Proposal: Offer Sheets

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Just looking at the list of RFAs and am wondering if Montreal should try and fix scoring problems through offer sheets. Obviously guys like Stepan and Saad are the first to come to mind but they will be difficult to pry out and very expensive. Some other names I see that could probably be had from cap strapped teams are Toffoli, Granlund and Hagelin. Brock Nelson and Jimmy Hayes could be prime targets too to add size into the top six. Anyone else that could reasonably be had?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
base on nhl rules, offer sheets are always the follow season's draft.

Phil Kessel for 1st the year after, 1st and 2nd 2 years after.

If we offer Tarasenko example. it would not be this year's first. it'll be next years' first, we do have a second round pick, we have two from Gorges' trade.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I expect quite a bit of player movement at this years draft, Bergevin fill look to solidify the bottom six and he will get MSL as a ufa. :handclap::handclap:

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
When you offer sheet someone you risk ruining a relationship with a GM and having them then counter with an offer sheet of their own, any reasonable offer will get matched anyways. Saad would be an interesting candidate for an offer sheet as Chicago has very little cap space right now, I doubt Bergevin would do that to his former team though.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
We have our own RFA's to worry about right now. Get Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, and Tinordi locked up and then we can think about offer sheets.

Not against it at all, teams should be more willing to do it. I don't think we should go out and go crazy. But any divisional team who we are unlikely to trade with anyways, why not?

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
You're probably kidding but just to give an idea of what that can represent :

Price
Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
McDonagh
Sherbak
McCarron
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Leblanc
Fischer
Chipchura
Kostitsyn

:laugh:

Outside of Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Price and McDonagh (cursed be Gainey!!) I'd easily sacrifice them all to the gods to get Tarasenko.

I was kidding about 12 1st rounders but I think with Timmins' batting average and the team have success in the regular season we can afford to barter 3 or 4 first rounders for Tarasenko. We can add Desharnais and a signed Dandenault jersey for leverage :sarcasm:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

If we offer Tarasenko example. it would not be this year's first. it'll be next years' first, we do have a second round pick, we have two from Gorges' trade.

Of course it wouldn't be this year's, July 1st is after the draft.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I said reasonable ;) There's no chance St. Louis doesn't match any offer to Tarasenko, unless it's something ridiculous like 11 million

Do it.

Lol, probably not actually, but in order to get someone like that we'd have to do something desperate.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

Seeing how July 1st is the deal guys become free agents either RFA or UFA, the draft had taken place about a week before, it I mean you really can't take picks you used a few days before.

Also the picks have to be your own, for example if a team traded its 1st round pick but re-acquired a 1st round pick from another team, it can't offer sheet player.

A misconception about offersheet IMO is that GM are against it because it upset other GM.

That really isn't the case, when Burke was trying to get Burke, he was actually willing to sign him to that offersheet, he had actually traded away a 2nd round pick to MTL for Grabo which we then traded to for Lang, he needed that pick back before he can sign Kessel to an offersheet, he traded a 2nd and a 3rd to the Hawks to get that 2nd round pick back.

I think most GM are in currently talks about offersheet, and the reason Burke didn't sign Kessel to an offersheet is because he knew Boston would match, which is why he paid more to get Kessel in a trade then he would have had to give up by using him to an offersheet.

Most GM get upset if you sign an RFA without trying to acquire him first via trade or anything, which is why Burke was upset at Lowe in the Dustin Penner offersheet.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
It's always an option but very few GMs choose to use it because of the backfire that could follow. It's a sticky situation.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Its a cap era. You got to get dirty sometimes.

I hate this "respect" between GMs. You do what you have to do to win.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
The main reason you don't see many offer sheets isn't because of 'respect' between GMs, it's because, in the vast majority of cases, it means that not only do you end up with a player being paid more than he should be worth, but you have to give up draft picks for the privilege.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
The main reason you don't see many offer sheets isn't because of 'respect' between GMs, it's because, in the vast majority of cases, it means that not only do you end up with a player being paid more than he should be worth, but you have to give up draft picks for the privilege.

This.

If anyone thinks it's a "respect" thing they're dreaming.

The reason you don't see offer sheets is because they turn out to be disasters like Penner, or like Kessel, where you get a good player but give up several more.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

I think St. Louis in the 90's backfiring massively is what turned everyone off of offer sheets. Only been two offer sheets not matched in the last 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad