Official 2015 Tank Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bps21*

Toronto is closer to the Oilers (7 points) than we are (8 points). That's insane.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You can't take tiebreakers as a given, especially since the ROW difference between Buffalo and Edmonton is only two. If Buffalo were to actually catch Edmonton in points it would not be unlikely for them to pass Edmonton in ROW

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
43pnts gained by Edm or lost by Buf clinches 30th

It actually doesn't. All it guarantees is we finish ahead of Edmonton.

If say Edmonton gains 19 of those points via wins/OTL's (let's just say 9-13-1) but Buffalo gets hot too and goes 13-12-0, that's the 43 points combined won by EDM and lost by BUF, but there would still be 8 other teams that would need to win some games to stay ahead of Buffalo.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I still say the magic number is 52 pts for Edmonton. As in, even my most optimistic projections of the way this roster closes the season will not yield more than 51 pts. Even if you assume they can scrape six or seven points from the remainder of their road schedule--which would be a tall task given their road proficiency, or lack thereof--I can't see them getting 10 pts with the remainder of their home schedule.

February: Rangers, Preds, Canucks
March: Rangers, Caps, Devils, Coyotes
April: Leafs, Blackhawks, Canes, Penguins

Best case, I think they go 1-4 in the next five, split with the Devils/Yotes, and split their April games for a 4-7 record. More likely, I think we finish in the 45-47 point range.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's almost time to retire the tank. With the guys we just traded away, the gap and our underlying numbers.....

Although, yes, I'm the same guy who called the tank dead after we built a ten point cushion, so gauge accordingly.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Oilers winning is huge. I'm still waiting for the Sabres to go on some random streak again.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
You can't take tiebreakers as a given, especially since the ROW difference between Buffalo and Edmonton is only two. If Buffalo were to actually catch Edmonton in points it would not be unlikely for them to pass Edmonton in ROW

Exactly.

Edmonton is leading in the tie-breaking category right now, but under most scenarios in which the Sabres would catch-up and match the Oilers in points, they would also move ahead in ROW.

We just have to hope any wins the Sabres manage the rest of the way come in the SO.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
With 25 games left, the max amount of points we can get is 86

Last year, 86 points would have been 10th overall.

We've clinched a top 10 pick!

:party::party::party:

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
It actually doesn't. All it guarantees is we finish ahead of Edmonton.

If say Edmonton gains 19 of those points via wins/OTL's (let's just say 9-13-1) but Buffalo gets hot too and goes 13-12-0, that's the 43 points combined won by EDM and lost by BUF, but there would still be 8 other teams that would need to win some games to stay ahead of Buffalo.

Well, you're correct that people are slightly misusing the term magic number when they focus narrowly on Edmonton. But the concept of a magic number itself is automatically referenced to the 2nd-place team.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Still good to watch the flanks. Edmonton is still around, and I still think Arizona and Toronto are worth keeping an eye on. Carolina's too talented when they're healthy.

Happy for the win, but until it's 100%, I'll be watching closely. Tonight would be a good loss to grab.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Remember the Sabres might make the playoffs thread? :laugh:

@BNHarrington

On Dec. 29, #Sabres were 10 points ahead of #Oilers, who were 7-22-7. Since then, EDM is 10-10-3 (23 pts), BUF just 2-17-1 (5 pts)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
LOL we be tanking crew... might not trade Kessel... tank hard comrades!

They arent prepared, they dont even know

Boston's gonna miss the playoffs and win the lotto :cry:

And then trade McDavid for peanuts in 3 years because they still don't know how to salary cap and he isn't a "Boston type of player". :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad