Official 2015 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
People always say this once other 3 years or so and it never comes true. In 2003, only 7 players drafted in the second round played 400+ games (5 full seasons). In addition, Jimmy Howard should count even though he played fewer games because he's a goalie. B.J. Crombeen will also reach 400 games since he's still in the NHL. That's 9 players or 30%.

In a regular draft, 20% of second rounders make it, in a super-draft it's 30%. From 20 to 30 is an increase in half, so it's very significant, but people still exaggerate what "a good draft means."

A guy drafted around #15 has about a 50-50 chance of playing in the NHL, maybe slightly more, so a #15 in an average draft has double the odds of making it than a second rounder in a tremendous draft.

It never comes true because it's a hypothetical scenario.

Brodeur, Tkachuk and Smolinski were the last three picks of the 1st round. Where would they have slotted in the much weaker 1991 and 1989 drafts?

The 2014 draft was weak. The scouts were saying it for two years. GMs are never going to say "well, this draft sucks but we drafted kids because we had to". The scouts are the ones who were pretty unanimous in that the 2014 draft was going to be a gamble draft, not a cornerstone draft.

2015 is a great, great pool. I would rank it behind 1979, 1984 and 2003 but ahead of 1990.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Team USA blanked the Czechs 3-0 at the WJC exhibition. 2015 Draft eligibles Kyle Connor and Brandon Carlo were left off the scoresheet, but Carlo is a monster. Big and mean with a heavy shot. Reminds me of Staal. He plays for Tri-City. It was really a long shot to make the team but he's survived thus far.

I don't think he'll be on the final roster. Very raw but a really good, strong defender down low. Righty shot.

Very mean, almost dirty. Likely a late 2nd rounder/3rd rounder.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Team USA blanked the Czechs 3-0 at the WJC exhibition. 2015 Draft eligibles Kyle Connor and Brandon Carlo were left off the scoresheet, but Carlo is a monster. Big and mean with a heavy shot. Reminds me of Staal. He plays for Tri-City. It was really a long shot to make the team but he's survived thus far.

I don't think he'll be on the final roster. Very raw but a really good, strong defender down low. Righty shot.

Very mean, almost dirty. Likely a late 2nd rounder/3rd rounder.

I think Carlo will rise IMO, say early/mid 2nd.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think Carlo will rise IMO, say early/mid 2nd.

I think Only to a team with multiple picks in the first two rounds. That's what I'd do. There is so much explosive offensive talent and cornerstone d-men in this draft that it would be risky to pass that up for Staal or Regher type.

Of course, WJC will make or break some players so he could rise. I don't see him falling beyond top-70 though.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Big day at Hlinka. USA-Russia and CAN-SWE

Czech captain Filip Chlapik tortured them yesterday. He was 11th overall in the CHL import draft and is playing for Charlottetown in the Q this year.

Big strong center for a 17 year old. Anisimov comes to mind.

If he centers Sprong, look out. Could very well be a top-20 pick.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Just to be clear, the Team the US sends to the summer Hlinka is never the best of the best. The roster is a hodgepodge of USHL stars, CHL rookies and Nat'l program invites.

They will all be drafted, but the real team that has dominated will be at the U18 Worlds this winter.

Still some good players. Denis Yan is a half-Russian kid who is a super scorer. He was 8th overall in the CHL import draft and belongs to Shawinigan.

Yan's got two goals today but US trails Russia 3-2. Too many penalties.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thanks for the updates GWOW! You have any other insight on some noticeable players?

Thanks for the updates GWOW! You have any other insight on some noticeable players?

Mostly stuff I get from twitter. The HF international Tourney page is a good source because you get different opinions.

Sweden was herbed by Canada today but they have two studs: Oliver "Vermont" Kylington and Joel Ek Ericsson. Kylington will be a top-5 pick, maybe higher.

Tremendous skater. Now I've seen him play because people were talking about him two years ago.

He's already playing in the Supereli. I think (don't quote me) that he came close to breaking a rookie dman scoring record in the SEL last season.

I remember watching EK in the 2009 or 2010 WJC and I was floored by the way he commanded the game like a point guard. Kylington has similar qualities. Maybe more OEL than EK.

He'll be at the WJC. I'm still not ranking him higher than Hanafin. Hanafin should be 3rd or 4th overall.

Hanafin will be better than Doughty. A bigger version of Doughty. Call me crazy but I see Potvin and Robinson in him. Easily, easily, easily easily the best dman to come out of NE since Leetch. Maybe the best US dman prospect since Leetch.

Sucks we don't have a 1st.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=9067&cHash=673c64f6eee3fc5a48193faad704fecf

Kylington article. Not that great.

Last day of relegation at Hlinka.

Big day. Canada and CR already advanced to semis, winners of US-FIN and SWE-SUI advance as well.

Fins are tough. Keep an eye out for Sami Tavernier. Really good explosive scorer. He's a guy who should be available late in the 2nd but he'll probably go between 3-4. He'll be on the U20 team.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Ivan Hlinka Tournament :

Saint John Sea Dogs pick - Czech D - Jakub Zboril 3GP - 4G + 2A

All goals on the 5on3 powerplay, I believe. against USA 1+1, FIN 1+1, RUS 2+0

Jakub Zboril leads in scoring for Czechs:

2nd F - Lukas Jasek 3GP - 3+3

3rd D - Martin Weinhold 3 GP - 0+6 Zboril pairing

4th F - Filip Chlapik (Charlottetown) 3 GP - 1+4

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Who are some centers that would be good picks towards the end of the 2nd round?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Ivan Hlinka Tournament :

Saint John Sea Dogs pick - Czech D - Jakub Zboril 3GP - 4G + 2A

All goals on the 5on3 powerplay, I believe. against USA 1+1, FIN 1+1, RUS 2+0

Jakub Zboril leads in scoring for Czechs:

2nd F - Lukas Jasek 3GP - 3+3

3rd D - Martin Weinhold 3 GP - 0+6 Zboril pairing

4th F - Filip Chlapik (Charlottetown) 3 GP - 1+4

Zboril and Chlapik are players that I've been intrigued about since the beginning of last year. Can't wait to see what they can do this year in the Q!! Don't know anything about Jasek, excpet that he's playing with HC Trinec next year so that's interesting. Don't know anything on Weinhold, either.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112379
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213164
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=216068
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157524

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Who are some centers that would be good picks towards the end of the 2nd round?

Well I'd definitely say Chlapik, but Denis Malgin and Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson are going to rise, but IMO are late 2nd rounders as of right now. Some other names can be Matteo Gennaro, Mitchell Stephens, Brett McKenzie, Jansen Harkins, and Adam Musil.

And just to speculate here, but I feel that Aleksi Saarela is going to fall out of the 1st round so there's another center.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Zboril and Chlapik are players that I've been intrigued about since the beginning of last year. Can't wait to see what they can do this year in the Q!! Don't know anything about Jasek, excpet that he's playing with HC Trinec next year so that's interesting. Don't know anything on Weinhold, either.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112379
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213164
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=216068
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157524

Czech roster on Hlinka 2014 :

Radek Koblizek - Filip Chlapik "A" (Charlottetown) - Lukas Jasek (allegedly homesick in Sweden last season)
Jan Dufek - David Kase "C" (Armada) - Filip Suchy "A" (2016 eligible - 3GP - 1+2)
Lukas Andel - Tomas Soustal (Kelowna Rockets) - Roman Dymacek
Simon Stransky (Prince Albert Raiders - 2016 eligible 3GP - 2+1) - Filip Dvorak - Michal Gago
Ivan Durac

Jakub Zboril (Saint John Sea Dogs) - Martin Weinhold (HC Energie Karlovy Vary - MHL camp)
Daniel Krenzelok (Val-d'Or Foreurs) - Lukas Kanak
Libor Hajek (2016 eligible) - Lukas Doudera (2016 eligible)
Petr Kalina

Daniel Vladar
Ales Stezka

Scratches : Pavel Zacha (Sarnia Sting) Michael Spacek (Medicine Hat Tigers - injury)

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
Well I'd definitely say Chlapik, but Denis Malgin and Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson are going to rise, but IMO are late 2nd rounders as of right now.

I've got F.Chlapik considered as a late (4-7) round pick. But I'm really wondering, what he can do in the Q next season (especially on a line with Sprong :))???

Babula

May 31, 2012
Big day at Hlinka. USA-Russia and CAN-SWE

Czech captain Filip Chlapik tortured them yesterday. He was 11th overall in the CHL import draft and is playing for Charlottetown in the Q this year.

Big strong center for a 17 year old. Anisimov comes to mind.

If he centers Sprong, look out. Could very well be a top-20 pick.

Filip Chlapik is just an assistant for David Kase. Anyway chlapik in czech it literally means - the fellow

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No way Kylington goes over Hanifin.

I like Nathan Noel of Saint John. Could realistically fall to us. His defensive game is absolute trash, but you can't teach talent. And he's got quite a set of hands.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Just an error I noticed, they don't show our other 2nd round pick. They have Tampa drafting a center there

Yeah like I said it was a bit off, but if we can get Gustaf Franzen I'll be a really happy man!!

No way Kylington goes over Hanifin.

I like Nathan Noel of Saint John. Could realistically fall to us. His defensive game is absolute trash, but you can't teach talent. And he's got quite a set of hands.

Agreed I think the top 4 is pretty much set in stone even before the season starts...

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Kylington

However, the season didn't start yet and I have really big gut feeling that Kyle Connor will surprise a lot and move into that core group. Nathan Noel would be a very nice addition to our system so I agree with you there too, Rasp.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah like I said it was a bit off, but if we can get Gustaf Franzen I'll be a really happy man!!

Agreed I think the top 4 is pretty much set in stone even before the season starts...

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Kylington

However, the season didn't start yet and I have really big gut feeling that Kyle Connor will surprise a lot and move into that core group. Nathan Noel would be a very nice addition to our system so I agree with you there too, Rasp.

What's the deal with Gustaf Franzen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark