Official 2015 NHL Draft/College & Europe FA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Just thinking about it, I'm surprised no one has started this up yet. This draft class is too legit and compares to the huge 2003 class (you know the Jessiman one :shakehead) and I think we should start chatting about it. Granted we don't have a 1st, but we do have two 2nds that can be packaged for a 1st. Just food for thought to hype up this years draft and something to talk about over the summer. HF just posted up its consensus Top 10 (link below). McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Zacha, Konecny, Barzal, Kylington, etc... etc.. Really excited!!!! :propeller.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...nd-tomorrow-mcdavid-eichel-head-class-of-2015

MODS PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD AS SOON AS YOU CAN

Let's get this rolling here!! :)

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Here's my Top 10 thus far....

1. C: Connor McDavid: Erie Otters (OHL)
2. C: Jack Eichel: Boston University (NCAA)
3. D: Noah Hanifin: USNTDP (USHL) -- Boston College Committ
4. C: Matthew Barzal: Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
5. D: Oliver Kylington: Farjestad (SHL)
6. LW: Pavel Zacha: Sarnia Sting (OHL)
7. C: Travis Konecny: Ottawa 67's (OHL)
8. D: Kyle Connor: Youngstown Phantoms (USHL) -- U of Michigan Committ
9. C: Colin White: USNTDP (USHL) -- Boston College Committ
10. RW: Daniel Sprong: Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) -- Should mention he is the first guy from the Netherlands to be in the draft if I'm not mistaken

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
giphy.gif

Just realized that this is a big class for the Americans!!!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
With two 2nds this year and no first, I dont see Sather trading up when you consider a 2nd in 2015 would like have been a top-15 in 2014.

This draft has more game breakers and difference makers. Cornerstone guys.

Everybody talks about Eichel, but Jordan Greenway was a top-15 pick in the OHL draft and is going to BU with Eichel. He was very good at the U17.

Greenway is a monster forward who probably would have been a top-5 pick in 2014 but he'll likely be available mid to late in the 1st round this year.

Another guy is Blake Speers, who's a small center but he was an OHL rookie of the year finalist and was one of the best '97's in terms of points per 60 mins. He was mainly 3rd and 4th line for the Soo. Really creative with the puck and great and making plays off the cycle.

He should be around in the 2nd.

Deep, deep draft. Losing the 1st (late 20s) for two late 2nds is not as bad as we originally thought.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
If it's 2003 again, then let's just make sure we nab Bergeron and Weber in the second round. Or at least Backes and Eriksson. The thought sure makes me hope McIlrath takes Klein's spot mid-season so they can flip him for a third second rounder.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
With two 2nds this year and no first, I dont see Sather trading up when you consider a 2nd in 2015 would like have been a top-15 in 2014.

This draft has more game breakers and difference makers. Cornerstone guys.

Everybody talks about Eichel, but Jordan Greenway was a top-15 pick in the OHL draft and is going to BU with Eichel. He was very good at the U17.

Greenway is a monster forward who probably would have been a top-5 pick in 2014 but he'll likely be available mid to late in the 1st round this year.

Another guy is Blake Speers, who's a small center but he was an OHL rookie of the year finalist and was one of the best '97's in terms of points per 60 mins. He was mainly 3rd and 4th line for the Soo. Really creative with the puck and great and making plays off the cycle.

He should be around in the 2nd.

Deep, deep draft. Losing the 1st (late 20s) for two late 2nds is not as bad as we originally thought.

Greenway looks really really good! Projected so far to fall around 15th-25th and huge!
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183455

Speers's stats here too
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=186413

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Best draft in a decade, IMO.

I haven't scrubbed all the eligible, but I think this will be Canada's worst draft in terms of players picked.

This is a Europe/US draft. Canada has been garbage the last four U17s and U20s. Even the U18's, team USA has won five of the last six.

The 2013 U18 is where McDavid as an underager took over the tournament and beat the US.

In 2014 Eichel took over the medal round and Canada did well considering Mcdavid played at the WjC.

I don't know. I'm thinking Eichel is the best player. McDavid was nothing special at the WJC which is rare for a generational talent.

nikonsniper*

Best draft in a decade, IMO.

Does it makes sense to move a guy like Staal at the trade deadline to get a mid 1st back? If we can have a 1st and two 2nds in a draft like this... its tempting.

I mean, if we're sitting at the top of the East, i dont think we dont, but if we are sitting in a 4-6 spot, can this team be honest with itself about its chances and quickly restock for the future instead?

Championship*

Does it makes sense to move a guy like Staal at the trade deadline to get a mid 1st back? If we can have a 1st and two 2nds in a draft like this... its tempting.

I mean, if we're sitting at the top of the East, i dont think we dont, but if we are sitting in a 4-6 spot, can this team be honest with itself about its chances and quickly restock for the future instead?

If he won't sign an extension. But even then it's gonna be a contender looking to pick him up. 15-30 and probably closer to 30 than 15. I'd love for this team to be honest but let's face it, with the Rangers missing their first they will go all in to make the playoffs.

Championship*

Certainly hope Eichel doesn't fall to a divisional rival. Gonna be hard to hate him I think.

Who would get him? Pens and Flyers are out. The Isles don't have their first. Columbus, Washington and Devils will be in the mix for a playoff spot. Carolina maybe but that wouldn't scare anybody. I think you'll be ok :laugh:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If it's 2003 again, then let's just make sure we nab Bergeron and Weber in the second round. Or at least Backes and Eriksson. The thought sure makes me hope McIlrath takes Klein's spot mid-season so they can flip him for a third second rounder.

Despite the depth of this draft, Kleins fantastic contract would warrant a 2nd rounder +.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Definitely not interested in drafting goalies in this draft.

1 or 2 every other draft is enough.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Definitely not interested in drafting goalies in this draft.

1 or 2 every other draft is enough.

I agree. Especially grabbing Halverson and Shesterkin last month I see no need for goalies. I have been surprised before and I'm sure I'm not the only one though. Still interesting to look into. Blackwood is a stud and will be the top goalie in the draft. Maybe push for a late 1st pick.

This website didn't put up it's top Euro goalies yet, but I can say watch out for Maxim Tretiak (yes the grandson to former Soviet starter Vladislav Tretiak).

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

People always say this once other 3 years or so and it never comes true. In 2003, only 7 players drafted in the second round played 400+ games (5 full seasons). In addition, Jimmy Howard should count even though he played fewer games because he's a goalie. B.J. Crombeen will also reach 400 games since he's still in the NHL. That's 9 players or 30%.

In a regular draft, 20% of second rounders make it, in a super-draft it's 30%. From 20 to 30 is an increase in half, so it's very significant, but people still exaggerate what "a good draft means."

A guy drafted around #15 has about a 50-50 chance of playing in the NHL, maybe slightly more, so a #15 in an average draft has double the odds of making it than a second rounder in a tremendous draft.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Ivan Hlinka starts on Monday in Piestany and Breclav. Ends on the 14th.

The U17 is in the Fatherland.

Look out for Jakub Zboril. The U18 tourneys IMO are the real gauges because the kids are relaxed and don't have to deal with the BS pressure of the WJC.

No McDavid or Eichel this tournament.

Brock Boeser and Tory Dello are the key players for the US.

Boeser reminds me of Oshie. He's got a sick shot and can play wing or center, but I think his shot makes him suited for wing. He's a Minnesota kid committed to Wisconsin.

Dello is a Joe Corvo-type dman who is on the small side but can run the PP. He's going to Notre Dame next year.

US has been crushing it in these tourneys the last five or six years. Miller was the first US forward picked in 2011 because of his tourney play at the U17 challenge and U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad