensive d. Any solid Hamonic style PMD DD we perhaps could take a second rounder or two to fill the #4 slot from within in a season or two?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Yeah, I've heard about the Chychrun/Juvolevi and Bean sort of guys, but they're quality offensive d. Any solid Hamonic style PMD DD we perhaps could take a second rounder or two to fill the #4 slot from within in a season or two?

They have to be able to make a good pass, that's my caveat I'll add to your question.

One of my favorite quotes is something like "if you can't make a good breakout pass, you aren't a defensive defenseman, you are just a bad defenseman".

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They have to be able to make a good pass, that's my caveat I'll add to your question.

One of my favorite quotes is something like "if you can't make a good breakout pass, you aren't a defensive defenseman, you are just a bad defenseman".

Curious question... what's the difference between breakout pass and PMD? Does PMD differentiate between breakout passes and puck carrying or something?

Square is rectangle but not other way around sort of thing?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

McAvoy could drop into the 2nd round.

A guy I saw a little bit of but I think hes rated in the 4-7th rounds is Josh Anderson from Prince George. The guy loves the body and has an alright first pass. But hes not really good with the puck.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey guys, just writing a short message with the time that I have. I hope we can land a top 3 pick for this franchise for the first time in franchise history! Matthews or one of the Finnish wingers would help us a ton. All 3 are huge guys and play RW (I think Austin plays both C and RW)? Anyway, I wish our team luck in the lottery on Saturday!

-FFF

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Curious question... what's the difference between breakout pass and PMD? Does PMD differentiate between breakout passes and puck carrying or something?

Square is rectangle but not other way around sort of thing?

To me a PMD can be a guy like Russell who likes to carry it up himself, or even the guy that moves the puck around well in the offensive zone, but isn't necessarily the guy setting up and controlling the play. So like how the PP on the Flames is almost run through the point with Gio. That to me is the more traditional offensive defenseman, or the PPQB.

Breakout pass is simply that nice hard, crisp pass that is tape to tape to setup the play when a forward is breaking up through the neutral zone.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
To me a PMD can be a guy like Russell who likes to carry it up himself, or even the guy that moves the puck around well in the offensive zone, but isn't necessarily the guy setting up and controlling the play. So like how the PP on the Flames is almost run through the point with Gio. That to me is the more traditional offensive defenseman, or the PPQB.

Breakout pass is simply that nice hard, crisp pass that is tape to tape to setup the play when a forward is breaking up through the neutral zone.

I think Jaybo is a good example of a high end PMD. The problem is that usually i find PMD can't generate offense by themselves, but they are good at transitioning the play. Usually I describe them as dmen that don't have enough creativity to generate offense but have the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad