Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I watched the Minnesota-Michigan game from Friday night and despite Michigan getting dominated and losing 6-2 I came away impressed with Werenski. Michigan was rarely in the offensive zone and that is where Werenski shines too. Big kid, great hands, great passer, delivers hard, accurate outlet passes, almost always on the money. Plays a responsible defensive game. Considering the points he puts up, you would think he jumps the rush a lot, but he really doesn't. Will take you out if the opportunity is there. Good feet, great pivoting and turning. Good PP QB. Hard shot, quick easy wrists. The only question I have about him is his top end speed. I've never really seen him open up and let it loose even when you think he should. Saw a lot of this at the World Juniors.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Seeing as how the Flyers refuse to compete for lower drafting positionand will likely finish in the 10 through 15 slot, I am concerned that we will not get any of the players whom I think will be the best fit for us. If they were lusky enough to win the lottery, I thnk McDavid is a no brainer. That aside, as Eichel, Hanifan, Marner and Strome (whom I am not sold on due to his slow footedness - we have enough of that already), the HF Baords most controversial choice Lawson Crouse is the best fit in my eyes (the above slashing event notwithsatnding). Crouse is the perfect compliment to G and Jake, a big board controlling winger who skates very well and has a really good shot. I think Crouse is the player they need (actually McDavid is, but...). If he is gone, three others who I like a lot are Werenski, Provorov and Barzal, probably in that order. I think they can really use a second scoring center, we don't have one, and those two DMen are just too darned good to skip. Hopefully they can land one of the those 4. If not they will have to hope for one of Rantanen, Connor, Zacha (who looks like he turns like an aircraft carrier, needs help with his edge work and anticipation, despite good straight ahead speed), Konecny, White and Meier in no particular order. Of course the Flyers scouts know a lot more than I do, which is next to nothing other than watching some games and reading opinions, so whoever they pick should be a decent player, but not as good as if they were losing instead of winning. It is really hard watching them, rooting for them to win, knowing that I should be rooting for them to lose (seems like sacrilage).

SchennSational1022*

I just hope we draft somebody who is actually comfortable with the puck on his stick and can, ya know, skate through the neutral zone with control for once. It's literally infuriating watching some of our forwards sometimes..

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
I'm keying in on Kyle Connor. Really starting to like him and he seems like a player that could go 10-13.

I like him because:

-Total package player
-Good skater
-One of the better shots in the draft and isn't afraid to use it
-Plays multiple FWD positions (including LW)

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I'm keying in on Kyle Connor. Really starting to like him and he seems like a player that could go 10-13.

I like him because:

-Total package player
-Good skater
-One of the better shots in the draft and isn't afraid to use it
-Plays multiple FWD positions (including LW)

I think he will go 15+

Would love Zacha, Rantanen, Werenski, Kylington and Crouse

then with our 2nd - Filip Ahl, Roope Hintz, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jake DeBrusk or Jens Looke

Edit: no particular order - just like what I've been reading about them.

Last edited:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I think he will go 15+

Would love Zacha, Rantanen, Werenski, Kylington and Crouse

then with our 2nd - Filip Ahl, Roope Hintz, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jake DeBrusk or Jens Looke

Edit: no particular order - just like what I've been reading about them.

Right now we don't have a 2n rounder. Thanks Holmgren! Here is hope Hextall can change the fortune and we get at least one or two.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right now we don't have a 2n rounder. Thanks Holmgren! Here is hope Hextall can change the fortune and we get at least one or two.

You have to think that acquiring a 2nd with one of our 9 defensemen is going to be very high on Hextalls priority list.

Wouldnt be surprised if he is willing to let Coburn go for a 2nd and a good prospect before the draft if we can't land a 1st.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
If we do manage to get a first for Coburn, I hope we can get Colin Wite with it, coupled with Crouse and two problems are solved. I doubt it goes that way, but a very good left wing and a good number two center with all of the young D and NAK is a good place to start to add to our core of G, Jake, Simmer, Coots and maybe B Schenn.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
If we do manage to get a first for Coburn, I hope we can get Colin Wite with it, coupled with Crouse and two problems are solved. I doubt it goes that way, but a very good left wing and a good number two center with all of the young D and NAK is a good place to start to add to our core of G, Jake, Simmer, Coots and maybe B Schenn.

If the d-prospects were already integrated into our line-up and we'd have a promising D I wouldn't mind to knock on Colorados door and try to grab ROR. He'd be a great 2nd liner for the Flyers team. A package of Laughton and Coburn would be my starting offer. The Avalanche desperately need a top-4 defender and Laughton would look damn good behind MacKinnon and Duchene on the third line (I know MacKinnon plays onthe wing too, you get my point).

Unfortunately we don't have the cap room or are at the stage of our rebuild to justify such a move.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the d-prospects were already integrated into our line-up and we'd have a promising D I wouldn't mind to knock on Colorados door and try to grab ROR. He'd be a great 2nd liner for the Flyers team. A package of Laughton and Coburn would be my starting offer. The Avalanche desperately need a top-4 defender and Laughton would look damn good behind MacKinnon and Duchene on the third line (I know MacKinnon plays onthe wing too, you get my point).

Unfortunately we don't have the cap room or are at the stage of our rebuild to justify such a move.

ROR's upcoming contract is going to be hard to take on given that Voracek's going to go over $7M per too.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Does Colin White have any more potential than Scott Laughton though?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does Colin White have any more potential than Scott Laughton though?

He may have more offensive upside. He could be similar to Dylan Larkin. He's playing behind a high end center in Auston Matthews like Larkin did last year behind Jack Eichel.

A lot of the US Program kids can get overshadowed by players given their a team comprised of players in similar age.

Absolutely. But if our prospects would be here and some of the veteran defenders traded, we'd have the cap room. It's just 1 maybe 2 years too early.

You're going to need a lot of things to go right & do so quickly to feel good enough to take that risk on. It would be a lot of money tied upfront between him, Giroux, & Voracek.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
ROR is scoring at the same rate as BSchenn this year. I can't say I'm looking to give him $7m a year, whatever else he brings.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ROR is scoring at the same rate as BSchenn this year. I can't say I'm looking to give him $7m a year, whatever else he brings.

Me neither but someone will likely give it to him. He'll still have another year to play next year before his contract ends & he's going to be a 25 year old UFA. He took a lot of money last go around more than he was probably worth I can't imagine him not doing it this time either.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
That Columbus loss really put the nail close to the coffin. I can see about a 12-14 pick for us. Guys I am intrigued by are greenway, what is the scoop on this guy. And he plays at shattuck-St.maries, a hockey powerhouse. Merkley, could be a riser within our organization, if he plays well and Kelowna wins the dub, and has a strong showing at the memorial cup. Konecny also intrigues me, good skill, tough little guy, goes to dirty areas and barzal, Seattle, whl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad