Proposal: Offer Sheets

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Bergevin does not come across as an offer sheet kind of guy..few GM's are...and with good reasons.

The last time an offer sheet was accepted was 2007..and tell me that didn't leave some bad feelings between Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke. In the past 18 years there have been ten offers sheets...one (10%) was accepted. It's not worth the scrutiny and resulting dissension.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I like this new RFA deals. It happens in football all the time. I think teams that want to risk it, they take the risk of not signing their players before they become RFA. I don't see why other teams should miss out because of the stigma.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
But as the player who gets offer sheeted, would you want to play for a dirty GM?

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
This.

If anyone thinks it's a "respect" thing they're dreaming.

The reason you don't see offer sheets is because they turn out to be disasters like Penner, or like Kessel, where you get a good player but give up several more.

What'd I miss?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
We're better off trying to make a deal for Drasaitl or Staal. Time to do everything possible to put our hands on an elite center. Thankfully they're overloaded with them in Edmonton, and Carolina is going to lose Staal after this season if they don't do anything. They're two prime targets. Time to make something happen !

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Let's look at offer sheets from a different point of view:

Is Galchenyuk worth $3.36 million and a second round pick to another team?

Is Beaulieu worth up to $1.68M and a third round pick to another team?

If so, MB has to match. Then where does he get the free funds to acquire a high level RFA without trading, and what does he have to trade that won't require a return in contract?

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
We're better off trying to make a deal for Drasaitl or Staal. Time to do everything possible to put our hands on an elite center. Thankfully they're overloaded with them in Edmonton, and Carolina is going to lose Staal after this season if they don't do anything. They're two prime targets. Time to make something happen !

I'm sure Draisaitl will be great, but if we're trying to win now, I'm not sure he's the way to go!

I do like the idea of Staal though. I think he's a bit underrated. I'd pick him over Thornton.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Let's look at offer sheets from a different point of view:

Is Galchenyuk worth $3.36 million and a second round pick to another team?

Is Beaulieu worth up to $1.68M and a third round pick to another team?

If so, MB has to match. Then where does he get the free funds to acquire a high level RFA without trading, and what does he have to trade that won't require a return in contract?

I'm pretty sure if a team offer sheets our RFAs they'll offer them amounts that make things a bit more difficult for us than that. I wouldn't want to give Galchenyuk $5.5M (or whatever the cutoff is) but I wouldn't want to trade for a 1st, 2nd and third either. It'd be tough calls if the poaching team does it right.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Just looking at the list of RFAs and am wondering if Montreal should try and fix scoring problems through offer sheets. Obviously guys like Stepan and Saad are the first to come to mind but they will be difficult to pry out and very expensive. Some other names I see that could probably be had from cap strapped teams are Toffoli, Granlund and Hagelin. Brock Nelson and Jimmy Hayes could be prime targets too to add size into the top six. Anyone else that could reasonably be had?

The problem is, you then open yourself up for the same with Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and other young guys down the road.

Plus teams match 95% of the time...so you piss of people for no reason.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Offer sheets rarely happen nowadays, exactly because you open yourself for future backstabbing... and Bergevin (Habs organization overall, in fact), is too classy for that.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I love the *he is too classy for that* we are talking about the same guy that pushed Gorges out of MTL and told Gomez to stay home. It is an age of Parity. You have to do what you got to do to win a cup.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I love the *he is too classy for that* we are talking about the same guy that pushed Gorges out of MTL and told Gomez to stay home. It is an age of Parity. You have to do what you got to do to win a cup.

Signing players to offer sheets doesn't win you the cup.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Signing players to offer sheets doesn't win you the cup.

You honestly think that a team like us or the Rangers OF a guy like Tarasenko it won't put them over the top ?

K.

Business is business. The NHL is ruthless like any other business. Offer Sheets should be practised way more. Want to keep on seeing a dynasty like Chicago win year and year out ? Don't do offersheets.

I can guarantee you that is McDavid is an RFA after him ELC he will get Offersheeted by every team in the league. With the weak pool on NHL free agents and team locking up their stars until they retire it is the only way that teams will get better and force them to be careful about the cap.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

You can't really be serious about Gomez and Gorges. They both more than overstayed their welcome.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
You can't really be serious about Gomez and Gorges. They both more than overstayed their welcome.

All I am saying is that GM's have a job to do and they have to treat it like a business.

The ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup not make buddies with other GM's to go out and have drinks with them.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
You honestly think that a team like us or the Rangers OF a guy like Tarasenko it won't put them over the top ?

K.

Business is business. The NHL is ruthless like any other business. Offer Sheets should be practised way more. Want to keep on seeing a dynasty like Chicago win year and year out ? Don't do offersheets.

I can guarantee you that is McDavid is an RFA after him ELC he will get Offersheeted by every team in the league. With the weak pool on NHL free agents and team locking up their stars until they retire it is the only way that teams will get better and force them to be careful about the cap.

Signing players to offer sheets doesn't help. You manage to negotiate with Tarasenko and he signs an offer sheet, now what? St. Louis matches it right away. Sign Taffoli, Stepan, Hagelin etc to an offer sheet they all get matched right away then all you get from it is the chance of a counter offer sheet and a sour GM that might not trade with you anymore.

Did Philly win the cup because they signed Weber to an offer sheet? No.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Signing players to offer sheets doesn't help. You manage to negotiate with Tarasenko and he signs an offer sheet, now what? St. Louis matches it right away. Sign Taffoli, Stepan, Hagelin etc to an offer sheet they all get matched right away then all you get from it is the chance of a counter offer sheet and a sour GM that might not trade with you anymore.

Did Philly win the cup because they signed Weber to an offer sheet? No.

Did it do anything with Holmgren dealing with other GM's ? No.

Listen GM's are in it to win it. Not "maintain good relationships". Especially when it is with a rival or a team you never ever trade with.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
All I am saying is that GM's have a job to do and they have to treat it like a business.

The ultimate goal is to win the Stanley Cup not make buddies with other GM's to go out and have drinks with them.

I think there's reason you seldom see offer sheets. Almost always the original team will sign the player and all you've got for your efforts is an alienated GM who might be off your trade partner list for a very long time.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Did it do anything with Holmgren dealing with other GM's ? No.

Listen GM's are in it to win it. Not "maintain good relationships". Especially when it is with a rival or a team you never ever trade with.

How do you know this?

I'm all for being in it to win it, but signing Tarasenko to an offer sheet does you no good, the blues will just match it. This isn't Dustin Penner we're talking about here lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad