Victoria
New thread time!

v.1: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1979477

NHLDraft2016_PMKENG0100a_2016_SCC_SRGB.png

nhl_entry_draft-e1371000607440.jpg

Daly_lotteryballs_672x412a.jpg

529148_1435374523786.jpg

PAKS141_NHL_Draft_Hockey.JPG

This is not a tank thread. Please use for player discussion for the upcoming 2016 NHL Draft.

Please share any thoughts, scouting reports or video highlights on any players eligible for next years draft.

Below is the first edition of Bob MacKenzie's draft rankings here. I will update accordingly throughout the season.

1. Austin Mathews (C)
2. Jakob Chychrun (D)
3. Jesse Puljujarvi (RW)
4. Patrik Laine (LW)
5. Mathew Tkachuk (LW)
6. Alex Nylander (RW)
7. Mike McLeod (C)
8. Pierre-Luc Dubois (LW)
9. Kale Clague (D)
10. Max Jones (LW)
11. Julien Gauthier (RW)
12. Dmitri Sokolov (C)
13. Olli Juolevi (D)
14. Tyler Benson (LW)
15. Mikhail Sergachyov (D)

Honourable Mentions:

Kieffer Bellows (C)
Logan Brown (C)
Dillon Dube (LW)
Dante Fabbro (D)
Tyson Jost (RW)
Sam Steel (C)

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Button just said he wouldn't be at all surprised if Logan Brown is picked top 5.
I'm just glad another player is establishing himself at the end of a season as a top caliber forward in this draft. Nick Bjudgstad with better hands.

There is a 0% he is picked at 13 or lower. Zero. Just picked up another assist.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we do not get into the top 3 my list is:

1. Dubois
2. Chychrun
3. Juolevi
4. Nylander

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
For me Mathews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Joulevi, Nylander and Jost would all have to be gone before I think about taking Brown. At that point when all 9 are gone I think i would then have a conversation between McLeod, Brown, Bean, Sergachev, Keller and Fabbro. Around 9 or so is when it starts to get a bit cloudy for me.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For me Mathews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Dubois, Tkachuk, Chychrun, Joulevi, Nylander and Jost would all have to be gone before I think about taking Brown. At that point when all 9 are gone I think i would then have a conversation between McLeod, Brown, Bean, Sergachev, Keller and Fabbro. Around 9 or so is when it starts to get a bit cloudy for me.

To me he's the best of that second group you mentioned. I like Sergachev but he's Russian. He's better then Jost. I'd take him before Juolevi and Chychrun too.

Nylander and him are a toss up for me.

He's the best 6'5"+ draft eligible forward since Joe Thornton... If our organization wants to get a big body in the top six he could be the guy.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
To me he's the best of that second group you mentioned. I like Sergachev but he's Russian. He's better then Jost. I'd take him before Juolevi and Chychrun too.

Nylander and him are a toss up for me.

He's the best 6'5"+ draft eligible forward since Joe Thornton... If our organization wants to get a big body in the top six he could be the guy.

Laine is 6'4" at 17 years old wouldn't be surprised for him to hit 6'5". I have to say if I'm picking #1 I have a hard time not taking Laine. He has shown he's a big time player and fills our biggest need.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I wouldn't be mad about Brown at 7.

Laine/Pulju/Matthews
Dubois
Chychrun/Nylander

completely wide open for me after 6. still not sold on tkachuk even with his good playoffs

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Laine is 6'4" at 17 years old wouldn't be surprised for him to hit 6'5". I have to say if I'm picking #1 I have a hard time not taking Laine. He has shown he's a big time player and fills our biggest need.

You dont draft positional need at first overall, and Matthews is far and away number 1.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Puljujaarvi is a joy to watch. Just controls the game all over the ice. Hossa, Fedorov he reminds me of some pretty great players.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
You dont draft positional need at first overall, and Matthews is far and away number 1.

My statement is largely based on the emerging belief that Matthews, while still the likely 1st overall, isn't that far ahead of Laine. Based on what the two players have shown over the last year I can look at both players and say they've had good years. They are two very different players that fill different needs. They are both insanely talented but play different positions. Somewhat similar to the OV vs Malkin's debate. You really can't go wrong with either player but what does the team prefer/need.

Personally I like Laine's skill set. He has the potential to be an insane scorer while having reasonable two way play. I've seen numerous scouts comparing him to Lemiux (play style, size, hands, vision, not necessarily same ceiling). He is also a right shot winger that thrives on the power play. I'm not taking anything away from Matthews but as a prospect I don't put Matthews so far ahead of Laine talent wise that Matthews is the no brainer pick.

They will likely both be great players. I personally take the goal scoring right shot winger.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
In a perfect world, we win first overall and Arizona wins second. We trade our first for their second plus whatever else they'd be willing to part with to land their hometown hero. Get a couple more draft picks plus the best RW out there.

...or just keep Matthews and make it work with 3 insane centers. :dunno:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
In a perfect world, we win first overall and Arizona wins second. We trade our first for their second plus whatever else they'd be willing to part with to land their hometown hero. Get a couple more draft picks plus the best RW out there.

...or just keep Matthews and make it work with 3 insane centers. :dunno:

I'm just hoping to god that the top three picks don't go in any order to all of Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton. Worst top three results ever.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm just hoping to god that the top three picks don't go in any order to all of Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton. Worst top three results ever.
But on the flip side Edmonton and Toronto going 1-2 give us the best shot at #3 we could get statistically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad