Offer Sheet Thread

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How many picks would it cost us if we offered and landed a player for $10M?

2 First Round Picks, 1 Second Round Pick, 1 Third Round Pick if it is for 5 years or less. 4 1st if it is 6-7 years.

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
  • number of years offered, or
  • five (5) years

$0 - $1,339,575No Compensation
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$1,339,576 - $2,029,6591 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$2,029,660 - $4,059,3221 Second Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$4,059,323 - $6,088,9801 First Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$6,088,981 - $8,118,6411 First Round Pick
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$8,118,642 - $10,148,3022 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$10,148,303 - ∞4 First Round Picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Deebs

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs got Tavares for free in the unrestricted market.....offer sheeting and giving up 2 to 4, 1st round picks for one player is ridiculous unless its a generalization talent......and they dont get to that point.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
There won't be any offer sheets happening. Likely many trades will go down. Everybody has learned their lessons with offer sheets in the past.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’m not opposed to it, but i think it’s better to target a lesser but high potential player to lose less picks.

Let the leafs sign Marner then offer sheet Kapenen

Or go after Kyle Connor.

Someone we can sign for less
Yup, you're right. Good call. We could offer sheet a Kapanen little over 4 million for 5 years and only surrender a 2nd round pick. Makes it tough on Leafs signing a Marner

Reactions: Tighthead

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The point that I am trying to make is that they stopped doing offer sheets for those obvious reasons I have stated

And I'm saying those reasons are false. Offer sheets don't happen because it requires a perfect storm. It requires that the player actually wants to sign it. It requires that the players contract demands aren't outrageous to begin with. It requires that a team wants to give enough money that another team won't match it. It requires the chasing team to not only have the cap space, but also the proper draft picks. It also requires that the rival team be up against the cap. It also requires that the draft picks be worth it so eliminate any rebuilding teams.

23 teams can make an 8 Million dollar offersheet this year. But not all of those 23 are in a real position to make one. Of those 23 I'd guess that 15 are probably mindful that they are either lottery, or playoff bubble teams next year. That leave only 8 teams that are comfortably in offer-sheet territory. Couple of those 8 are in cap trouble so at the end of the day there will only ever be a handful of teams who are in a real position to even consider offer sheets.

Those are the reasons we don't have offer sheets.

that's why you have 8 offer sheets that happened in the 2000s. I already gave you Weber as an example before you mentioned it. Weber's contract is because of an offer sheet. You clearly missed my point of what I mean about the "blacklist". But anyways, carry on.

What does Weber's salary have to do with no more offer sheets? And what did you mean by blacklist? that they stop getting invited to the hippest GM parties?

Reactions: Sorinth

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
And I'm saying those reasons are false. Offer sheets don't happen because it requires a perfect storm. It requires that the player actually wants to sign it. It requires that the players contract demands aren't outrageous to begin with. It requires that a team wants to give enough money that another team won't match it. It requires the chasing team to not only have the cap space, but also the proper draft picks. It also requires that the rival team be up against the cap. It also requires that the draft picks be worth it so eliminate any rebuilding teams.

23 teams can make an 8 Million dollar offersheet this year. But not all of those 23 are in a real position to make one. Of those 23 I'd guess that 15 are probably mindful that they are either lottery, or playoff bubble teams next year. That leave only 8 teams that are comfortably in offer-sheet territory. Couple of those 8 are in cap trouble so at the end of the day there will only ever be a handful of teams who are in a real position to even consider offer sheets.

What does Weber's salary have to do with no more offer sheets? And what did you mean by blacklist? that they stop getting invited to the hippest GM parties?
Exactly. Blacklists aren’t real. Even though the Flyers made an offer sheet on Weber and put them in a difficult cap situation, the Flyers and Predators still made trades after that. The Flyers sent Wayne Simmonds there.

Reactions: angry pirate

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Most teams can get the really good players locked up. It's those second tier guys who could really start to cause some issues. Kevin Leblanc (SJ) Kapanen (TOR) Kerfoot (COL). The one more established guy who could be at risk in my opinion is William Karlsson. Vegas isn't in the greatest cap position.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Offer sheet werenski. Columbus will match it, but wont be able to resign matt duchene. After that, you sign matt duchene on ufa market

I'm pretty sure Matt Duchene will officially have a team at 12:00 on July 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) They wont let Kapanen go for just a 2nd pick. There is no reason to believe they wont be able to clear space.

2) Domi came from scoring 9 goals. But I'm not talking about the team hes with signing him. I could see him accept around a 3-4M deal, but offersheets are usually signed with bigger money involved. You overpay.

1) I would not go after offer sheets but I don't agree there is no reason to believe the Leafs won't be able to clear cap space. It's not impossible but thinking this will be easy is a massive stretch. They will try to move Zaitsev but that will require them liquidating him and what team is going to take on that contract without getting something on top or the asking the Leafs to retain?

2) Domi won't sign any offer sheet unless we are being really cheap with him in contract negotiations. Doubt this will happen but we will see. Do we extend him this off season or wait? Based on his first year in Montreal, what would Domi agree to if we negotiate a extension this off season? That's a tough question

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
1) I would not go after offer sheets but I don't agree there is no reason to believe the Leafs won't be able to clear cap space. It's not impossible but thinking this will be easy is a massive stretch. They will try to move Zaitsev but that will require them liquidating him and what team is going to take on that contract without getting something on top or the asking the Leafs to retain?

2) Domi won't sign any offer sheet unless we are being really cheap with him in contract negotiations. Doubt this will happen but we will see. Do we extend him this off season or wait? Based on his first year in Montreal, what would Domi agree to if we negotiate a extension this off season? That's a tough question

6.5x6years ... Might ask for 8x8y ...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
6.5x6years ... Might ask for 8x8y ...

One good year with 72 pts and 28 goals. Would he leave a bit of money on the table to sign an extension that works for him and the Habs this summer? Or he is looking to prove himself further and cash in next off season?

I'd certainly talk to his agent and ask them what they would want in 6, 7, and 8 year deals this off season. Then you go from there. Problem is if you are too cheap now, you might pay more later (example: Subban).

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
One good year with 72 pts and 28 goals. Would he leave a bit of money on the table to sign an extension that works for him and the Habs this summer? Or he is looking to prove himself further and cash in next off season?

I'd certainly talk to his agent and ask them what they would want in 6, 7, and 8 year deals this off season. Then you go from there. Problem is if you are too cheap now, you might pay more later (example: Subban).

He wants to stay now... might as well offer him something nice long term. Else, like you said, comes 2 years... he gets a 90 points season and it's 9m! (Wishful here)

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

You seem to be a true believer in offer sheets. However, nobody really tries and the reasons have been stated. It's a risky move and a low move to play around with your opponents salary cap. You don't have many friends after wether you get promoted or get invited to the hippiest parties.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
How about offer sheeting Laine?

If you think about it, the year he just had was like a blessing in disguise. How much is Winnipeg willing to pay a player that just had an extremely inconsistent season? From what I hear it was almost Drouin like. Would you be willing to pay a Drouin like player in term of consistency and effort 11m? 10m? Idk, maybe maybe not but was does Bergevin has to lose here?

He could make an offer just under the 4 1st rd pick compensation or get aggressive an go all out. With a hungry Price and the promising young team in front of him, the Habs will probably pick in the mid 1st or lower for the coming years (unless a lucky loterry win). Will they ever draft a player of Laine's caliber in the next 4 years if they keep the picks? I doubt it, why not just go for it. Again, absolutely nothing to lose.

Is it a dirty move? In the eyes of Winnipeg, yea off course it's a dirty move. But in the eyes of Laine, he would probably rather play in Montreal over Winnipeg. Not to blaspheme but he would definitely become a god in Montreal. Superstardom in Montreal would be a lot different than Winnipeg. Laine knows he can become a superstar and I'm sure he'd rather have a career in Montreal instead of Winnipeg.

On top of that, you add the Finnish connection plus ex-teammate Armia, the other young finns like Kotka and Lekhonen, the fans, the city... Why wouldn't he want to play here? I'm sure Armia could pick his brains and somewhat hint to the Canadiens management if he would be interested.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for Laine? Would it be a gamble to overpay? Definitely, but I feel like it would be a worthy one with good odds. I'd place my bets on a motivated Laine hungry to become a Montreal Canadiens legend any day.

With this new system, locker room, everyone buying in, all these factor leads me to believe that Laine would buy in aswell and become the best version of himself.

If I was Bergevin, I'd definitely offer sheet Laine.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Would you guys give Brayden Point a big offer sheet in the summer? I was thinking about if it would make sense for the Habs because he’s a 90 point two way centre but also plays on Tampa. Half of his chances come from Kuch and the PP. We don’t have a Kuch or a decent PP so he wouldn’t produce like a 90 point guy. Point would come to MTL and produce like a 60 point guy.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Would you guys give Brayden Point a big offer sheet in the summer? I was thinking about if it would make sense for the Habs because he’s a 90 point two way centre but also plays on Tampa. Half of his chances come from Kuch and the PP. We don’t have a Kuch or a decent PP so he wouldn’t produce like a 90 point guy. Point would come to MTL and produce like a 60 point guy.
I love Point since he was with the Warriors. He's always been a high output forward with grit. I don't think he'll be a consistent 90 point player, but definitely 80 going forward. He'll take less to stay in Tampa and I don't think we should offer as much as will be needed to sway him.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
How about offer sheeting Laine?

If you think about it, the year he just had was like a blessing in disguise. How much is Winnipeg willing to pay a player that just had an extremely inconsistent season? From what I hear it was almost Drouin like. Would you be willing to pay a Drouin like player in term of consistency and effort 11m? 10m? Idk, maybe maybe not but was does Bergevin has to lose here?

He could make an offer just under the 4 1st rd pick compensation or get aggressive an go all out. With a hungry Price and the promising young team in front of him, the Habs will probably pick in the mid 1st or lower for the coming years (unless a lucky loterry win). Will they ever draft a player of Laine's caliber in the next 4 years if they keep the picks? I doubt it, why not just go for it. Again, absolutely nothing to lose.

Is it a dirty move? In the eyes of Winnipeg, yea off course it's a dirty move. But in the eyes of Laine, he would probably rather play in Montreal over Winnipeg. Not to blaspheme but he would definitely become a god in Montreal. Superstardom in Montreal would be a lot different than Winnipeg. Laine knows he can become a superstar and I'm sure he'd rather have a career in Montreal instead of Winnipeg.

On top of that, you add the Finnish connection plus ex-teammate Armia, the other young finns like Kotka and Lekhonen, the fans, the city... Why wouldn't he want to play here? I'm sure Armia could pick his brains and somewhat hint to the Canadiens management if he would be interested.

The question is how much are you willing to pay for Laine? Would it be a gamble to overpay? Definitely, but I feel like it would be a worthy one with good odds. I'd place my bets on a motivated Laine hungry to become a Montreal Canadiens legend any day.

With this new system, locker room, everyone buying in, all these factor leads me to believe that Laine would buy in aswell and become the best version of himself.

If I was Bergevin, I'd definitely offer sheet Laine.
You raise some interesting points, however I too would be skeptical of offering Laine over $10 million a year. He’s had two excellent seasons under his belt prior to this one but this season was really the year he needed to take that next step. And he didn’t. He was wildly inconsistent, when he’s on he’s arguably the best goal scorer in the league but when he’s off, he doesn’t do too much. He had way too many instances of being “off” this season for my comfort.

I think Winnipeg offers him a 2 year bridge type deal and I think that’ll also be what he’s after. Bet on himself and the cap raise and try and secure $12+ million 2 years from now after 2 more great seasons.

I doubt Bergevin even has his eyes on Laine and I’m not sure how well he’d fit on a Claude Julien coached team.

If Bergevin gives someone an offer sheet this summer, which is already highly unlikely, it’ll be to Brayden Point.

Reactions: FLHabs

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
You raise some interesting points, however I too would be skeptical of offering Laine over $10 million a year. He’s had two excellent seasons under his belt prior to this one but this season was really the year he needed to take that next step. And he didn’t. He was wildly inconsistent, when he’s on he’s arguably the best goal scorer in the league but when he’s off, he doesn’t do too much. He had way too many instances of being “off” this season for my comfort.

I think Winnipeg offers him a 2 year bridge type deal and I think that’ll also be what he’s after. Bet on himself and the cap raise and try and secure $12+ million 2 years from now after 2 more great seasons.

I doubt Bergevin even has his eyes on Laine and I’m not sure how well he’d fit on a Claude Julien coached team.

If Bergevin gives someone an offer sheet this summer, which is already highly unlikely, it’ll be to Brayden Point.

Brayden Point would be an amazing add for sure. The way he plays would fit like a glove with this new Montreal system. But having a guy like Laine on the left half wall for the power play would completely change the game. Power play was the habs biggest weakness and that would more than solve it. His inconsistency definitely is a risk, but he's still young and if properly coached and surrounded I feel like he could become a more complete player.

But yea I definitely wouldn't be mad at getting a guy like Brayden Point. The question is would Brayden Point sign an offersheet knowing he'd be moving from a contender with guys like Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman, etc, to a bubble team like the Habs...

But like you said, either scenarios are highly unlikely haha

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They should look at adjusting the compensation for offer sheets...as it is right now, teams either matching any offer or teams aren't willing to give up, what I think is too much compensation in draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad