Official 2015 Bruins Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

I love Matthews. Great to see Arizona of all places putting out some talent. I have to imagine that is thrilling to Bettman

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Bettman+as+Montgomery+Burns.jpg

I love Matthews. Great to see Arizona of all places putting out some talent. I have to imagine that is thrilling to Bettman

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Interesting, this early it's a pretty big advantage to be a late '97 over the early '98s as far as exposure goes. Chychrun and Benson have barely cut their teeth in junior hockey (have looked pretty good in what they have played) so I don't know how one claims a clear favourite to go first overall this early but it's always fun to learn the names early.

McDavid had two assists tonight, tried a slick Forsberg style attempt in the shootout but the goalie made a nice save. Speaking of late '97s eligible for the '16 draft, McDavid's teammate DeBrincat has 10 goals in his first 7 OHL games. Too bad he's 5'7".

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
RedLine Top 12 October

1.Connor McDavid Erie
2.Jack Eichel BU
3. Noah Hanifin BC
4.Oliver Kylinton Farjestad
5.Paul Bittner Portland
6.Mitch Marner London
7.Pavel Zacha Sarnia
8.Travis Konecny Ottawa
9.Jeremy Roy Sherbrooke
10.Matt Brarzal Seattle
11.Evgeni Svechnikov Cape Breton
12.Colin White USNTD U-18

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Mitchell Marner

Prior to being selected by the Knights Marner played is Minor Midget hockey for the Don Mills Flyers of the GTHL. In 55 games with the Flyers he scored 41 goals and added 45 assists. His 86 points were second in the GTHL. It was here that the 5’7†135 pounder (at the time) showed that he had elite playmaking abilities. But, he could also put the puck in the net.

Was he considered small at the time? Without question. He arrived at his first Knights’ camp at 5’10†and 165 pounds. The Knights now list him at 5’11†and 164 pounds. There’s still some room to grow.

His playmaking can be described as Imaginative. He has an uncanny ability to turn nothing into something and he does it with such poise and never seems to get rattled. It helps that his vision is exceptional and his hockey IQ elite. He’s evasive with or without the puck. If you’re playing with Marner you better be prepared for a pass because he sees the game two steps ahead of the play. He’s an excellent skater with quick first strides and reaches top speed quickly.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/mitchell-marner-player-profile-london-knights

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Vande Sompel’s skating is elite. His first steps are very quick and he gets to top speed quickly. He’s also an elite backwards skater with excellent lateral movement. His speed allows him to close gaps quickly and effectively but his lack of upper body strength doesn’t allow him to push opponents off the puck.

Vande Sompel is excellent in his decision making. He can make clean crisp first passes but quickly reads when they aren’t there. His elite skating and excellent stickhandling then allows him to rush the puck up ice, entering the offensive zone with relative ease. Instinctively, he knows when to join the rush with almost no risk.

“I like to think I’m more of a Torey Krug type, who’s a bit under-sized, who makes plays, so that’s what I want to be like,†says Vande Sompel, comparing himself to the Boston Bruins defenceman. “Obviously I’m an offensive defenceman, so I need to keep creating points and plays, but I’ve got to make sure I’m responsible in my own zone too. Just because I’m under-sized I need to be smart and keep playing the way I am.â€

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/mitchell-vande-sompel-player-profile-oshawa-generals

The term “stud†defenseman has followed Spencer around for a couple of seasons now. He has elite hockey senses, very good size at 6’2â€, and is an elite skater. His gap control and defensive positioning is excellent, and his first pass is matched by very few. Spencer can log large minutes and plays in any situation.

Spencer is an able puck carrier able to transition from defense to offense. But he shows a lack of confidence in doing so or rather, when to. Once he gains more experience and confidence in his ability to do so, he'll do well with it.

It’s not often that you find a player isolation video, especially one that is playing in Midget, but Dave Webb and our friends at thescout.ca have just that.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/matt-spencer-player-profile-peterborough-petes

member 96824

Man, the draft talent between BU and BC this year is just stupid good. Can't wait to make it to those games

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I'd be a little worried about Marner fitting the Bruins mould based on a couple things I've heard. Plus Pastrnak and Griffith kind of have the small, skilled right wing thing covered. His talent is off the charts though, should be well gone by the time the Bruins are picking.

Travis Konecny's slow start is really suprising me. I was expecting him to have a monster year. I'm wondering if he could be slipping at all.

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
November ISS Top 30

1 McDavid, Connor C Erie OHL
2 Eichel, Jack C Boston University H.E.
3 Hanifin, Noah LD Boston College H.E.
4 Brazal, Mathew C Seattle WHL
5 Strome, Dylan C Erie OHL
6 Werenski, Zach RD Michigan BigTen
7 Kylington, Oliver RD Farhestad SweE
8 Zacha, Pavel C Sarnia OHL
9 Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston OHL
10 Konecny, Travis C Ottawa OHL
11 Connor, Kyle C Youngstown USHL
12 Rantanen, Mikko RW TPS Turku FinE
13 Marner, Mitchell C London OHL
14 Greenway, Jordan LW USA Under-18 NTDP
15 Bittner, Paul LW Portland WHL
16 White, Colin RW USA Under-18 NTDP
17 Bracco, Jeremy RW USA Under-18 NTDP
18 Sprong, Daniel RW Charlottetown QMJHL
19 Svechnikov, Evgeny RW Cape Breton QMJHL
20 Provorov, Ivan LD Brandon WHL
21 Carlsson, Gabriel D Linkoping SweJE
22 Spencer, Matthew RD Peterborough OHL
23 Roy, Nicolas C Chicoutimi QMJHL
24 Korostelev, Nikita RW Sarnia OHL
25 Harkins, Jansen C/LW Prince George WHL
26 Gropp, Ryan LW Seattle WHL
27 Roy, Jeremy RD Sherbrooke QMJHL
28 Knott, Graham LW Niagara OHL
29 Fischer, Christian C USA Under-18 NTDP
30 Boeser, Brock C Waterloo USHL

member 96824

Expecting Korostelev to break the top 15 I think...definitely the top 20.

Unless Nicolas Roy picks it up, I'd expect him out of the top 30 by Christmas...although as Dr. Q reminded me, GM's have a love affair with size.

Think Marner's too low and Werenski is too high...over Kylington? Doubt it....but that's what makes these things fun!

Not ISS related...but T minus two months before Button has Eichel over McDavid. Over/Under is World Juniors like usual..right?

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Overager watch:

Undrafted Tyson Baillie has 10 goals in his first 8 games.

Kelowna started the year with some seriously huge offensive numbers.

Him and Nick Merkley. Merkley 17 yr old now leading WHL.

Sshh...Merkley steal of Draft.

And that Bailey kid can play.

member 96824

Him and Nick Merkley. Merkley 17 yr old now leading WHL.

Sshh...Merkley steal of Draft.

And that Bailey kid can play.

Merkley is definitely the real deal.

It's a little tough to get a gauge on these Kelowna kids though, that team is so stacked offensively.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Didn't Neely say the Bruins had Eichel at #1 right now? Stuff like that really worries me about the Bruins drafting strategy. It's almost like they've completely written off the CHL, the best development league/s in the world for hockey.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Didn't Neely say the Bruins had Eichel at #1 right now? Stuff like that really worries me about the Bruins drafting strategy. It's almost like they've completely written off the CHL, the best development league/s in the world for hockey.

Best league for draft exposure for sure, development? That's across the pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad