Offer Sheet Thread

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
They should look at adjusting the compensation for offer sheets...as it is right now, teams either matching any offer or teams aren't willing to give up, what I think is too much compensation in draft picks.

Then draft your own player and develop them.

Offer sheets exist to protect the RFA player from one sided negotiations, not to help teams with poor drafting/dev.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think the only guy I might target is Kapanen.
If the leafs find they can't hit 4m AAV, a 15-20m offer over 5 years or so might get it done. We'd only be risking a second. If it doesn't work, so be it, we have a divisional/historic rival even more cash strapped.

I honestly don't think the leafs could match though, look at any roster/cap projections for them next year leaf fans are all counting on Kapanen taking 2.5-3m aav.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
There will probably never be another offer sheet of significance. The GMs won't do it to one another and the cost is too high in draft picks. It should just be forgotten about.

Reactions: Milhouse40

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Then draft your own player and develop them.
I'll get right on that.

O
ffer sheets exist to protect the RFA player from one sided negotiations, not to help teams with poor drafting/dev.
Not sure where you got that that's what I thought...I never said jack **** about helping teams who draft poorly.

And offer sheets don't just exist to protect RFA players from one sided negotiations...they are, just like trades, or signings, player procurement mechanisms.

The issue is no team uses them because again, the compensation is out of wack IMO.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Perhaps all these threats of offer sheets to RFAs are nothing but bluster. However, based on the 2018-2019 season and current playoff production, I can envision Mitch Marner ending up earning a higher per season salary than Auston Matthews ($11.43M for 5 seasons), say $12 for 5 seasons.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
If the NHL wants to keep the offer sheet rule alive, they need to revise it in the next CBA. The fear of losing lots of draft picks while having to significantly overpay to get the rights-owning team not match is keeping the GMs away from offering anything. Bringing the offer sheets back to life would require decreasing the compensation rules and that could generate lots of rather unnecessary conflict between the NHLPA and the owners. I don't think they'll do anything about it and we'll probably never going to see a meaningful offer sheet again.

Reactions: 417

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yup, you're right. Good call. We could offer sheet a Kapanen little over 4 million for 5 years and only surrender a 2nd round pick. Makes it tough on Leafs signing a Marner

Leafs have lots of time to sign Kapanen and Jonsson now. They'll get signed before Marner and before July 1st.

Don't see either getting that much. Probably 2-3 years, $2,25m-$3,5m.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Offer sheets will rarely if ever work.

Its less to do with the draft compensation and more about inflating every RFA contract in the future. How do you get RFAs to sign? Overpay by a lot, to the point where the other team can't justify it. If its ever in the ballpark of what the original team was negotiating around it will be matched. You don't get 1 gm pissed off at you, 29 other GMs will be down your throat because you just started a fire across the league. I do wish GMs were more aggressive and cared less about the ramifications but I understand why they are so infrequent. The downside is huge with a very low chance of a successful offer sheet.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Leafs have lots of time to sign Kapanen and Jonsson now. They'll get signed before Marner and before July 1st.

Don't see either getting that much. Probably 2-3 years, $2,25m-$3,5m.
If Kapanen has a brain, he waits till July 1st to see what happens with Marner, because he might be the one offer-sheeted and get something nice after all. Nylander set the field, now Marner and Kapanen should play hardball with Du(m)bas(s).

I would totally offer-sheet Marner. Don't give a f*** if we lose 4 1sts. Our 1sts usually end up busting or underwhelming, and with Marner in the fold (along with our young core), we are definitely set for some playoff action.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I'll get right on that.

O
Not sure where you got that that's what I thought...I never said jack **** about helping teams who draft poorly.

And offer sheets don't just exist to protect RFA players from one sided negotiations...they are, just like trades, or signings, player procurement mechanisms.

The issue is no team uses them because again, the compensation is out of wack IMO.
The compensation is out of whack on purpose, like the poster said, they are designed to protect the player from one sided negotiations. This is why they exist.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I think the only guy I might target is Kapanen.
If the leafs find they can't hit 4m AAV, a 15-20m offer over 5 years or so might get it done. We'd only be risking a second. If it doesn't work, so be it, we have a divisional/historic rival even more cash strapped.

I honestly don't think the leafs could match though, look at any roster/cap projections for them next year leaf fans are all counting on Kapanen taking 2.5-3m aav.
I'm down for this. It would take the rivalry to a whole new level.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's another thing most forget. The player has to accept the offer. I'd laugh if MON offered Matthews 15M a season and he refused, only to sign for 12M a season with TOR.

I think GM's are quasi-colluding. If they weren't there would be more offer sheets thrown out there. If a player makes it to RFA status, there's nothing to lose by offer sheeting, assuming the player you would get is worth more than the draft picks you lose. If the player signs, you win. If the player doesn't sign, you drive up your opponents cap hits. Yet, we don't see offer sheets.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I think GM's are quasi-colluding. If they weren't there would be more offer sheets thrown out there. If a player makes it to RFA status, there's nothing to lose by offer sheeting, assuming the player you would get is worth more than the draft picks you lose. If the player signs, you win. If the player doesn't sign, you drive up your opponents cap hits. Yet, we don't see offer sheets.

When Lowe hit Burke with an offer sheet, one of Burke's public complaints essentially endorsed collusion. He said the way to handle it is for the offeror GM to call the offeree GM and ask if they would match the proposed offer. If the answer is yes, don’t tender it to the player.

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The compensation is out of whack on purpose, like the poster said, they are designed to protect the player from one sided negotiations. This is why they exist.
I understand WHY they're designed that way...that's not what i'm arguing.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I don't think people realize that the player has to accept the offer. I don't see no reason for RFA to sign an offersheet with us unless their is something bad between them.

I keep hearing that we should send Marner an offersheet and see if he'll accept. That's not how it works.

They negociate with the player and come to agreement then we become aware of the offersheet. Marner has no reason to leave Toronto and won't sign with us.

We have trouble to sign any good UFA. Why would it be different with RFA (Offersheet)

Reactions: Milhouse40

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You don't see offer sheet......cause you don't have to.

Let's say we offer sheet Marner with a 12M - 7 years deal.
Marner goes back to Dubas with the offer and start negotiating base on that offer.
Then eventually reach a deal base on that offer sheet.

You won't still know about it but there was an offer sheet being made.
Sometimes fans forget that a player has to accept the offer to make it public and once it's public, even if the team match it or not, a media shitstorm follows that offer and every players are aware of it.

If i was a player, the last thing i would do is publicly accept an offer sheet.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think people realize that the player has to accept the offer. I don't see no reason for RFA to sign an offersheet with us unless their is something bad between them.

I keep hearing that we should send Marner an offersheet and see if he'll accept. That's not how it works.

They negociate with the player and come to agreement then we become aware of the offersheet. Marner has no reason to leave Toronto and won't sign with us.

We have trouble to sign any good UFA. Why would it be different with RFA (Offersheet)
This whole offer sheet talk is just talking for talk... When was the last successful offer sheet?

There's like 30 cases in the whole history of the NHL for god sake... And the majority have been matched so why even bother...

PS: Last successful offer sheet was in 2007...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad