Official 2012-2013 Florida Panthers Season Thread

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Figured this needed to be started, some news going around and there is no official thread to talk about it in.

Weaver supposedly hurt himself during scrimmage today.

Santos says Svatos and Kovalev will probably be signed.

Scrimmage ends in a 0-0 tie.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Figured this needed to be started, some news going around and there is no official thread to talk about it in.

Weaver supposedly hurt himself during scrimmage today.

Santos says Svatos and Kovalev will probably be signed.

Scrimmage ends in a 0-0 tie.

You sure? Seems like we have 5 or 6 threads to talk about the same things. :laugh:

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
don't know whether it's right thread to post this in, but still... Andrei Kostitsyn claims that he will join Panthers once the KHL season is up, like Radulov did last year. via Sovetsky Sport.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
Where did you hear this?

When does KHL season end?

Sovetsky Sport is a russian newspaper. it quotes Pressball, a belarussian newspaper, on this.
regular season is up Feb 17, but Traktor is making the playoffs. it is a good team, so expect it to make through a round or two.
1st round ends Mar 5 at the latest, 2nd Mar 20, 3rd Apr 4, Finals Apr 19.

Jan 19, 2006
Sovetsky Sport is a russian newspaper. it quotes Pressball, a belarussian newspaper, on this.
regular season is up Feb 17, but Traktor is making the playoffs. it is a good team, so expect it to make through a round or two.
1st round ends Mar 5 at the latest, 2nd Mar 20, 3rd Apr 4, Finals Apr 19.

So if he does come it will only be in time to make a late futile run and screw up our hard fought draft position...

We're a rather cynical bunch here. ;)

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Wouldn't mind the other AK singing with us (if the FA crop looks bad), I just hope he doesn't turn into a potential problem on and off the ice.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Heheh - Florida opera panthers on ice!

Come watch the sorrowful singing ballad between Stanley C. Panther
and Allison Williams!

***Signing***

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Andrew DeWitt ‏@DeWittCBS
#FlaPanthers Dale Tallon tells @FriedgeHNIC that he is NOT trading Stephen Weiss and he's going to try to re-sign him. Interesting.

Makes sense. We don't have the depth at center to replace him just yet.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So if he does come it will only be in time to make a late futile run and screw up our hard fought draft position...

We're a rather cynical bunch here. ;)

Exactly.:laugh: Who says the Panthers are inconsistent lol?

Makes sense. We don't have the depth at center to replace him just yet.

I saw that hotstove segment and Friedman did say that, but he also said he's heard that Weiss is available for the right price. Then MacLean let the everyone on the panel comment on it, and they all said they heard that Tallon has had conversations with other GMs about Weiss. Obviously a lot will depend on where the Panthers are in the standings at the trade deadline. I think Tallon wants to re-sign him, but if he gets a terrific offer at the deadline, it might be too tempting to pass up. We could potentially get a pretty good haul.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Exactly.:laugh: Who says the Panthers are inconsistent lol?

I saw that hotstove segment and Friedman did say that, but he also said he's heard that Weiss is available for the right price. Then MacLean let the everyone on the panel comment on it, and they all said they heard that Tallon has had conversations with other GMs about Weiss. Obviously a lot will depend on where the Panthers are in the standings at the trade deadline. I think Tallon wants to re-sign him, but if he gets a terrific offer at the deadline, it might be too tempting to pass up. We could potentially get a pretty good haul.

As long as Weiss agrees to the trade. If he says I am staying here until the end of my contract then going to free agency we are screwed.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
As long as Weiss agrees to the trade. If he says I am staying here until the end of my contract then going to free agency we are screwed.

Well, that's true. So Kostitsyn joins us in March, bumping us down from #1 overall to #3-4, and Weiss refuses to waive his clause and then leaves in free agency. Perfect.;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I saw that hotstove segment and Friedman did say that, but he also said he's heard that Weiss is available for the right price. Then MacLean let the everyone on the panel comment on it, and they all said they heard that Tallon has had conversations with other GMs about Weiss. Obviously a lot will depend on where the Panthers are in the standings at the trade deadline. I think Tallon wants to re-sign him, but if he gets a terrific offer at the deadline, it might be too tempting to pass up. We could potentially get a pretty good haul.[/QUOTE]

I saw this too during the Leafs-Bruins intermission.

Ottawa and Vancouver are rumoured. Possibly Toronto?? We will get a better answer at the deadline. Tallon has alot of pieces to offer other teams, it'll be interesting to see what happens with #9.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What do we do with the players that are UFA's or RFA's next year and whether we re-sign them(Term and Salary) or trade them(Worth) at the deadline:

Weiss- I feel Dale has a good idea of what Weiss wants and if it doesn't fit his plan, #9 may be a vacant number by the trade deadline. My personal opinion is to agressively hint to Weiss that we want him back and offer a 2-3 year deal @ $5million in the off-season. I feel his loyalty is more true than Bouwmeesters was in this situation years ago. Possibly let him know he has the 'C' locked up when Jovo hangs them up. Weiss could attract a 1st round pick and AHL player.

Matthias- I'd like Dale to re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal @ $1.7million to $2million. He has gotten quicker, stronger and provides a solid 3rd or 4th line role. He needs to contribute more consistiently on offense, I'd hope for 20-30pt seasons from him.

Mueller - Along with Matthias is a RFA but would also like him re-signed to a 2-3 year deal @ $2 to $2.5 million. A signng bonus if he keeps the flow. Mueller has the ability to put up 40-50pt seasons if he remains healthy. An amazing fit on that line with Huberdeau and Shore. Soft hands, speed and hungry to play and a team first guy.

Skille - I love Skille sometimes and other times he is lost I feel. Needs to hit the net more, he's famous for cutting into zone and shooting wide everytime. He plays a hard nosed game and has ability to dump and chase or skate the puck in. Injuries hurt his long term appeal. 1 yr qualifying offer, match it if its not outrgeous. Would love him playing with Goc and Kopecky for the rest of this season and next.

Smithson - Decent faceoff man but i feel his role could be filled by one or many prospects waiting in the wings....BJUGSTAD!!!!! Smithson isn't a good fit moving forward with Dale's plan and team makeup.

Ellerby - I feel a 2year @ $2 to $2.5 million deal is in order for #4, he has decent showings for the most part and although mistakes happen, they occur less frequently than in the past. Fights when necessary and I feel his overall game will improve.

Strachan - Re-sign him to a 1 yr deal at least @ $700,000 to $850,000. Physical game with a decent shot, steady and reliable for the most part and is always a better choice than Jovo or Weaver moving forward.

Santorelli - THANKS BUT NO THANKS, trade for a 4th-5th round pick if possible otherwise let a team offer him a better qualifying offer and force him to take it.

Robak - Re-sign him to 2-3 year deal @ $1.5million, he has the ability to make the team and could become the 7th man next year if Weaver is gone or Jovo retires.

Markstrom - 2year deal @ $2 million is fair value for him at this point. I hope he pans out to become our franchise goalie and needs more starts this year with the Panthers. Hopefully 5-6 games this year, no more spoon feeding him.

Theodore - Re-sign him for 1 year @ $1.5 to $2million and be the #1 again next year as Markstrom transitions over through next year.

TRADE:
WEAVER, BERGENHEIM (IF HE CAN'T SORT OUT THIS GREIVANCE SITUATION), CLEMMENSEN, SANTORELLI, SMITHSON AND UPSHALL (HE ISNT DURABLE ENOUGH @ $3.5MILLION)

BUYOUT:
JOVO IF POSSIBLE :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
What do we do with the players that are UFA's or RFA's next year and whether we re-sign them(Term and Salary) or trade them(Worth) at the deadline:

Weiss- I feel Dale has a good idea of what Weiss wants and if it doesn't fit his plan, #9 may be a vacant number by the trade deadline. My personal opinion is to agressively hint to Weiss that we want him back and offer a 2-3 year deal @ $5million in the off-season. I feel his loyalty is more true than Bouwmeesters was in this situation years ago. Possibly let him know he has the 'C' locked up when Jovo hangs them up. Weiss could attract a 1st round pick and AHL player.

Matthias- I'd like Dale to re-sign him to a 2-3 year deal @ $1.7million to $2million. He has gotten quicker, stronger and provides a solid 3rd or 4th line role. He needs to contribute more consistiently on offense, I'd hope for 20-30pt seasons from him.

Mueller - Along with Matthias is a RFA but would also like him re-signed to a 2-3 year deal @ $2 to $2.5 million. A signng bonus if he keeps the flow. Mueller has the ability to put up 40-50pt seasons if he remains healthy. An amazing fit on that line with Huberdeau and Shore. Soft hands, speed and hungry to play and a team first guy.

Skille - I love Skille sometimes and other times he is lost I feel. Needs to hit the net more, he's famous for cutting into zone and shooting wide everytime. He plays a hard nosed game and has ability to dump and chase or skate the puck in. Injuries hurt his long term appeal. 1 yr qualifying offer, match it if its not outrgeous. Would love him playing with Goc and Kopecky for the rest of this season and next.

Smithson - Decent faceoff man but i feel his role could be filled by one or many prospects waiting in the wings....BJUGSTAD!!!!! Smithson isn't a good fit moving forward with Dale's plan and team makeup.

Ellerby - I feel a 2year @ $2 to $2.5 million deal is in order for #4, he has decent showings for the most part and although mistakes happen, they occur less frequently than in the past. Fights when necessary and I feel his overall game will improve.

Strachan - Re-sign him to a 1 yr deal at least @ $700,000 to $850,000. Physical game with a decent shot, steady and reliable for the most part and is always a better choice than Jovo or Weaver moving forward.

Santorelli - THANKS BUT NO THANKS, trade for a 4th-5th round pick if possible otherwise let a team offer him a better qualifying offer and force him to take it.

Robak - Re-sign him to 2-3 year deal @ $1.5million, he has the ability to make the team and could become the 7th man next year if Weaver is gone or Jovo retires.

Markstrom - 2year deal @ $2 million is fair value for him at this point. I hope he pans out to become our franchise goalie and needs more starts this year with the Panthers. Hopefully 5-6 games this year, no more spoon feeding him.

Theodore - Re-sign him for 1 year @ $1.5 to $2million and be the #1 again next year as Markstrom transitions over through next year.

TRADE:
WEAVER, BERGENHEIM (IF HE CAN'T SORT OUT THIS GREIVANCE SITUATION), CLEMMENSEN, SANTORELLI, SMITHSON AND UPSHALL (HE ISNT DURABLE ENOUGH @ $3.5MILLION)

BUYOUT:
JOVO IF POSSIBLE :sarcasm:

i agree with most of what you typed up except for a couple of things. Strachan should and will get more then 850k plus more. Either with the panthers or with another team. He has shown great confidence and poise with the puck. I think he gets a contract sort of like weaver - 1.1mil - 1.2mil x 2yrs - 1way. I would rather have him instead of weaver or jovo.

Ellerby will not sign another one year deal. I remember last year that tallon and co. were going to give ellerby a long shot and told him this is a make or break season. I also remember them riding him hard on his exit meeting last season. I think his agent will push for at least 2 + 3 years, this is his big rfa signing. the amount of games he has played should give tallon a good window to see where ellerby is ranked amongst the team + depth. He hasn't done anything that warrants him out of the lineup. I wouldn't mind having ellerby back on board, I feel he has alot of room to grow. If a very lopsided good trade proposal pops up with him in the mix then i say we should pull it! But I say we keep him and let him grow. I would like to sign him to a one year "prove your worth" contract, but his time is ticking.

Skille is just not worth it. He is another booth - without the scoring touch. I would rather have bergenheim or smithson back than skille. Too bad he is wrapped up in drama. Skille has all the tools to become something greater but he doesn't think the game the way he should. He has awesome speed + energy and provides that push around the net, but he doesn't make any of the players around him better + he does not finish chances. I still have hopes for him.

Resigning smithson wouldnt be a bad option. He could play wing as well, plus has good faceoff skills, if the center gets kicked out he can take it. He hits, skates hard and adds grit. Plays a solid quiet game. Him and matthias would be a good 4th line combo.

i don't think that upshall makes the team worse by any means. His contract is pretty bad I admit. He does provide grit and speed and he has the capablility to score when given the chance. If there is a trade option that makes us better then i say pull it!

The thing that I cannot wrap my head around is next year's center position.

Weiss (if he resigns,which I hope)
Shore
Goc
Matthias/Smithson?

Where do you think bjugs will fit in the equation? (that is if he makes the team of course) . Move goc down to the fourth line?

Weiss
Shore
Bjustad
Goc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad