Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I don't like Brown in the top 5 for sure. I don't think he is anywhere near the same skill level as the 2nd grouping of players and he gets many of his points from his size more than his skillset. He doesn't have anywhere near the vision of Thornton to be considered the same player type. He is VERY Martin Hanzal like to me offensively. I'd take him after 10.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't like Brown in the top 5 for sure. I don't think he is anywhere near the same skill level as the 2nd grouping of players and he gets many of his points from his size more than his skillset. He doesn't have anywhere near the vision of Thornton to be considered the same player type. He is VERY Martin Hanzal like to me offensively. I'd take him after 10.

Did you watch the game last night? He played exactly like Joe Thorton. Drew two checks in dished off to the open guy. He absolutely dominated Canada last night
From start to finish. Dominated on the boards, dominated in the dot, dominated in front of the net.

And no skill? Lol what? Did you see the second goal where he toe dragged the d-man in the slot and then roofed it top cheese?

He was scoring at about a 2 Ppg clip the last 20 games. Sure he's got no skill... :laugh:

Wait till the kid fills out and gets his man strength. And gets better at skating. He has superstar potential.

Usually players that are 6'4 + are behind their development. They are project picks (aka Jankowski). Generally they develop more then smaller players from the draft on. They have a bigger development curve so to speak. Yet, Logan Brown is Already one of the the best players in the draft. That Does not happen with big guys.

His PPG is 1.25, Monahan was only 1.34 and Bennett was 1.68. Nylander is only 1.32 and Dubois is 1.59 (in a higher scoring league). Both Nylander and Dubois have better line mates.

I saw Logan on TV earlier in the season. Thought he was solid, late first. Saw him again, loved his hockey IQ and hands. Saw him at the U-18... Jaw dropped. Such a beast.

Ill just finish by saying, the Flames desperately need size. Here's a kid that comes around once in a blue moon that actually has legitimate top six talent to go along with his monster frame. He would give Anaheims small defencemen major fits.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But on the flip side Edmonton and Toronto going 1-2 give us the best shot at #3 we could get statistically.

At least we wouldn't move down the draft order.

YAGpXPd.png

In the first scenario, I get a piece of candy, but its got a very bitter center. Or even a razor blade if you will.

Second scenario I get to keep my leg, but they are going to shatter my kneecap.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
YAGpXPd.png

In the first scenario, I get a piece of candy, but its got a very bitter center. Or even a razor blade if you will.

Second scenario I get to keep my leg, but they are going to shatter my kneecap.

It would suck. But I don't worry about what other teams are doing. Edmonton picks another forward, runs into cap problems and loses C. McDavid (which is a legit possibility), Vancouver isn't a threat yet, Toronto would probably just be the worst because we wouldn't hear the end of the fact they have the three best young players in the world (Ny, Mar, 2016 guy)

We get Dubois or Tkachuk, potential top line forward at a position/player type of need.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'd be fine with drafting a guy named Brown so I could get a Flames jersey with my name on it. :laugh:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
In what universe is Edmonton losing McDavid a legit possibility? They'd probably sooner waive Hall.

They are in serious cap trouble though. There's no denying that. I know they find a way to keep McDavid, but then they still have to sign Draisatl, Nurse and their pick this year.

The Nuge, Eberle, and Sekera deals could completely screw them over.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Did you watch the game last night? He played exactly like Joe Thorton. Drew two checks in dished off to the open guy. He absolutely dominated Canada last night
From start to finish. Dominated on the boards, dominated in the dot, dominated in front of the net.

And no skill? Lol what? Did you see the second goal where he toe dragged the d-man in the slot and then roofed it top cheese?

He was scoring at about a 2 Ppg clip the last 20 games. Sure he's got no skill... :laugh:

Wait till the kid fills out and gets his man strength. And gets better at skating. He has superstar potential.

Usually players that are 6'4 + are behind their development. They are project picks (aka Jankowski). Generally they develop more then smaller players from the draft on. They have a bigger development curve so to speak. Yet, Logan Brown is Already one of the the best players in the draft. That Does not happen with big guys.

His PPG is 1.25, Monahan was only 1.34 and Bennett was 1.68. Nylander is only 1.32 and Dubois is 1.59 (in a higher scoring league). Both Nylander and Dubois have better line mates.

I saw Logan on TV earlier in the season. Thought he was solid, late first. Saw him again, loved his hockey IQ and hands. Saw him at the U-18... Jaw dropped. Such a beast.

Ill just finish by saying, the Flames desperately need size. Here's a kid that comes around once in a blue moon that actually has legitimate top six talent to go along with his monster frame. He would give Anaheims small defencemen major fits.

I didn't say no skill. I said the points come more from his size than his skillset. Toe drags don't really work the same way in the NHL as Junior too.

Martin Hanzal is actually very skilled, but he can't put it all together enough to be a top line center, he has basically all the tools.

Just because he does a Thornton esque move doesn't mean he is going to be Thornton. Jumbo joe ripped apart the CHL in his 2nd year junior season.

On that note its not like Hanzal is a bad player. He was still a mid first round draft pick, he IS skilled and has all the tools. He just couldn't put it all together to be a top line forward. Like Hanzal played in Red Deer in his junior years, he was pretty slick back then, but he couldn't do the same things in the NHL consistently. Hence the comparison I make between him and Brown.

You can't cherry pick the stats and say he is a 2 ppg player though. For most of the season he was around 1.0-1.5 ppg. Then he had a really big Feb where he got 17 in 11 mostly due to a 5 game span where he had 12 points. Then in March he was at 12 points in 8 games. So this 2ppg player in last 20 games is so terribly wrong to look at. Whynot take it a step farther and say he is 2.4 ppg player in his...5 game span in Feb?

Thats why he isn't a top 5 pick in my mind. He isn't really a 1.5-2ppg player on a regular basis. What he has is a lot of tools and the size though and his floor is high, even if he doesn't pan out, he is likely to make the NHL. Like I said, I'd take him after 10. Still a top 1/3 pick of the first round, so its not like I'm saying he is worthless lol.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Could Brown be the next Ryan Getzlaf type that's way better than draft position? yes.
But I don't think the Flames would risk such a high pick on him unless they traded down. We're not gonna take him top 8.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Anyone know if there's a reason Nolan Stevens isn't ranked higher?

Seems like a 6'3'' center who put up 20 goals and 22 assists in 41 games in college should be ranked higher than 209th NA skater by central scouting.

Could be an interesting guy to take with a late pick.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Could Brown be the next Ryan Getzlaf type that's way better than draft position? yes.
But I don't think the Flames would risk such a high pick on him unless they traded down. We're not gonna take him top 8.

Again, I'll start by saying I don't see him as good as prospects 1-6. but he is my #7 forward, no doubt. And I think the fact we almost took a guy like Nik Richie over Sam Bennett makes me think we could take Brown over Nylander.

To answer your question, just look at how valued big centres are. Jankowski was a 6'4 Center playing in high school. Ryan Johansen was a PPG player in the Dub and was picked 4th overall. look at how good those players have become, and they weren't as good (or big) as Logan at the same age. Big players generally improve more but take longer. Their skill sets are usually more translateable too, and their numbers dip less.

Playmaking ability, hands and finish at 6'6 is almost non-existent. If he puts on 25 pounds and gets better at skating, he could be unstoppable.

I'm just glad there's a legitimate 7th forward in this draft I would be happy if the Flames took.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Anyone know if there's a reason Nolan Stevens isn't ranked higher?

Seems like a 6'3'' center who put up 20 goals and 22 assists in 41 games in college should be ranked higher than 209th NA skater by central scouting.

Could be an interesting guy to take with a late pick.

Overager I think?

Yeah, he turns 20 in July.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Again, I'll start by saying I don't see him as good as prospects 1-6. but he is my #7 forward, no doubt. And I think the fact we almost took a guy like Nik Richie over Sam Bennett makes me think we could take Brown over Nylander.

To answer your question, just look at how valued big centres are. Jankowski was a 6'4 Center playing in high school. Ryan Johansen was a PPG player in the Dub and was picked 4th overall. look at how good those players have become, and they weren't as good (or big) as Logan at the same age. Big players generally improve more but take longer. Their skill sets are usually more translateable too, and their numbers dip less.

Playmaking ability, hands and finish at 6'6 is almost non-existent. If he puts on 25 pounds and gets better at skating, he could be unstoppable.

I'm just glad there's a legitimate 7th forward in this draft I would be happy if the Flames took.

Hence why I would take him at 10 or later much less in the top 5. From 6-10 there are some dmen that I'd take before him and Keller or Macleod.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Snipes, the Johansen comparison is a good one. He's gonna go top 10, 7/8/9 is where I think he'll go. No doubt he's on our radar, but I hope we don't pick him only because I hope we pick 5 or better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Snipes, the Johansen comparison is a good one. He's gonna go top 10, 7/8/9 is where I think he'll go. No doubt he's on our radar, but I hope we don't pick him only because I hope we pick 5 or better.

1 :naughty:
Can't think of a team that'd be more stacked down the middle than if we can somehow win that top spot. It would honestly be the second coming of those ultra SJ or Detroit teams with the C depth and offensive power.

With good cap management; this team could be out of this world.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
1 :naughty:
Can't think of a team that'd be more stacked down the middle than if we can somehow win that top spot. It would honestly be the second coming of those ultra SJ or Detroit teams with the C depth and offensive power.

With good cap management; this team could be out of this world.

Detroit hasn't had C depth in a long time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Are you the same guy that claim Ferland has the potential to be a legit 1st liner?

Just checking...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Are you the same guy that claim Ferland has the potential to be a legit 1st liner?

Just checking...
I still think Ferland has top six potential even if he hasn't put it all together yet and I'm not alone in that assessment. Omg he wasn't a legit top six forward in his first full year, useless. :laugh:

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the fact that Brown is a great prospect and is going to get picked on the top ten.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Just writing for posterity, but I like Puljujarvi at #1, not even considering team need. He's got it all. Size, skating, skills, shot, and a overwhelming passion for the game.

Praying that he doesn't get his career ruined in the grease fire up north.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I only caught the medal round games of the US team, but Brown was impressive. I liked his aggression, but I'm not sold on him being a top 6 player.
I think from this tournament though he passed a guy like McLeod, and for me he's just behind Jost & Keller. 2 of those guys aren't making the top 10 though, and every team will have them ranked differently.

Too much of a risk though to drop down from our position and grab one of these guys, unless you're really not sold on one of the 3 Dmen, Tkachuk or Nylander.

I've been pumping Howden's tires for months, and I thought he was one of Canada's best players. I would be thrilled if we could somehow get him with our 2nd pick, but I think he moved himself into that 25-30 range. Go Dallas!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad