Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All we had to do was keep Staal. Bonino(I was fine with that trade) and JEE would've been a decent but uninspiring middle six C group.

I could have made a better trade using Staal as my trading chip.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
How would that work if for instance Pit makes the playoffs this year. the draft is pushed back. Next season they miss and the pick turns into 3rd overall. Wouldn't the Pens throw a huge fit saying that we should've gotten a late first rounder? Same vice versa if they miss this year and make it next. Wouldn't the Wild be mad? I'm all for pushing back a draft 1 year but I just see a lot of headaches coming.
I have 0 idea at all. Unless you freeze the draft order ? I just know it’s on the table.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Just do two drafts next year if this is going to cause issues. They go by birthdates anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is. Do separate lottery based on this years standings. You could have a draft week! Two drafts in the same week, who says no?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Kaprizov isn't demanding a trade after 1 season. Plus Guerin has no control over how well the Pens play.
guerin had control over the conditions when the trade was made. i understand pens protecting the pick if they missed playoffs and won the lotto. i don't understand why guerin would agree to the pens keeping the #14 (i think ) pick last draft.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
guerin had control over the conditions when the trade was made. i understand pens protecting the pick if they missed playoffs and won the lotto. i don't understand why guerin would agree to the pens keeping the #14 (i think ) pick last draft.
Are these two statements contradicting themselves?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
nope. pens keep the pick ONLY if they win the lotto or top 10 protected. i think your just trying to rip me because you think guerin is the best gm in the nhl.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
nope. pens keep the pick ONLY if they win the lotto or top 10 protected. i think your just trying to rip me because you think guerin is the best gm in the nhl.
The pick was lottery protected... as in, if it's lottery eligible they could keep it.

The decision had to be made PRIOR to the lottery, not after.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
i don't understand why guerin would agree to the pens keeping the #14 (i think ) pick last draft.

(1) That wasn't up to Guerin. The condition was that if the Pens missed the playoffs (which they did), they had x amount of time to decide if they wanted to keep or trade that pick. THEY decided to keep the pick.

How would that work if for instance Pit makes the playoffs this year. the draft is pushed back. Next season they miss and the pick turns into 3rd overall. Wouldn't the Pens throw a huge fit saying that we should've gotten a late first rounder? Same vice versa if they miss this year and make it next. Wouldn't the Wild be mad? I'm all for pushing back a draft 1 year but I just see a lot of headaches coming.

(2) I think you're thinking into this too hard. It's not going to be one big draft from all reports. It's going to be a draft, wait a week and then another draft. So, if the Pens make the playoffs this year, Minnesota would get whatever mid-to-late 1st round pick would be.

Reactions: HotDish

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wouldn’t worry a whole lot about the form the draft takes. The 19 year old thing doesn’t seem realistic. You’d have a whole bunch of teams like Chicago and Detroit that would just lose a year of deeply needed high picks. The players and teams would never agree to it and the NHLPA has to agree. Whatever the resolution is, it will be made in a way to not screw teams; the whole reason people want to move the draft back is so teams can benefit from more viewings.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You remember last season Guerin got pissed when Russo tried to ask him about tanking. GM: We want to win games and I don't want to hear about this tank talk :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my point is the pick should not have had so much protection. IF pens won the lotto (1st - 3 picks) or top ten then pens keep is what guerin should have negotiated , 11-15 should have been minnesota's pick. now thanks to guerins deal we could end up with a crappy pick also if addison doesn't produce we could lose zucker for NOTHING! that really ticks me off, why aren't more posters upset? 25G gone.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
my point is the pick should not have had so much protection. IF pens won the lotto (1st - 3 picks) or top ten then pens keep is what guerin should have negotiated , 11-15 should have been minnesota's pick. now thanks to guerins deal we could end up with a crappy pick also if addison doesn't produce we could lose zucker for NOTHING! that really ticks me off, why aren't more posters upset? 25G gone.
Your logic doesn’t make sense. If we wanted a sure 25g we wouldn’t have traded for a pick at all. As there’s no guarantee. This why you generally get more “unknowns” in these trades

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

BG got a haul for a Zucker. Out of everything he’s done, that trade was the best. Not really sure how you could be upset with it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The 4 Colorado games should tell us quite a bit.

I'm interested in seeing how we play against Arizona too. They were the one team in this division that's "on our tier", whereas the California teams are a step below, and the other three are a step above.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm interested in seeing how we play against Arizona too. They were the one team in this division that's "on our tier", whereas the California teams are a step below, and the other three are a step above.

I don't even think we've proven that the Californians are below us.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The 4 Colorado games should tell us quite a bit.
2 wins in the next 6 would bring us to 14 points in 14 games. That’s typically around at 10-12 range for a pick, and Pittsburgh’s pick would be a nice cherry on top of that if they continue to play this poorly.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
2 wins in the next 6 would bring us to 14 points in 14 games. That’s typically around at 10-12 range for a pick, and Pittsburgh’s pick would be a nice cherry on top of that if they continue to play this poorly.

Until I actually see us play against the upper echelon, I'm mentally prepared for us to get rolled.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Unfortunately I think this team is going to play to their competition.

The only chance of us playing to a Colorado, Vegas or St. Louis level is if the goaltenders stand on their head or Fiala/Kaprizov have multi point games. There isn't enough skill on this team to play to that level otherwise.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The only chance of us playing to a Colorado, Vegas or St. Louis level is if the goaltenders stand on their head or Fiala/Kaprizov have multi point games. There isn't enough skill on this team to play to that level otherwise.
Honestly I’m confused on what that level is simply because we have beat the kings three times and the kings took care of business with the blues and avs. I know on paper we are not a match but they don’t seem to be the well oiled machines yet. Vegas looks to be firing on all cylinders though

Reactions: keppel146
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad