Official 2015 Bruins Draft Thread II

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thanks for clarifying. What then could we have offered? Hamilton for the pick I suppose?

Yes, Hamilton was being talked about going to Arizona but either Arizona balked or the Bruins/Hamilton said no. Smart money is on Arizona saying no, seeing as they already have a young franchise dman but don't have a stud center and their monetary constraints.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Yes, Hamilton was being talked about going to Arizona but either Arizona balked or the Bruins/Hamilton said no. Smart money is on Arizona saying no, seeing as they already have a young franchise dman but don't have a stud center and their monetary constraints.

Seems like they were just entertaining the Bruins and people don't see this. Any talk of Hamilton must be from the Bruins end and they struck out. We have nobody that can rival Dylan Strome after all we don't have Joe Colborne anymore.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
CId50MYWIAA792R.jpg:large
As an aside, did anyone see P.J. Axelsson's hair-do at the draft? What a beaut!

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
It looks like he is thinking..."that 2nd burrito was a big mistake....I can't hold this in any longer"

Bruinz33

Feb 13, 2014
Southern, NH
That's a good article? Nothing there but a couple of sentences that have been covered/reported by legitimate scouting services. I found this quote amusing:

"I found Karlsson to be inconsistent and that will definitely be something he will need to work on"

This jives with the other scouting reports but this Boston kid allegedly see's enough USHL action to warrant that opinion? What is his sample size of games watched? Here is the first sentence of the Elite Prospects page:

"A player who has worked hard at his all-around game, but needs to gain more consistency"

Ya I couldn't tell ya how much USHL hockey he watches. I thought it just gave a good brief overview of the players drafted.

Bruzin

Jan 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
I was reading opinions on Keith Gretzky's time with the Coyotes and many of the fans had issues with how often he reached for players.

A post in the 'Will Keith Gretzky be held accountable?' thread sounds too familiar:

I think all of us feel cheated that our scouting department continues to "reach" for players when they could get them later.

I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I'm sure that we could have gotten Ruutu's kid in the 4th or later rounds.

this reminds me of the draft when we selected Staal in the 2nd round (he was projected in the 4-5) and we took him early 2nd.

Even in their 2015 draft thread, Coyotes fans were puzzled by the Bruins' selections until this revelation:

Ah, didn't realize Keith Gretzky is director of amateur scouting for Boston.

Gretzky has drafted well within the top 10, but not so well after that. Maybe management instability or budget constraints impacted Gretzky's results in Phoenix, but it looks like he hasn't stopped reaching for prospects. Those reaches didn't pan out for Phoenix. It's a trend we may want to keep our eyes on.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Gretzky's 1st round record with Arizona is very mixed in 2006-2011. Some brutal whiffs, like getting Gormley right before Schwartz and Tarasenko. Some high picks who never became NHL players. Picking OEL does redeem himself a bit. If two or three of the Bruins first rounders from this year bust while Barzal reaches his potential, oh boy...

That Danton Heinen though, where the hell did that come from :D. Only Larkin and Eichel scored more points as freshmen. Hope he keeps it up and turns into pro soon.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Gretzky has drafted well within the top 10, but not so well after that. Maybe management instability or budget constraints impacted Gretzky's results in Phoenix, but it looks like he hasn't stopped reaching for prospects. Those reaches didn't pan out for Phoenix. It's a trend we may want to keep our eyes on.
None of the guys the Bruins picked after Senyshyn were really considered reaches, though.

And Gretzky hit a home run on Pastrnak last year. And I still like/love the Donato, Heinen, and Bjork picks.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
None of the guys the Bruins picked after Senyshyn were really considered reaches, though.

And Gretzky hit a home run on Pastrnak last year. And I still like/love the Donato, Heinen, and Bjork picks.

I'm not even convinced that Johansson is a total loss. The kid played in the SEL as an 18 yr old, and was rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick by a lot of "draftniks". What I heard from another source was that he fell because the tools are there, but the hockey sense is not great. If he could surprise, I think 2014 was a helluva draft.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Overall I'm satisfied with our draft picks, however, I would have rather we had taken another RHD in the 1st or 2nd round.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Overall I'm satisfied with our draft picks, however, I would have rather we had taken another RHD in the 1st or 2nd round.

Sounds like the B's are pretty high on Trotman and acquired Colin Miller, and then they took Carlo. That's three young RH's. Could be why they went LH for the other two?

Really happy with the D they acquired or drafted.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Sounds like the B's are pretty high on Trotman and acquired Colin Miller, and then they took Carlo. That's three young RH's. Could be why they went LH for the other two?

Really happy with the D they acquired or drafted.

Not sure it was that or just taking the best Dman on the board with those picks. There's a few d men in the system who are all left shots that will be ready before the 3 in rounds 1-2

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not sure it was that or just taking the best Dman on the board with those picks. There's a few d men in the system who are all left shots that will be ready before the 3 in rounds 1-2

If you are talking about Morrow, maybe? Not a huge fan.

If you are referring to Grzelcyk and O'Gara, they are obviously older, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that they will make it before Zboril or Lauzon.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If you are talking about Morrow, maybe? Not a huge fan.

If you are referring to Grzelcyk and O'Gara, they are obviously older, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that they will make it before Zboril or Lauzon.

I was talking about the latter with Arnesson also in the mix.both grzcelyk and o gara will be pros after next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see o gara as an NHL option following his senior year. A handful of college juniors and seniors are good enough to make the direct jump and o gara strikes me as a guy ready to do that considering his steady development in college at this point. Even if they both need a year in the AHL, that's just 2 years. I think it'll be tough for LAUZON and ZBORIL to leapfrog them considering their age. Maybe they beat them there, but still, there is a lot of promising LHD that should be ready within 3 years and only a couple RHD.

LHD
ARNESSON
ZBORIL
O GARA
LAUZON
GRZCELYK
MORROW

RHD
TROTMAN
CARLO
MILLER

although in o garas case I believe he plays the right side in Yale, not sure if it's out of preference or necessity though as opposite side dmen aren't very common

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone of those you mentioned can make it. I think as long as they have a big body to start and then a code hockey sense.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Evidently Barzal tore it up at the Islanders rookie camp. I don't think we're going to be able to let that one go.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Evidently Barzal tore it up at the Islanders rookie camp. I don't think we're going to be able to let that one go.

Thanks for your help.

I believe anyone that is okay with the Bruins' picks hasn't said Barzal is a dud.

If you already have a pair of Nikes and you need a pair of Adidas do you pick Nike when presented with both?

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

Of course we won't. At the U18 it was scary to see how much Barzal was better then everyone, just two level higher than anyone.

Doesn't means our two little project can't turn to be NHLer, or even better than Barzal in the long run (who knows :dunno:) but as of now Barzal could skate circle arround them without trying too much and of course, as Bruins fans, it's not something we like to see.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Barzal may turn out to be a great player, he may not. But no one should be the least bit surprised Barzal stole the show at a development camp.

He is a small, slick skating creative player. He excels in skills that are on display in rookie camp where there is little to no hitting, and no defense.

I don't want to come across like I don't like him. I actually do like Barzal, but the questions for him will come when the intensity of the game picks up and guys are clobbering him all over the ice

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Barzal may turn out to be a great player, he may not. But no one should be the least bit surprised Barzal stole the show at a development camp.

He is a small, slick skating creative player. He excels in skills that are on display in rookie camp where there is little to no hitting, and no defense.

I don't want to come across like I don't like him. I actually do like Barzal, but the questions for him will come when the intensity of the game picks up and guys are clobbering him all over the ice

I don't see him becoming anything less than a strong offensive 3rd line center. He's fast, good IQ, works hard, plays two way hockey and he's not smaller than Debrusk.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don't see him becoming anything less than a strong offensive 3rd line center. He's fast, good IQ, works hard, plays two way hockey and he's not smaller than Debrusk.

Said the same thing about zach hamil. But he turned out to be much less.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Said the same thing about zach hamil. But he turned out to be much less.

I see what you mean, but Hamill was slow and not a two way treat by any mean. His skillset had an easier time translating into a top 6 role than a shutdown guy.

Edit: Hamill also played shutgun with Peter Mueller his good season and drop from 93pts to 75 without him his post draft season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad