OT: Official 2014 Patriots/NFL Thread - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the right decision when they said he could play this week or the right decision when they said he could have nothing to do with the team and will not play after major sponsors were going to pull the cash?

Exactly. You get one chance to do the right thing, and they didn't. Doing so after partners have exerted pressure isn't you doing the right thing. It's you realizing money is at stake and scrambling to protect your own financial interests. Radisson pulled their sponsorship, Bud threatened to pull theirs. The Vikings doing the right thing after that comes off as hollow.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
the right decision when they said he could play this week or the right decision when they said he could have nothing to do with the team and will not play after major sponsors were going to pull the cash?

He is too good a player for them to make the correct decision right off the bat. At least he didn't play this week. They got it right after getting it wrong but again he is the best player in the league and if the injuries to the child were any less significant (bruises on his backside instead of face for instance) his supporters would encompass over half of the general public IMO. If Ray Rice slapped his fiance with the palm of his hand and not a closed fist a lot of people would be defending him vehemently as well.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Before we crucify the Vikings here, we have to realize the thought process.

The story broke friday, they dealt with it, and it appeared it was going to subside a bit and play out in court.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings didn't have a clue about the second case. Because of this, they're getting burned for what was in my opinion, an alright decision to make.

Edit: Never mind, they knew. This ****ing league, man.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
The way I interpreted Bush's comments were that he would hit his daughter as a form of punishment in the future, not that he currently does considering she's only one year old.

“I most definitely discipline my daughter,†he said on WFAN. “I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her,†he said. “I definitely will try to — will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on what the situation is.â€

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Kaitlyn Ross 11AliveVerified account ‏@kaitlynross1

#Breaking: attorney Gloria Allred will hold a news conference in ATL about a NEW allegation of domestic violence in the NFL this afternoon

Good lord. I'm really hoping this isn't reliable.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I gotta admit, sad as it is, Shank nails it here IMO.

Amid outrage, NFL keeps counting its money
Anybody out there willing to take a stand by boycotting professional football? No more going to games, no more watching on television, no more fantasy football? Didn’t think so. True change could take place if ratings dipped and/or sponsors pulled out, but we all know that is not going to happen.

The NFL will weather this big storm until the hysteria subsides. The league can do it because that’s what the fans ultimately want. I haven’t heard anyone say they want to give up their weekly professional football fix.

It goes on everywhere. It is a societal problem, not just an NFL problem.

This has been an awful 10 days for the NFL, but let’s not kid ourselves. We love football. We will go to the games and watch the games and interact with everything the league offers. We are the Roman Republic, circa 60 BC, and these are our gladiators.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...g-its-money/1r1teKwWsN7L3WcItzHKkK/story.html

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
He is too good a player for them to make the correct decision right off the bat. At least he didn't play this week. They got it right after getting it wrong but again he is the best player in the league and if the injuries to the child were any less significant (bruises on his backside instead of face for instance) his supporters would encompass over half of the general public IMO. If Ray Rice slapped his fiance with the palm of his hand and not a closed fist a lot of people would be defending him vehemently as well.

That sentence is exatly what the problem is.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

#Breaking: attorney Gloria Allred will hold a news conference in ATL about a NEW allegation of domestic violence in the NFL this afternoon

Consider the source. She's the biggest ambulance chaser/attention seeker around...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I don't think the NFL has to be a beacon of morality for society. They just have to fit in with the values of society.

The team now has no chance of sniffing the post season and a guy like Cassel who could be serviceable with Peterson playing is a clear cut bottom 5 QB without him.

Many fans of the team will only respect the move to cut Peterson if the team had no other choice at all. The Vikings waiting that extra day or two probably made their fanbase less angry at the team and more supportive going forward because most likely did not and still do not want to accept what AP has done. But you aren't a Vikings fan. You are someone who wants a sports team you don't root for to set a precedent and example for society in general. So its easy for you to demand a team flush its season down the drain and at the same time antagonize its fanbase because you made the decision he had to be cut sooner than many.

Remember its fine and dandy you came to your conclusions on this matter quicker than others. Give yourself a pat on the back. But in the upcoming days there will be players and personalities still defending him.

Once it was clear that Petersons conduct was far and away beyond a family and personol problem they made the right choice. The fact that sponsors and fans helped them come to that conclusion really doesn't condemn them in my books.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I don't think the NFL has to be a beacon of morality for society. They just have to fit in with the values of society.

The team now has no chance of sniffing the post season and a guy like Cassel who could be serviceable with Peterson playing is a clear cut bottom 5 QB without him.

Many fans of the team will only respect the move to cut Peterson if the team had no other choice at all. The Vikings waiting that extra day or two probably made their fanbase less angry at the team and more supportive going forward because most likely did not and still do not want to accept what AP has done. But you aren't a Vikings fan. You are someone who wants a sports team you don't root for to set a precedent and example for society in general. So its easy for you to demand a team flush its season down the drain and at the same time antagonize its fanbase because you made the decision he had to be cut sooner than many.

Remember its fine and dandy you came to your conclusions on this matter quicker than others. Give yourself a pat on the back. But in the upcoming days there will be players and personalities still defending him.

Once it was clear that Petersons conduct was far and away beyond a family and personol problem they made the right choice. The fact that sponsors and fans helped them come to that conclusion really doesn't condemn them in my books.

I don't give a rat's ass about if they will or will not make the post season. That should have nothing to do with this conversation. The facts are the guy beat his helpless child and is being charged for it and admitted to it. He should be cut on the spot by the NFL if not the Vikings.

I don't care if it was a team I was a fan of or not I would feel the same way regardless. If anyone on the Bruins was to do the same and it came out I would want them cut out of the NHL on the spot period. If that mean't the B's coming in last instead of winning the cup that year I wouldn't give a ****.

When a team only does something because the sponsers and majorty of the fanbase is afor it that shows the true colors of the team GM and ownership.

Beating children is unacceptable period and anyone doing it should lose their job and go to jail. a spanking is one thing but beating a kid bloody is grounds for termination in any professsion and more so in one where you are considered a pubic figure.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

I'm surprised she didn't crawl out from her hole sooner. She's a damn vulture who thrives on this stuff.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Yup.

Aaron Hernandez was just as good and the Patriots had no problem dropping him less than an hour after he was arrested. They didn't wait to see what happened.

Teams need to stop waiting for the league to make the decision for them.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't bother. You are talking to the one guy that thinks Aaron Herndandez should still be in the NFL but is simply the victim of racism.

NONE OF THAT IS MADE UP OR EXAGGERATED.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Don't bother. You are talking to the one guy that thinks Aaron Herndandez should still be in the NFL but is simply the victim of racism.

NONE OF THAT IS MADE UP OR EXAGGERATED.

This is disturbing.

I can't say the rest of it or I'll get banned.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Yup.

Aaron Hernandez was just as good and the Patriots had no problem dropping him less than an hour after he was arrested.

Teams need to stop waiting for the league to make the decision for them.

They cut him because they got the tip he was going to be charged with 1st degree murder (remember, at the time most people thought conspiracy) and was not going to be available for a long time one way or another, so let's not go patting anyone on the back too much there....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They cut him because they got the tip he was going to be charged with 1st degree murder (remember, at the time most people thought conspiracy) and was not going to be available for a long time one way or another, so let's not go patting anyone on the back too much there....

If they had not cut him, they could have saved themselves a lot of cap space and dead money simply by waiting for the league to suspend him. By cutting him, they actually took a hit in terms of that, so don't discount the negatives they experienced by acting early. Of course a part of it was public spin, but they at least did the right thing from the start. They didn't use "due process" as an excuse to not act like the Vikings did.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
If they had not cut him, they could have saved themselves a lot of cap space and dead money simply by waiting for the league to suspend him. By cutting him, they actually took a hit in terms of that, so don't discount the negatives they experienced by acting early. Of course a part of it was public spin, but they at least did the right thing from the start. They didn't use "due process" as an excuse to not act like the Vikings did.

great point.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Not sure what we're missing here.

Child abuse is beyond ****ing wrong. I don't see another side to this argument.

That is my point. Some are posting saying the Vikings got it right. They did not. Monday proved that at least until the sponsors started dropping like flies then they decided it was wrong to keep him playing.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That is my point. Some are posting saying the Vikings got it right. They did not. Monday proved that at least until the sponsors started dropping like flies then they decided it was wrong to keep him playing.

Even then they had the league bail them out. If they really felt he should be gone, they would have cut him. They didn't. They waited for the league to suspend him and take them off the hook. It's why I think giving them credit for doing the right thing is absurd in this case.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Would the league have suspended him??? (half serious half joke) :help:

No way Bob Kraft wanted a guy being listed on the nightly news as "New England Patriots tight end and accused murderer Aaron Hernandez" even for a minute. He'll take the hit in the wallet to avoid that. And you can bet Stacy James was on the phone to any news outlet who slipped up on that to get a correction.

I'm gonna tell you, any crime that involves a chance of bail, an owner's thinking twice about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad