OT: Official 2013 Patriots/NFL Thread-Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The problem is, 'selling out' as Felger says doesn't guarantee a super bowl.

Also, did Baltimore really 'sell out' to win the super bowl 2 years ago? I don't recall a lot of high priced free agents.

Of course he's over selling the "selling out" argument. I still think they need some more DB help. I think the with wilfork, mayo coming back it will be huge.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I don't think this team is far away, a few good moves and they should be in the hunt again next year.

Agreed.. I don't know exactly what Felger meant about selling out, but the defense if it stays healthy they could make a good run at it. I think maybe 1 more part on the defense, 1-2 more players on the offense.

acr*

Yep.

2003 Sox hurt, but they came back next year and won.

2010 Bruins was crushing, but that loss shaped the team into the Champs the following year.

The 2007 Pats is a loss that can never be made any better. That'll hurt forever. Even beating the Giants in 2012 wouldn't have done it. It would've helped ease the pain, but that 2007 Pats loss is a scar forever.
I can't even listen to Tom Petty anymore.

If "I Won't Back Down" comes on the radio, I get PTSD.

That game was the worst. And it's absolutely a choke. **** you Asante Samuel and Nick Kazcur.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
The problem is, 'selling out' as Felger says doesn't guarantee a super bowl.

Also, did Baltimore really 'sell out' to win the super bowl 2 years ago? I don't recall a lot of high priced free agents.
Bernard Pollard was basically the only guy signed for that year.
Signing Flacco to the big contract is why they went to 8-8. Thats when they sold out and had to cut and not re-sign players.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Bernard Pollard was basically the only guy signed for that year.
Signing Flacco to the big contract is why they went to 8-8. Thats when they sold out and had to cut and not re-sign players.

So they didn't 'sell out' to win the superbowl and signing Flacco probably cost them a trip to the playoffs.

While the Patriots could spend more, do we really want them missing the playoffs? Fans might say yes, but when it happens everyone will be *****ing about it.

hocky

Apr 8, 2011
It's not like Baltimore stomped everybody they played when they won the SB. They went on an awful skid at the end of the regular season and it took a miracle for them to beat Denver. Winning the Superbowl is less about "selling out" than it is about getting hot at the right time and just plain getting lucky as well.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
So they didn't 'sell out' to win the superbowl and signing Flacco probably cost them a trip to the playoffs.

While the Patriots could spend more, do we really want them missing the playoffs? Fans might say yes, but when it happens everyone will be *****ing about it.

If it meant them winning another Super Bowl, then yes, I could deal with them missing the playoffs for one year. But who says that would even happen? I don't but that a team with Brady and Belichick would miss the playoffs, especially in that division. It never hurt them in years passed when they have seemingly loaded up in the off-season. But even if loading up for the next year or two meant risking a decline for another year or two after that, you have to take into account this team's window with Brady. After Brady leaves, and eventually Belichick, there is no guarantee that this team stays as competitive as they have been. Could they find another great QB, or at least a decent enough one? Sure, but that is not something to bank on. They need to be focused on winning at least one more with this coach, QB combination. And then you can start retooling with that next group of players, whenever this era inevitably comes to an end.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
I have no problem with the idea of busting the cap to go for it. Its giving examples of other teams that supposedly did and won.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
I have no problem with the idea of busting the cap to go for it. Its giving examples of other teams that supposedly did and won.

You know what's a longer list? Teams that did that and didn't win and got stuck in cap hell for years. Dallas, Washington, Oakland (early 2000s edition), Jets...

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
You know what's a longer list? Teams that did that and didn't win and got stuck in cap hell for years. Dallas, Washington, Oakland (early 2000s edition), Jets...
Exactly. I'll take the so called Patriot
way of doing things.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It's not like Baltimore stomped everybody they played when they won the SB. They went on an awful skid at the end of the regular season and it took a miracle for them to beat Denver. Winning the Superbowl is less about "selling out" than it is about getting hot at the right time and just plain getting lucky as well.

Brady had his second TERRIBLE AFC Championship game against them for the second straight year. I wouldn't call Baltimore lucky since they should have been in the Super Bowl the year before. Pats were routing them too and then fell apart.

Brady's play in the 2 AFC Championships against Baltimore, the Divisional round game against the Jets, and the 2 games against the giants was awful for a star player and if Peyton Manning put up similar performances he'd have taken more heat than Brady did IMO.

Brady has really gotten no heat for when he has choked which is somewhat odd considering how much **** Manning has caught for his last games of the season his 2 years in Denver.

Agreed on overpaying Flacco though. Especially considering the same Franchise walked away from Dilfer after he won a Super Bowl. They will be mediocre going forward its hard to gauge them in relation to us but I think they are basically another Pittsburgh. Perrenial 8-8 or 9-7 team.

The Pats just click in December. Belichick and Brady are just Mr Decembers they know how to win games when good teams like Denver and New Orleans are overconfident and full of themselves.

We should make another Super Bowl before Brady retires but unfortunately it will probably be against a power team and I'm not sure we win. If he couldn't beat those ****** giants teams I don't see us beating Seattle or SF.

The 2 giants teams who beat us are UNQUESTIONABLY the worst Super Bowl winners in the last 25 years. The next 2 are the 2 Pitt teams who luckily ducked the Pats. And then either 90 Skins or 91 Giants. But without a doubt we lost to 2 really really really ****** teams in the big game.

Again I have no idea how Brady has escaped getting labelled a choker when you see the **** hes lost to. 05 Denver loss and 06 Colts loss he played fine but hes been ****ing awful since that in the games we get eliminated in. I'd say this year was the first where he wasn't the difference between winning and losing Denver would have beaten us no matter what really.

Edit- sorry for the rant and all just TB12 has not been clutch at all since he turned into the best regular season QB in the game. And for as bad as Flacco is in relation to his contract he was the better QB in both AFC Championship games.

Last edited:

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
Positions that need the most upgrading:

C, RG - The interior line was god awful and has been god awful in big games for a while now. Solder, Vollmer, and Mankins are fine at the other 3 spots but Mankins has a tendency to whiff in big games as well, he needs to play better in those spots.

DE, DT - I like Ninkovich as a player but he'll never be the dominant guy you need coming off the edge. That said, they aren't upgrading that spot. DT is a must upgrade. This team gets no pressure up the middle and who knows what Wilfork gives next year, if he's even back (which I think he will be at a reduced cap number.)

SS - Again, they've needed this for a while, don't need an explanation.

2nd TE - Need another receiving threat at TE, especially if Gronk keeps getting injured.

Also need a corner if Talib doesn't get resigned but the 2 biggest needs on the team are in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad