Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Now’s as good a time to get this going as ever. Team is 4-3 against bad teams, powerplay is abysmal, we have the center depth of an AHL Allstar team, and our coach seems content to never practice again. I’m not all aboard, but I certainly wouldn’t be mad at another top 10 pick. Judd, let’s get after it.
5F6E419A-6791-46C6-9786-61AEFD453C5F.png

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Our 6 games leading up to the trade deadline are against Colorado, St. Louis and Vegas, so hopefully losing 5/6 of those pushes Guerin into selling. I just see no reason to pretend this year is worth sacrificing long term assets we could get, even if we are sitting in fourth in the division at the deadline. Move Bjugstad, Bonino and Johansson at the deadline, and roll something this for the final month of the season:

Zuccarello-Eriksson Ek-Kaprizov
Boldy-Rask-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Greenway
x-Johnson-Hartman

Lose games, get a better draft pick, acquire draft picks via trade, get Boldy acclimated, burn his first year so it's offset from Rossi's.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Our 6 games leading up to the trade deadline are against Colorado, St. Louis and Vegas, so hopefully losing 5/6 of those pushes Guerin into selling. I just see no reason to pretend this year is worth sacrificing long term assets we could get, even if we are sitting in fourth in the division at the deadline. Move Bjugstad, Bonino and Johansson at the deadline, and roll something this for the final month of the season:

Boldy-Rask-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Greenway
x-Johnson-Hartman

Lose games, get a better draft pick, acquire draft picks via trade, get Boldy acclimated, burn his first year so it's offset from Rossi's.
51217936-FF7B-4C82-B815-B8B90618ECB8.jpeg

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Boldy-Rask-Fiala
Foligno-Sturm-Greenway
x-Johnson-Hartman

Yeah, the frozen 4 is penciled in for April 8th, so Boldy will probably get a monthish of seasoning if we want him to. Would be pretty fun to get our eyes on him. On another note, I’ll be pumped if we can get a 2nd rounder for any of Bonino, Bjugstad, Johansson

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, the frozen 4 is penciled in for April 8th, so Boldy will probably get a monthish of seasoning if we want him to. Would be pretty fun to get our eyes on him. On another note, I’ll be pumped if we can get a 2nd rounder for any of Bonino, Bjugstad, Johansson

I still think Bonino can fetch a second just on reputation alone. We could do ourselves a favor if we put him in a role he's actually good at though, like the third line between Greenway and Foligno, for instance.

I think April 16th would be the first game Boldy would play in. We have 14 games after that. If we didn't want to burn his first year he would play on April 30th for the first time, which gives him two weeks to practice. That is, if Evason ever decides to practice again.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I still think Bonino can fetch a second just on reputation alone. We could do ourselves a favor if we put him in a role he's actually good at though, like the third line between Greenway and Foligno, for instance.

I think April 16th would be the first game Boldy would play in. We have 14 games after that. If we didn't want to burn his first year he would play on April 30th for the first time, which gives him two weeks to practice. That is, if Evason ever decides to practice again.
Hopefully he doesn’t come in and ruin the tank.

3 point game in Nashville

I think losing to LAK would be big for the tank, because we’ll probably go below .500 in our 8 game stretch of Colorado (x4) Arizona (x2) and St. Louis (do the math)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Luminaries like Bonino, MoJo, Cole, Bjugstad and the like will likely not be moved till the TDL, to lessen the cap effect on the acquiring team. If they don't start playing better then I don't see any team being very interested in them, TBH. Maybe a team like EDM if we retain, but who knows if they are going to make the playoffs?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’m hoping we can trade Foligno along with our one year rental projects we signed on. Nice guy and decent play style but just not the dude I want here. Start the youth movement for forwards our defense will be dinosaurs for awhile

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Man, Foligno is not the guy I would want to move, especially if there is a chance that we lose Greenway in the ED. Anyone else notice that he has been an interested onlooker during Greenway's scrums so far this year, looking on like a proud Papa?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I don’t mind tanking but...

I had heard rumblings, I’ve seen reports, a draft eligible’s parent told me this, I saw on insider trading that there was talk/traction for a 19 year old draft, and now I’ve heard from someone who would know....

Cancelling the draft this year is in play.

The earliest any picks would be in use is 2022, in what would be one f***ing weird draft or a 19 year old draft...

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t mind tanking but...

I had heard rumblings, I’ve seen reports, a draft eligible’s parent told me this, I saw on insider trading that there was talk/traction for a 19 year old draft, and now I’ve heard from someone who would know....

Cancelling the draft this year is in play.

The earliest any picks would be in use is 2022, in what would be one f***ing weird draft or a 19 year old draft...

If they're entirely cancelling the draft and moving to a 19 year old draft from here on out, draft pick ownership wouldn't change. Our PIT 2021 1st would convert to a PIT 2022 1st. Same class, same picks, just a year later.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
If they're entirely cancelling the draft and moving to a 19 year old draft from here on out, draft pick ownership wouldn't change. Our PIT 2021 1st would convert to a PIT 2022 1st. Same class, same picks, just a year later.
I would think this is the most likely scenario. Considering the CHL has barely played I do understand, but if you’re the worst team this year you have to wait another year for help ?

This is going to be interesting to follow.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would think this is the most likely scenario. Considering the CHL has barely played I do understand, but if you’re the worst team this year you have to wait another year for help ?

Yeah it might throw a wrench into some things for the next year, but in the long run it would probably help immensely with that extra year of development to scout and hope you end up with the better player long term. And not too much of a loss, considering 18 year olds don't do much in the NHL as is. If there was a year to to just rip the bandaid off on it, it would be this year.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Yeah it might throw a wrench into some things for the next year, but in the long run it would probably help immensely with that extra year of development to scout and hope you end up with the better player long term. And not too much of a loss, considering 18 year olds don't do much in the NHL as is. If there was a year to to just rip the bandaid off on it, it would be this year.
Agreed on all counts, I was in elite hockey for years and man the best player of the age group changed every year. A year changes so much, I do think it would be fair to allow the top 5 18’s in an age group to enter early, we do see that usually there’s roughly that number that make 9 games, maybe 3 that stay and perform. I don’t follow the nhl like I used to but my point is I think 18’s should be allowed, but how does this affect FA status ?

it’s a can of worms but I know some prospects would like the extra year to push themselves into 1st round status.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
selling Bonino, Johansson, and Bjugstad for sure. Move Dumba if the price is right. Hartman might be moved since his QO will be a lot higher than he is worth plus any contending team would like to have him for a bottom 6 role.

bring johnson in, bring Mayhew in, I'm ok with Boldy coming in, but do you think the FO want to burn a year of his ELC?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn't burn a year of Boldys ELC. Definitely bring him in for the 5 games or so to give him a taste of the NHL, and give him an idea of how much he has to improve to be an NHL'er. Best way for him and the team is to bring him into camp next fall, and start fresh.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

IIRC, even if we tank this year and do well next year, it won't affect the 2021 draft even if it is in 2022. And in fact, it might be better TO tank this year, because scouts will have an extra year to research the 2021 prospects (19-20 year olds).

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

How would that work if for instance Pit makes the playoffs this year. the draft is pushed back. Next season they miss and the pick turns into 3rd overall. Wouldn't the Pens throw a huge fit saying that we should've gotten a late first rounder? Same vice versa if they miss this year and make it next. Wouldn't the Wild be mad? I'm all for pushing back a draft 1 year but I just see a lot of headaches coming.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the scary part about really tanking is kaprizov getting frustrated and demanding a trade. i will repeat we should have brought in a decent center. we should have brought in a complimentary player for kaprizov & we should have found a slightly better goalie than talbot. i wont mind missing playoffs and landing a good pick but its a dangerous game with kaprizov not locked up. pens seem to be going for it so im not sure whether or not we get a good pick (thx guerin)

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
the scary part about really tanking is kaprizov getting frustrated and demanding a trade. i will repeat we should have brought in a decent center. we should have brought in a complimentary player for kaprizov & we should have found a slightly better goalie than talbot. i wont mind missing playoffs and landing a good pick but its a dangerous game with kaprizov not locked up. pens seem to be going for it so im not sure whether or not we get a good pick (thx guerin)
Kaprizov isn't demanding a trade after 1 season. Plus Guerin has no control over how well the Pens play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad