Official 2015 Bruins Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

Didn't Neely say the Bruins had Eichel at #1 right now? Stuff like that really worries me about the Bruins drafting strategy. It's almost like they've completely written off the CHL, the best development league/s in the world for hockey.

Where'd you hear that?

Crazy talk. Love Eichel but no.

member 96824

He said it last week in an interview.
Heard it with my own ears.

Wow.

Over McDavid?? What in the world?

Like I said, I love Jack and think he's truly a stud...but thats some Bowie over Jordan stuff there.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Cam was probably hamming it up to a Boston crowd (I'm not sure when he said this, I'm assuming a radio interview or something) that they have the local product ahead of McDavid. The Bruins are never gonna have a chance to choose between the two so we're never really find out if he was being truthful, if in some imaginary universe the Bruins did pass on McDavid I'd freak out. Saying you have Eichel ahead in November is one thing, actually passing up on McDavid in June is a totally different ballgame. The writing off the CHL makes me laugh, from '09 to '12 the Bruins were almost exclusively CHL (especially OHL), I can't imagine anybody had a much higher percentage of CHL players drafted. Two drafts in a row and where some Swedes and college kids were picked and we got posters worried the Bruins will never pick a CHL player again. Go check how the Swedes and college kids are doing in the Prospects Thread, it's too bad Arnesson, Cehlarik and Fitzgerald aren't worth **** because they don't play in the CHL (and I have OHL season tickets, I'm a big supporter of CHL hockey, but there are other great development systems out there).

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
First round picks are a different story, but when you get into rounds 2-7 and where you have depth that players are going to be a few years away anyway, the safe bet is to go non CHL players when all things are equal.

2 years to sign vs 4 years to sign. Again, when all things are equal, it's a business decision and not ignoring one developmental league. Its just the way the NHL-CHL agreement works, and it works against CHL players in that sense.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
First round picks are a different story, but when you get into rounds 2-7 and where you have depth that players are going to be a few years away anyway, the safe bet is to go non CHL players when all things are equal.

2 years to sign vs 4 years to sign. Again, when all things are equal, it's a business decision and not ignoring one developmental league. Its just the way the NHL-CHL agreement works, and it works against CHL players in that sense.

Does that mean the bruins have to sign ogara after this year. He took a post grad year and is now a junior at Yale. If he wants to graduate in 4 it will have been 5 years since he was drafted

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Does that mean the bruins have to sign ogara after this year. He took a post grad year and is now a junior at Yale. If he wants to graduate in 4 it will have been 5 years since he was drafted

Boston keeps his rights until after his last year of college. It can be more than four years. Tommy Cross didn't get signed until 5 years after he was drafted. Now a college senior could always wait until after August 15th after their last year and become a free agent like Kevin Hayes did.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Lawson Crouse

I spoke with Kingston Frontenacs’ Director of Player Development Darren Kelly about Crouse.

OHLW: Already possessing NHL size, skating, shot and showing signs of leadership qualities, if there is one thing that would keep Lawson from making the NHL next season, what would that be?

Kelly: I would never count Lawson out from making the NHL at 18 but he’s still working on becoming a well rounded player at this level, I don’t have one specific thing that would stop Lawson from playing at that level in the near future other than he is still only 17 and needs to keep working on his overall game.

OHLW: You're using him in all situations this season. Is it fair to say that in the last minute of a game, down or up a goal, Lawson is one of the guys you want on the ice?

Kelly: Lawson has become one of our most dependable players in all situations and keeps getting better each week, so yes Lawson is one of the guys you always want on the ice late in a game no matter what the score is, when defending he can use his size and strength to get pucks out and win battles and when you need a goal he has all skills to get to the net and cause problems for the other team.

OHLW: Do you have any concerns with Lawson's penalty minutes and is it something the coaching staff is working on with him?

Kelly: Lawson has taken the odd penalty that he would like back but that’s understandable considering the amount of time he’s on the ice and how competitive he is. So yes the coaches are working not only with Lawson but our entire team on reducing the needless penalties.

OHLW: I've said his work ethic is probably his biggest asset. What would you say is his biggest asset?

Kelly: Character and leadership are Lawson greatest assets in my opinion, you can have his size and skill but without the character and leadership it would be wasted. As a 17 year old he has taken charge not only on the ice but at school and in the dressing room. He never asks for anything or needs special treatment he just comes to the rink to get better and win games. He has specific goals in mind and doesn’t let anything distract him. One of the most impressive kids I have had the privilege to be around.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/lawson-crouse-player-profile-kingston-frontenacs

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Yeah.
On the other hand maybe Cam just wanted to bust Felgers balls.

Who knows?

I could see the Bruins having Eichel over McDavid. Eichel's 13 points in 7 games in NCAA is comparable to McDavid's 3ppg in the OHL, and his international performances up to this point have been as good or better. He is also the bigger, stronger player, and arguably a better skater, although they are both pretty much a 10/10 in that category.

McDavid has the benefit of 3 years of high profile hockey. Eichel is just entering his first. I don't think he's done anything to take himself out of contention for 1st overall, and I am sure a couple of GM's would do so if the draft were today.

McDavid has been an unstoppable force in junior hockey this year. It's clear no one at that level can defend him. However, I saw bits and pieces of his games in the WJC development camp, and he was just one of the better players. Actually, Pastrnak was better in those games.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Checked out the Baby B's last night and maybe their is an organizational shift in the type of players they are looking at. Knight (2nd round) and Camara (3rd round) are two of my favorite prospects BUT both have a physical component. Right now the Bruins RW's are like show dogs- Eriksson, Smith, and Griffith. All skilled but if my shadow would intimidate me more. Maybe this is how Boston will be going- forget the fighting and body checking and try to outscore the opposition. They may have the wrong coach in Boston for that but a 2-1 SO win is still 2 points.

I watch Knight in the first period get called for a slash and then a very borderline boarding (it was Esiah Hayes who played against Boston a few weeks ago and is about 6'5" and tough, and Knight buried him, but he turned into him and wasn't that close to the boards even- I think Knight walloped a 6'5" guy so bad my bud said he had to give him something)....Knight uncommonly complained about it, but atleast he freaking hit the guy, slashed a guy, crushed two others with A hits....and Camara???? he was physical as well, his skating has improved- I think he's come a long way, but.....

I been going to these games for my entire life, nearly 50 years of Bruins games and at what point did they lose their way....they sit their most two physical forwards and the Sharks just skate around like stick practice, put a zillion shots on net and beat them. No body hit-natta....but sadly, this is the new NHL.

Last night if you added Knight and Camara, the two most physical they got EASY less TOI than Corey ****ing Kane- who was called up from the ECHL yesterday (he did score but it was from the back/side of the net the goalie totally muffed but hey its a goal)

If Camara and Knight are going to rock people but get benched the third period and COMBINE for less than 12 minutes while Corey Kane, an ECHL player on Friday morning with zero chance of ever making the NHL and not a very physical player gets maybe 16 then the Bruins are moving away from physical players and going to go soft but skilled.

it will be very interesting to follow guys who leave like Ryan Spooner (different situation, Claude doesn't approve) Koko (not feeling to good about how this is going now especially with the extension to Claude. Although I certainly love his talent), Camara, and Knight.

I'm confident we will be able to count this as drafting well, but not developing which beats sucking at both

following up these guys after they leave will be a fun exercise on this board

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Checked out the Baby B's last night and maybe their is an organizational shift in the type of players they are looking at. Knight (2nd round) and Camara (3rd round) are two of my favorite prospects BUT both have a physical component. Right now the Bruins RW's are like show dogs- Eriksson, Smith, and Griffith. All skilled but if my shadow would intimidate me more. Maybe this is how Boston will be going- forget the fighting and body checking and try to outscore the opposition. They may have the wrong coach in Boston for that but a 2-1 SO win is still 2 points.

I watch Knight in the first period get called for a slash and then a very borderline boarding (it was Esiah Hayes who played against Boston a few weeks ago and is about 6'5" and tough, and Knight buried him, but he turned into him and wasn't that close to the boards even- I think Knight walloped a 6'5" guy so bad my bud said he had to give him something)....Knight uncommonly complained about it, but atleast he freaking hit the guy, slashed a guy, crushed two others with A hits....and Camara???? he was physical as well, his skating has improved- I think he's come a long way, but.....

I been going to these games for my entire life, nearly 50 years of Bruins games and at what point did they lose their way....they sit their most two physical forwards and the Sharks just skate around like stick practice, put a zillion shots on net and beat them. No body hit-natta....but sadly, this is the new NHL.

Last night if you added Knight and Camara, the two most physical they got EASY less TOI than Corey ****ing Kane- who was called up from the ECHL yesterday (he did score but it was from the back/side of the net the goalie totally muffed but hey its a goal)

If Camara and Knight are going to rock people but get benched the third period and COMBINE for less than 12 minutes while Corey Kane, an ECHL player on Friday morning with zero chance of ever making the NHL and not a very physical player gets maybe 16 then the Bruins are moving away from physical players and going to go soft but skilled.

it will be very interesting to follow guys who leave like Ryan Spooner (different situation, Claude doesn't approve) Koko (not feeling to good about how this is going now especially with the extension to Claude. Although I certainly love his talent), Camara, and Knight.

I'm confident we will be able to count this as drafting well, but not developing which beats sucking at both

following up these guys after they leave will be a fun exercise on this board

I agree about adding team toughness. I think Knight is tailor-made for the Bruins fourth line starting next year. He has speed, power and a willingness to hit.

Here is my recipe for adding team toughness. Re-sign Soderberg and start integrating Camara, Ferlin, Knight and Cehlarik into the bottom 6 over the next couple years. Soderberg and Cehlarik may not be hitters, but they are two huge, heavy players that can wear a team down. Let the top lines and our mobile defense drive the offense.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Best league for draft exposure for sure, development? That's across the pond

Poor choice of words on my part. I don't mean they're the best leagues for developing individual players, but rather the sheer number of successful players that come from those leagues is staggering. When only 1 of 11 players have come from the CHL the last 2 years, it's a bit unnerving, especially considering it was a 7th round pick.

I just don't understand an argument for Eichel over McDavid right now. As Dom said before, 1st round picks are a different story when it comes to 2 vs. 4 years to sign. You're not just expecting one of McDavid or Eichel to just make the team right off the bat, you're expecting them to contribute right away. If they're factoring that in somehow with their preference of Eichel over McDavid, they're taking it way too far.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree about adding team toughness. I think Knight is tailor-made for the Bruins fourth line starting next year. He has speed, power and a willingness to hit.

Here is my recipe for adding team toughness. Re-sign Soderberg and start integrating Camara, Ferlin, Knight and Cehlarik into the bottom 6 over the next couple years. Soderberg and Cehlarik may not be hitters, but they are two huge, heavy players that can wear a team down. Let the top lines and our mobile defense drive the offense.

I read all the stuff on Camara being a bust when he was drafted but I have keyed on this guy when he plays and I absolutely see some promise. Real good hands, goes hard to the net, good skating.

My advice was don't fight unless you are a) sticked in the balls; b) speared; c) cheapshotted in the knees or head.

We have our mouths too;)....if they want to fight and its not over that. Just reply 'go duck yourself a hole'. Easy. You aren't backing down. You are only a puss if you think you are. So if it doesn't bother Camara, it wont bother me. I watched Dale Hunter and a thousand other guys in the NHL tell the opposition tell others to screw without dropping them.

I want Camara playing physical, smart, strong defensive hockey.

He should be able to play easy fourth line and maybe higher with those hands. He hits hard, he has a damn good shot.

I know the Teddy Bears are going away from his kind but if not Boston then someone else. Pandolfo should be able to round this guys defensive game a bit.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Seems that since this draft appears to be so juicy, I'm wondering if there's a lot of prospect movement. Do you think he's someone the bruins could draft; rather, a player that would be available?

I don't want to steer this, the prospect thread, into a draft thread, but, with as deep and as strong as this draft is, you are going to see all sorts of different rankings. And it's a little to early to really know who will be there when the Bruins pick. Heck, we aren't really sure what area they will even be picking at.

member 96824

I don't want to steer this, the prospect thread, into a draft thread, but, with as deep and as strong as this draft is, you are going to see all sorts of different rankings. And it's a little to early to really know who will be there when the Bruins pick. Heck, we aren't really sure what area they will even be picking at.

Dom...the title "draft thread" steers this into a draft thread!

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Too early to speculate who will be there for the bs wherever they draft but any idea where they should look? Offense defense or BPA? Personally i d like either a defensemen or a centerman. I think with krecji and bergeron locked in to the top 2 center positions we are seeing khoklachev and Spooner struggle to play NHL minutes due to their skill set (top 6/skill). I wouldn't at all mind if they went with the low risk pick this time around and grabbed the Jared McCann/conor bleakley type player who fills a role with this team in the future as a potential impact bottom six role, although probabaly not in the majority here.

The organizational depth chart 2 years down the road as I see it is as follows

LW

Lucic
Marchand
Cehlarik
Camara
Bjork
Blidh

C

Krecji
Bergeron
Spooner
Khoklachev
Fitzgerald
Heinen
Donato

Rw

Pastrnak
Smith
Ferlin
Griffith
Knight

D

Chara
Hamilton
Seidenberg
Morrow
Krug
Arnesson
Trotman
O gara
Grzcelyk
Johansen

G
Rask
Subban
Svedberg??
McIntyre

Overall I'd say they are strongest at defense but could still use a bonefide top pairing potential guy in the system outside off Hamilton. Other than that they have a great blend of youth, veterans, offense first, defense first and size. At LW they are as strong as cehlarik turns out to be. If he can be a top9 guy I'd say they are fine as bjork blidh and Camara all seem to have the make up of players who could succeed on the 4th line.

Rw is probably where they are weakest but it really all comes down to pastrnak. If he can be a star (I often think he plays much like voracek) they are much better as smith seems like at least a top 9 guy and ferlin could project as another guy in the top 9.

Center looks like a strength at first glance until you dive into what each player can do for an NHL team. Fitzgerald Spooner and koko don't profile as guys who can play tough minutes and henien and donato might (donato more so) but both are still probably 4-6 years away. i think they could use some grit, leadership and physicality out of their center prospects.

In terms of need id say it is

D
C
RW
Lw
G.

but if the best player available is a rw i leapfrog the other 2 more pressing needs to go BPA

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC

Dom,
My son, a Sabres fan, is of the impression that McDavid does not necessarily go into the dirty areas so that is why he scores less but has more assists. He says that he prefers Eichel. He is a pretty smart hockey guy even at 17 yo but I would like your thoughts on McDavid's dirtiness and Eichel scoring prowess?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom,
My son, a Sabres fan, is of the impression that McDavid does not necessarily go into the dirty areas so that is why he scores less but has more assists. He says that he prefers Eichel. He is a pretty smart hockey guy even at 17 yo but I would like your thoughts on McDavid's dirtiness and Eichel scoring prowess?

False.

Crosby gets more assists than goals as well.

I love both Eichel and McDavid. Obviously, I get to see a lot more of McDavid. McDavid is a generational talent. Eichel is an elite franchise player. McDavid has the edge in every category but size. And he's an accomplished two way player.

McDavid, if all goes to plan WILL be hockey's first billion dollar player. That's BILLION with a "B". With NHL salary and endorsements, he'll reach that total. At 15 he signed the same endorsement deal with Reebok that Crosby did.

And in my opinion, he'll one day be better than Crosby.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
False.

Crosby gets more assists than goals as well.

I love both Eichel and McDavid. Obviously, I get to see a lot more of McDavid. McDavid is a generational talent. Eichel is an elite franchise player. McDavid has the edge in every category but size. And he's an accomplished two way player.

McDavid, if all goes to plan WILL be hockey's first billion dollar player. That's BILLION with a "B". With NHL salary and endorsements, he'll reach that total. At 15 he signed the same endorsement deal with Reebok that Crosby did.

And in my opinion, he'll one day be better than Crosby.

Thanks for the reply. it is always good to get information from a knowledgeable source. It will be exciting for him if his team gets McDavid.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
McDavid just hurt his hand in a fight. Had a goal and assist halfway through the game. Got a game misconduct for removing the other guy's helmet, was definitely looking down at his hand skating off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad