Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Any chance of taking Colin White? I'm pretty high on him, strong RW that can play a little C (or was it the other way around?) Has shown he can score, but is physical as well. Fits Burkie's mold, and he's American.
I think there's a huge possibility the Flames take him.

Do they reach (a little) taking him at #15, or take a risk and trade back a couple of spots?

Timo Meier is another one I'm keeping my eye on, but I think he'll be gone by the 15th pick.

Any good 2-way defenders that have good size available in the second round?

Ryan Pilon. No seriously that's the player. I'd take him on his name and the Pylon meme we had going on last off-season.

Wotherspoon might be an option for the later 2nd round pick, but might be around in the 3rd.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think there's a huge possibility the Flames take him.

Do they reach (a little) taking him at #15, or take a risk and trade back a couple of spots?

Timo Meier is another one I'm keeping my eye on, but I think he'll be gone by the 15th pick.

Ryan Pilon. No seriously that's the player. I'd take him on his name and the Pylon meme we had going on last off-season.

Wotherspoon might be an option for the later 2nd round pick, but might be around in the 3rd.

If Meier is gone, I hope we pick Roy or Konecny.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Ohh, so that's the player!! In my Be a Player Mode on NHL 14, I saw a guy named "Pilon" playing for the Flames and I chuckled. Thought it was a fake player! :laugh:

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Noah Juulsen could be around in the second, I like him. As for the first i would prefer Chabot over Roy for sure

Aug 21, 2014
Hypothetical Noah Hanifin is available at 5, Carolina wants to trade the pick (I doubt it). Would our 3 2nds + 15th overall get it done?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wouldn't be opposed to trading down. I don't think there is necessarily a talent drop off from 15-25 imo.

Of course, if Meier/Barzal/Rantanen miraculously fell to 15, you pick them. But, if management was looking at a player that was already picked, I wouldn't mind trading down and getting an additional pick.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I wouldn't trade down. I think this draft is a bit overrated due to the top 10 players or whatever, especially with McDavid and Eichel. If anything we trade up. We have 5 picks in the first 90, we don't have add more picks.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wouldn't trade down. I think this draft is a bit overrated due to the top 10 players or whatever, especially with McDavid and Eichel. If anything we trade up. We have 5 picks in the first 90, we don't have add more picks.

I don't think trading away picks is the right move for a rebuilding team. Trading down from 15 to 20 wouldn't hurt imo, trading away a couple seconds just to move up to 10 isn't what I think we should do.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I don't think trading away picks is the right move for a rebuilding team.

Sure we are still rebuilding, but it has sped up exponentially. We can move picks if there are similar deals like Boychuk and Leddy etc. We don't need prospects as badly as before. The only thing we need really is more dmen prospects. It's not like will be moving all 5 picks or something to move up. The odds of a player in the 2nd or 3rd that will make the NHL is slim. like I said, the draft is slightly overrated.

If you can improve the team without hurting the rebuild you do it. The salary cap could potentially decrease next season. We take advantage of the cap locked teams. I mean our team is good enough that we may only need a couple of peieces.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sure we are still rebuilding, but it has sped up exponentially. We can move picks if there are similar deals like Boychuk and Leddy etc. We don't need prospects as badly as before. The only thing we need really is more dmen prospects. It's not like will be moving all 5 picks or something to move up. The odds of a player in the 2nd or 3rd that will make the NHL is slim. like I said, the draft is slightly overrated.

If you can improve the team without hurting the rebuild you do it. The salary cap could potentially decrease next season. We take advantage of the cap locked teams. I mean our team is good enough that we may only need a couple of peieces.

I agree with a lot of your post. Evaluating Calgary:

Top 6 - Top line is great, we still need 2nd line wingers (secondary scoring).
Bottom 6 - We can start to argue that we have one of the best out there.
Top 4 defense - One of the best in the league now when Giordano comes back, however, no d prospects to replace them in a few years if we had to.
Bottom 2 defense - Needs prospects as well.
Goaltending - It's above average, will only get better with Ortio and Gillies/McDonald in the future.

I think our concern in this draft is finding some top notch defenseman and some secondary scoring forwards in the 2nd/3rd round. I feel the draft is only overrated with the top 10 players, outside of the top 10 and outside of the 1st round there are a lot of quality players. For example, Sprong is projected to be a late 1st, I think he could have been a 10-15 pick in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad