Proposal: Offer Sheets

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
All I am saying is that GM's have a job to do and they have to treat it like a business.

The ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup not make buddies with other GM's to go out and have drinks with them.

Yet, you offer sheet other team players, they offer sheet our players in the future... seen anyone offer sheet Subban when his contract was up ? Not saying it's because we don't offer sheet anyone, but it most certainly played a part, even though he was a juicy target.

Anyway, since 2006, 8 players have signed an offer sheet, all have been matched but 1 (Dustin Penner, which costed Edmonton their 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks in 2008), no offer in the last 2 years, only 2 offers in the last 5 years...

Too risky, 'politically' wise...

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Yet, you offer sheet other team players, they offer sheet our players in the future... seen anyone offer sheet Subban when his contract was up ? Not saying it's because we don't offer sheet anyone, but it most certainly played a part, even though he was a juicy target.

Anyway, since 2006, 8 players have signed an offer sheet, all have been matched but 1 (Dustin Penner, which costed Edmonton their 1st, 2nd and 3rd picks in 2008), no offer in the last 2 years, only 2 offers in the last 5 years...

Too risky, 'politically' wise...

Well other then Chuck we have no other RFA's that need new deals in the next 5 + years.

GM's aren't paid to act nice. They are paid to win and get a cup

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well other then Chuck we have no other RFA's that need new deals in the next 5 + years.

GM's aren't paid to act nice. They are paid to win and get a cup

I agree with you there. However getting a cup (trading for improvements) is a bit more possible if you have good relations with your counterparts on other teams.

I

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I agree with you there. However getting a cup (trading for improvements) is a bit more possible if you have good relations with your counterparts on other teams.

I

True, but GM's usually have their regular trading partners.

Saint-Louis for example is not one.

Same goes for your rivals in the East IMO.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
That isn't an option here, both Chicago and St. Louis would match right away. You're not getting Tarasenko or Saad.

You think with Chicago's cap problem they would match any offer ?

Think again my friend. Anything above 6-6.5 AAV for Saad and they take the OS.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
You think with Chicago's cap problem they would match any offer ?

Think again my friend. Anything above 6-6.5 AAV for Saad and they take the OS.

Chicago can match it then resolve their cap issues later. We don't have cap space for that either, where does that 6.5m of free cap space come from? Bergevin won't offer sheet his former team, he has too much respect for them.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
You're grasping at straws here.

Offer sheets are just not a good idea.

Offer sheets work (in the sense that you manage to get the player you are trying to poach) only when the poaching team values the target more than the player's current team.

Offer sheeting Tarasenko is pointles, both MTL and STL value him as top-line winger, so contract offer that would make sense for Habs makes sense for STL and ends up matched with no upside for MTL, but potential downside (if it makes dealing with STL more difficult later on).

For a succesful offer sheet you have to target a borderline case, and be willing to pay for potential when the player's current team does not see it.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
the law of averages dictate that there will be more offer sheets coming...and soon too..

So who is next...anyone?

I would never say MB would never offer sheet anyone...i could see him doing it if it made sense.. MB wants a cup and he knows what this team needs...If an offer sheet is his only avenue i see him taking it..Will he do it? i dont know..if i knew i would be buying lottery tickets right now instead of typing here..

All that being said, we need patience in montreal more than anything..were almost there..I have faith MB will get us there.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Did it do anything with Holmgren dealing with other GM's ? No.

Listen GM's are in it to win it. Not "maintain good relationships". Especially when it is with a rival or a team you never ever trade with.

Just to come back to this, I read there were rumours that Nashville ownership nixed a trade for Lecavalier because of the Weber offer sheet, it was just a rumour but very possible.

We know the whole Burke vs Lowe saga when Edmonton signed Penner to that offer sheet.

In 2008, the Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet, St. Louis matched it then wen't back at the Canucks 7 days later and signed Steve Bernier to an OS, which was matched as well.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Just to come back to this, I read there were rumours that Nashville ownership nixed a trade for Lecavalier because of the Weber offer sheet, it was just a rumour but very possible.

We know the whole Burke vs Lowe saga when Edmonton signed Penner to that offer sheet.

In 2008, the Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet, St. Louis matched it then wen't back at the Canucks 7 days later and signed Steve Bernier to an OS, which was matched as well.

All I am saying is that this might change with the compensation being lower now + the thin UFA market.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I said reasonable ;) There's no chance St. Louis doesn't match any offer to Tarasenko, unless it's something ridiculous like 11 million

I'd pay 11 milion for tarasenko. Superstars are underpaid in hockey. The suporting caste comes and goes, but it's Kane, Toews, and Keith that are the backbone of Chicago's stanley cup runs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad